User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Generator types

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Somewhat touched on above, the inverter generators tend to be much quieter than the non-inverter ones. The non-inverter are often less expensive per unit of power, but they are often open-framed and run at a single speed. Both factors make them louder, and can make you less popular when running them in a campground.

My Honda EU2000i is 8 years old and I’ve always run ethanol-free gasoline in it plus have used Sta-Bil additive. Part of why I chose the Honda was easy availability for a high-altitude carburetor jet. We often camp at 7,000-10,000’ elevation in the summer to escape the heat. And in tearing down my carb most years to make an off-season jet swap, I’ve yet to see any downside to leaving fuel in the unit.

Best regards,
    Chris
    2020 Solitude 310GK FBP
    2019 Ford F350 SRW CCSB AUH
    Former Rig - 2013 North Trail FBS22
    2013 Expedition EL

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    If I remember the WEN that I am looking at has a hose that will drain it. Everything I read it is VERY bad to run a generator out of fuel.
    Maybe
    just because you need to disconnect all loads before running it out of fuel.
    1st 5er- 2006 titanium 32/37. current 5er-2021 Solitude 310GKR
    1st camper-2001 Lance slide in
    1st truck-2001 chevy silverado 2500 HD 8.1 vortec-Allison trans. current truck-2011 chevy silverado HD duramax, allison LTZ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone have any luck with Predator Generators. Reflection 320MKS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any time someone uses the word "Generator" the thread blows up. I have tons of good info in a spreadsheet, I have decided the generator I am going to get and for the most part many here would say bad choice but I am not using it like most would be using it.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is better than a best oil thread. 50 people 50 opinions, and the correct answer goes to.........

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shall we bring up Slick50?
    Randy and Kris

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    Shall we bring up Slick50?
    Isn't that the one that 'penetrates the metal'? Same one they drained the engine of oil, and ran around the race track? Al Unser maybe?
    2021 Reflection 337RLS | TireMinder i10 TPMS | Progressive Dynamics 60A Converter | Progressive Industries EMS | MORyde X Factors | Renogy Solar & MPPT Controller
    2012 Ram 2500 CCSB 6.7L Diesel | Tuned w/ DPF Stolen | Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller | Airlift Bags w/ Wireless Compressor | B&W Turnover Ball | Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First - I want to point out that I just put up a "Sticky" in the generator forum. It's here. I thought the first link in that stick contained a lot of good information. And I thought the other 2 links showed was to parallel generators that works well.

Now - after reading through this thread again I want to add that in all the time I've had my Hondas I've always run them dry when done with them and not planning to use them for another month or even another year. And I've never had any issues with the generators restarting. I never tried ethanol free fuel. I should do that the next time, but I'll still drain them when done and ready to store them. I have used Sta-bil when I think I will be keeping it unused for a while.

so now it's ask 50 people and get over 50 answers...... good thread tho.....
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    First - I want to point out that I just put up a "Sticky" in the generator forum. It's here. I thought the first link in that stick contained a lot of good information. And I thought the other 2 links showed was to parallel generators that works well.

Now - after reading through this thread again I want to add that in all the time I've had my Hondas I've always run them dry when done with them and not planning to use them for another month or even another year. And I've never had any issues with the generators restarting. I never tried ethanol free fuel. I should do that the next time, but I'll still drain them when done and ready to store them. I have used Sta-bil when I think I will be keeping it unused for a while.

so now it's ask 50 people and get over 50 answers...... good thread tho.....
    I think the way you use a generator is how I would use one. I plan on getting one for when the power goes out at home or if I do plan on boondocking (which I cannot see my Wife wanting to do.

I decided that although dual fuel is nice, I see no reason for me to have one. Same with ultra quiet. In my opinion it appears that many campgrounds don't care about the noise, you cannot operate it during certain hours.

Same with generator brands. Do I spend $3000 on a generator that will last years and years or $400 for one that does the job and may not last as long. Again, if I were using it all the time, I would spend the money.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    I think the way you use a generator is how I would use one. I plan on getting one for when the power goes out at home or if I do plan on boondocking (which I cannot see my Wife wanting to do.

I decided that although dual fuel is nice, I see no reason for me to have one. Same with ultra quiet. In my opinion it appears that many campgrounds don't care about the noise, you cannot operate it during certain hours.

Same with generator brands. Do I spend $3000 on a generator that will last years and years or $400 for one that does the job and may not last as long. Again, if I were using it all the time, I would spend the money.
    A long time ago I had one of those 'not so quiet' generators. I wasn't the most popular person around. And that was at NASCAR races back when - when things were a bit more rowdy than they are now. In fact, one time after I shut it off for the evening folks nearby actually applauded. I have to say I can't blame them, I was glad for the quietness too.

I think a less expensive quiet generator would be a good choice. If I was to do it again I think I'd be looking at the Generac GM3300i. It seems a fair price from a reputable company.

I know I keep carrying on about all this, but one more thing. I carry a 2.5 gallon gas 'can' in the bed of my truck and just put it by the camper in the shade once we set up (the generators are in the front bay). I don't even bother to fill the 'can' anymore, a gallon goes a long way and is easier to carry. And I can always find a gas station close by the few times I might need to refill.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast