Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Generator types

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generator types

I know we are beating the Generator questions to death but it is usually which generators vs types of generators. So, this is more of info for me.

Firstly, I think I want an inverter generator although I have read that you can use a non inverter. What would be the case for that?

Second, Dual fuel. I think that running one on propane is much better than gasoline because RVs tend to have propane available. I was also thinking that it would be easier to clean up after use. I assume that you would remove the gasoline from the tank if you are not going to use it.

Third, it looks like running on propane decreases the output. For example one inverter has 4000w surge running on gasoline and 3200w surge when running on propane.

So, I am weighing my options and was hoping to get some input on what everyone's opinions are.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    I know we are beating the Generator questions to death but it is usually which generators vs types of generators. So, this is more of info for me.

Firstly, I think I want an inverter generator although I have read that you can use a non inverter. What would be the case for that?

Second, Dual fuel. I think that running one on propane is much better than gasoline because RVs tend to have propane available. I was also thinking that it would be easier to clean up after use. I assume that you would remove the gasoline from the tank if you are not going to use it.

Third, it looks like running on propane decreases the output. For example one inverter has 4000w surge running on gasoline and 3200w surge when running on propane.

So, I am weighing my options and was hoping to get some input on what everyone's opinions are.
    Yes, this has been beat to death, but here goes...

Are you going to run any electronics off the generator? TV, computer, laptop, etc.? If so, you definitely want the inverter generator.

An inverter generator produces a pure sine wave (120vac), this is important because electronics don't take kindly to a modified sine wave (also known as a square wave). It is akin to switching in and off the power, 60 times a second. Since there is not the ramp up and down, a square wave acts more like a spike and a negative spike (or brown out), 120 times a second, 60 spikes and 60 negative spikes.

The rest is up to you. If you use a fuel stabilizer, you can leave the gasoline in for much longer periods of time.

Yes, running in propane won't produce as many watts as running on gasoline. This is due to the temperature and rate that propane burns at, versus gasoline.

We have the Champion 3400 watt Dual Fuel inverter generator. One of the better purchases we've made.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Yes, this has been beat to death, but here goes...

Are you going to run any electronics off the generator? TV, computer, laptop, etc.? If so, you definitely want the inverter generator.

An inverter generator produces a pure sine wave (120vac), this is important because electronics don't take kindly to a modified sine wave (also known as a square wave). It is akin to switching in and off the power, 60 times a second. Since there is not the ramp up and down, a square wave acts more like a spike and a negative spike (or brown out), 120 times a second, 60 spikes and 60 negative spikes.

The rest is up to you. If you use a fuel stabilizer, you can leave the gasoline in for much longer periods of time.

Yes, running in propane won't produce as many watts as running on gasoline. This is due to the temperature and rate that propane burns at, versus gasoline.

We have the Champion 3400 watt Dual Fuel inverter generator. One of the better purchases we've made.
    Ok, just trying to get the info. I think some topics need to be pinned with a document. Not the argument topics like which brand but what types. I create word documents for some of the topics for my references.

Thanks for the info though. Still on the fence with the dual fuel. One side says it would be better because you remove the fuel by unplugging the propane. The other side thinks it is just an extra step.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm a fan of the duel fuel because: Don't need to haul gas. Hooking the propane line to the gen is much better than filling the gen fuel tank. Can use one of the onboard tanks if needed (that requires two connections). Exhaust fumes are practically nill compared to a gas powered gen. Don't have to be concerned about fuel going bad. A 20 pound spare tank in a milk crate takes about the same amount of room as a 5 gallon gas can and, can be used to power propane griddle or stove and movable very easy. Buy once, cry once. And, running synthetic oil in the gen after the initial break-in with the supplied dino allows me to (extend) the oil change interval as needed and, the propane verses gas produces less carbon in the engine.
    2020 Imagine 2450RL born 7/2019 Anderson hitch
    2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package and RAS
    Both retired - still have our S&B
    US Army vet (Air Cav baby!) Gulf war combat veteran

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobinICT View Post
    Well, I'm a fan of the duel fuel because: Don't need to haul gas. Hooking the propane line to the gen is much better than filling the gen fuel tank. Can use one of the onboard tanks if needed (that requires two connections). Exhaust fumes are practically nill compared to a gas powered gen. Don't have to be concerned about fuel going bad. A 20 pound spare tank in a milk crate takes about the same amount of room as a 5 gallon gas can and, can be used to power propane griddle or stove and movable very easy. Buy once, cry once. And, running synthetic oil in the gen after the initial break-in with the supplied dino allows me to (extend) the oil change interval as needed and, the propane verses gas produces less carbon in the engine.
    I think that may be what I am leaning towards. Not lazy, just want to get as few things off the plate.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I consider noise level a significant factor when selecting a generator when used near other people (campers/boaters/neighbors). Generators can get loud and annoying to others. The type and max load is equally important and as mentioned an inverter is best choice. When choosing fuel type you also need to compare run time for gas and propane. You also don't want to deplete your propane if its needed for cooking and heating. If using gas you want fuel injection or gas shut-off if its carbureted where you can run the carburetor dry.
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7 Hemi 4X4
    USAF Veteran

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corky2 View Post
    I consider noise level a significant factor when selecting a generator when used near other people (campers/boaters/neighbors). Generators can get loud and annoying to others. The type and max load is equally important and as mentioned an inverter is best choice. When choosing fuel type you also need to compare run time for gas and propane. You also don't want to deplete your propane if its needed for cooking and heating. If using gas you want fuel injection or gas shut-off if its carbureted where you can run the carburetor dry.
    I have looked a different models. Some have a hose that you pop out and let all the fuel drain. This is more of an emergency home/RV item. We do get some significant power outages. Who knew that power companies would prefer getting power back to city folks vs us out where the cows outnumber the people?
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have looked a different models. Some have a hose that you pop out and let all the fuel drain. This is more of an emergency home/RV item. We do get some significant power outages. Who knew that power companies would prefer getting power back to city folks vs us out where the cows outnumber the people?
    I haven't seen the models that have a drain hose but if the generator has a carb you still need to get the fuel out of the carb when storing to prevent the carb from getting gummed up. With a fuel shut-off to the carb you can just run it until it quits.

I also live rural, its the only way to go for us.

I wired in a transfer switch to my service panels and use a EU7000i as my back-up. It works great for my needs.
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    USAF Veteran

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corky2 View Post
    I haven't seen the models that have a drain hose but if the generator has a carb you still need to get the fuel out of the carb when storing to prevent the carb from getting gummed up. With a fuel shut-off to the carb you can just run it until it quits.

I also live rural, its the only way to go for us.

I wired in a transfer switch to my service panels and use a EU7000i as my back-up. It works great for my needs.
    If I remember the WEN that I am looking at has a hose that will drain it. Everything I read it is VERY bad to run a generator out of fuel.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I remember the WEN that I am looking at has a hose that will drain it. Everything I read it is VERY bad to run a generator out of fuel.
    I've had two EU2000's for almost 20 years now and never had a problem running the carbs dry. I also do it with my boats kicker engine and riding lawnmower with no issues.
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    USAF Veteran

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast