User Tag List

Page 90 of 103 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    The right choice of replacement tire might be different for an Imagine than for a Momentum . . .

Rob
    Thanks Rob, I should have stated my trailer is equipped with D rated tires. I most likely will not run them (E rated tires) at max pressure where I am after the heavier construction to provide a higher safety factor.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Thanks Rob, I should have stated my trailer is equipped with D rated tires. I most likely will not run them (E rated tires) at max pressure where I am after the heavier construction to provide a higher safety factor.
    MidwestCamper - If you complete a "signature" that will automatically go on the bottom of each of your posts, this will help others to better understand your comments/questions, based on your trailer and tow vehicle. (I figured out that you have an Imagine by looking at your profile)

E rated Endurance tires would be a good upgrade tire choice for an Imagine (in my opinion). Endurance tires are new to the marketplace . . . before this, Maxxis tires were the go-to tire in this size range and these have a long history of being good tires too.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Speaking of these high-rated tires...
    Wouldn't a set of 4 tires that are rated to carry let's say 16k-20k lbs be overkill on a trailer like mine that only weighs 9k fully loaded?
    Seems like most of you guys have big fifth wheels, your trailers weigh twice what my tiny 27 foot fifth wheel does, so for example if I put your tires
    on my trailer, wouldn't it bounce around a lot because the trailer is so much lighter than what the tires were designed for?
    Or, is the general consensus I should get tires with ratings much higher because they'll last longer?
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion anything above E rated is overkill for you. I ran E rated tires on two different 5th wheels (11k and 13K) for years without any problems and lots of interstate driving at 70mph.

A G rated tire is suited for the 14k and up weight categories .
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tires and the suspension should share the load and impact absorbing. Specs for both should stay reasonably close to the trailer weight being carried. To dramatically stiffen the suspension with much stronger springs or to dramatically stiffen the tires with much heavier side walls and higher air pressure, means that the other half (either springs or tires) is doing all the flexing. Stronger springs and/or stiffer tires also means that the trailer and contents will be suffering a rougher ride. Note that some tire companies offer air pressure tables based on load being carried. Running at the max pressure on the tire sidewall is not always necessary or advisable for best tire performance.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    .. Note that some tire companies offer air pressure tables based on load being carried.
    Running at the max pressure on the tire sidewall is not always necessary or advisable for best tire performance.

Rob
    Similar to car/truck tires then right? The tires on my truck say 80psi but I only run them at 60psi if I'm not towing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dallas, I have blown up and shredded at least a dozen tires. Everyone of them was a ST235/85R16 E rated tire. Some of the blow outs were self inflicted by not replacing the other tire on that side. From my Air Force loadmaster days I knew dang well I over loaded that other tire. With that being said I think there is something wrong with E rated tires. I would have tossed the new tires if they were not G rated. My Reno buddy swapped his E for G rated 2 years ago and included a trip to Oshkosh.
    Lyle & Judy and Annie the Westie
    Retired (Government employee/USMC/USAFR, Ret) & Retired (insurance industry)
    2018 F-350 CC LB DRW 4X4 6.7 (3.55)(Reese 18k "puck system")
    2018 Solitude 310GK (5500 Onan Genset)
    2020 F-150 SCSB XLT 2.7L 10 speed

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airrace View Post
    Dallas, I have blown up and shredded at least a dozen tires.
    Misery loves company! I'm on G rated tires so should be good to go for a while.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Somewhere in there is a joke about X-Rated tires, I just know it!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We picked up our new Imagine 3 weeks ago. As co-pilot most of the time, tire blow outs have always been my biggest concern. We took delivery in Sacramento, California. Our Westlake tires were manufactured 2717-3317 range. But how many miles were already put on the trailer tires to sales lot? Minimal?

I've been sick in bed and literally have read through this entire thread trying to make up my mind, replace our Westlake 225/75R15 117/112L now, run them for another 1000 miles or just replace them with the Goodyear Endurance which are in stock at our local tire shop for a great price with $60 mail-in-rebate?

Any suggestions from you seasoned veterans would be greatly appreciated.
    Julie

Julie and Tim
    2018 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
    2018 Ford Super Duty F-250 Crew Cab FX4
    1,200/12,000lb Equal-i-zer Hitch

Page 90 of 103 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast