User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Search for a 5th wheel

So, I've been pulling my Reflection 297rsts with no problems with my 2007.5 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax. Now, my wife and I have decided to look into getting a 5th wheel because we aren't getting any younger. It seems to me that pulling and setting up a 5er is much easier. Especially for someone that doesn't want to be crawling under the rig placing blocks everywhere, setting up the leveling bars and getting everything level.
    Here's what I understand after reading tons of posts on here.
    9200 gvwr-5980 truck-390 people-180 fuel-300 5th wheel hitch-350 pounds of stuff=2000 pounds left. That means I can have a pin weight of 2000 or less to be legal...right?

If my calculations are correct or if I forgot something to minus, please let me know. I don't want to make a purchase mistake and end up having to buy another truck. I just can't afford that right now.
    2022 Reflection 303RLS
    2021 Chevy 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ Crew Cab 4x4
    Blue Ox 5th wheel goose ball hitch/B&W turnover

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your available payload is likely less than the 2000 as well
    Only a cat scale will show that but you would be surprised if you have 2000
    Any 5th wheel will have you overloaded

3/4 ton diesel trucks unfortunately have low payload but there are tons on here that are at or over payload
    Now if you had a 1/2 ton those same people would tell you that you should be 20 percent under

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3/4-ton diesels, especially of that era, don’t have all that much payload, but you can still tow a good sized fifth wheel because you have a stout rear axle. Difference between a 2007 3/4-ton and 1-ton SRW is just rear springs.

You can tow any Reflection 150, I would think most if not all Reflections. Best to listen to people who have experience towing with a similar truck and ignore the noise.

Anyway your calculations look reasonable.
    Last edited by Easycamper; 06-05-2022 at 11:43 AM.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Easycamper View Post
    3/4-ton diesels, especially of that era, don’t have all that much payload, but you can still tow a good sized fifth wheel because you have a stout rear axle. Difference between a 2007 3/4-ton and 1-ton SRW is just rear springs.

You can tow any Reflection 150, I would think most if not all Reflections. Best to listen to people who have experience towing with a similar truck and ignore the noise.

Anyway your calculations look reasonable.
    I would qualify "... most if not all Reflections." The Reflection 337RLS (and its similarly-sized bunkhouse sister, etc.) will put approx. 3,000 lbs. on the pin if loaded anywhere near the GVWR. Use 23% of the fifth wheel's GVWR for an estimated loaded pin weight. As @NB Canada suggested, the CAT scale is your best friend regarding the truck. Fuel up, pile everyone in, and head for the scales. Add 200 lbs. to the rear axle weight you get for a fifth wheel hitch. Here is some reading material:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ing-Capability

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So after looking into a lot of this I learned a few things. I "could" add some leaf springs but still need to stay within truck gvwr (to be legal). I'll probably end up looking to get a 295 RL. However, if my truck weighs low enough, a 303RLS.
    2022 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by #1BamaFan View Post
    So after looking into a lot of this I learned a few things. I "could" add some leaf springs but still need to stay within truck gvwr (to be legal). I'll probably end up looking to get a 295 RL. However, if my truck weighs low enough, a 303RLS.
    Just to be clear, "legal" for weight is a term that only applies to commercial vehicles. For the rest of us it's about safety (ourselves and others on the road), longevity of your equipment, and how stressful or relaxed the towing experience is.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you think that the two models I've chosen to look at are towable with my truck?
    2022 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by #1BamaFan View Post
    Do you think that the two models I've chosen to look at are towable with my truck?
    Your truck will tow them (probably), but doesn't have the payload for them. Sorry.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Your truck will tow them (probably), but doesn't have the payload for them. Sorry.

Rob
    I towed a 295RL for three years with an '18 Ram 2500 with a Cummins. Payload on the truck was just under 2000 pounds. Honestly, the truck pulled great. I never had it weighed. The old adage "you didn't know it was back there" held true. However, I read too many of these posts where the payload police scared me. I was in a position to upgrade to a 3500 this spring and I did so. Bought a '22 3500 Limited with the HO oil burner and the Aisin transmission. Payload is somewhere around 3600 pounds. As was said previous the only difference between the two trucks is rear leafs vrs coils. I've only towed once with the new truck but was extremely happy. In all honestly I believe you will be over payload with your 2500 but you will not have any issues. I would not recommend a 303 though. Just my opinion.
    2019 Reflection 295RL. 2022 Ram 3500 Limited with a HO Cummins.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m towing a 278BH with an F-150. I’m quite confident the OP can tow a 295RL with a 2007.5 2500HD.

You may exceed the GVWR number on the door sticker if you go to the scales. I honestly don’t think you would anyway. You’ve got enough payload there.

The only difference between a 2500 and a 3500 of that year is the rear springs. You can increase the spring rate with airbags or any number of other suspension upgrades. You could even bolt on the actual springs from a 3500, but of course the number on the door sticker won’t change.

Probably none of that would be necessary with a 295RL. I wouldn’t hesitate to go a bit bigger. My opinion only.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast