Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost wheel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    It's all an accident until a member of your family gets hurt/killed. Why do people change their mind once it happens to someone you love?

My term professional means you are trained. If you are trained, you should know better and held at a higher level of scrutiny.

If not ignorant, does not make you incompetent? Google the definitions.

A mistake is not securing 1 nut/bolt. All of them is not a mistake.

My goal is to let everyone that reads this to think a bit differently. A 'simple' tire replacement done poorly could kill someone. If you cannot accept the risks of doing your job and double checking your work, you need to hire someone that can. If this makes you uncomfortable, then it should. If it makes you double check your work, good. Better than a face full of tire/wheel or being in jail or penniless.

If we all spent just a few minutes to think that our actions can be deadly, stuff like this would not happen, or at least happen a bit less.

When I was a Shop Foreman, I grilled my guys to make certain they know their mistake could kill someone. The cars I worked on were owned by some of the riches people in the world. Certainly a front page story.

Maria's Law. Google it. It's sad to think you have to pass a law that should be common sense. 'I'm sorry' does not make her whole again.
    https://www.westsideseattle.com/west...-her-own-terms
    You greatly overestimate the competence of RV service people, especially the ones assigned to routine tasks like bearing service. My grandson worked at a trailer shop last year and was doing unsupervised bearing service his first day. He called his dad for advice because he didn’t think his co-workers knew what they were doing.

My nephew got a job at an oil change place and got paid for the first oil change he’d ever done in his life.

Most RV owners who do their own repairs are much more qualified than most of the “pros”.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Friend from high school took his car in for an oil change at the dealership (not a quicky lube place) about 20 or so years ago. The professional technician never put oil back in the engine after draining it. Engine seized up on my friend on the interstate and he was nearly run over by an 18 wheeler.

People are bone-headed. It shouldn't happen, but it does. I applaud the OP for sharing his story here if it helps others with safety. I've made a mental note to re-check my lug nuts next time I walk outside since I'm just back from a long trip. I may not have thought of that if it weren't for this post. No reason to get preachy with the gentleman IMO.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all an accident until a member of your family gets hurt/killed. Why do people change their mind once it happens to someone you love?

My term professional means you are trained. If you are trained, you should know better and held at a higher level of scrutiny.

If not ignorant, does not make you incompetent? Google the definitions.

A mistake is not securing 1 nut/bolt. All of them is not a mistake.

My goal is to let everyone that reads this to think a bit differently. A 'simple' tire replacement done poorly could kill someone. If you cannot accept the risks of doing your job and double checking your work, you need to hire someone that can. If this makes you uncomfortable, then it should. If it makes you double check your work, good. Better than a face full of tire/wheel or being in jail or penniless.

If we all spent just a few minutes to think that our actions can be deadly, stuff like this would not happen, or at least happen a bit less.

When I was a Shop Foreman, I grilled my guys to make certain they know their mistake could kill someone. The cars I worked on were owned by some of the riches people in the world. Certainly a front page story.

Maria's Law. Google it. It's sad to think you have to pass a law that should be common sense. 'I'm sorry' does not make her whole again.
    https://www.westsideseattle.com/west...-her-own-terms
    I don't hire people very often to do something I can do myself. But over the years I have found out that the trained professionals all too frequently make mistakes, overlook details, forget to do something, or break something in the process of fixing something else. Overall, I do a better job when I do it myself

Yeah, I screwed up in this case. No one was hurt as I took back roads to make sure everything was good-to-go. I guess I am incompetent.
    2016 308BHTS
    2020 F250 4x4 Crew Cab Short Bed Powerstroke

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good thing nobody got hurt. In my state, you would have gone to jail. There are so many people that have got hurt/died all because of an 'accident'. Ignorance is no accident.

I know I have a very unpopular opinion but as far as I'm concerned, most of us should not be working on our trailers, let alone driving them. We think we have a clue on what we are doing but having a wheel coming off just proves you don't. It's' not as simple as nuts and bolts. If it was, the wheel would have never come off.

We all make mistakes and pros do to but just because you have a set of tools, does not make you a pro. Well, in my State you could, but I have a problem with that too.

Good think brain surgery is not a hobby.
    Thats why alot of shops today typically have another mechanic re-check torque on each lug before releasing vehicles. 2 different checks can catch a brainfart better than one.

Had a Goodyear shop one time tell me they couldnt align my Ranger. Every time they would get it off the alignment rack and test drive it the truck would pull to one side or the other. When they had it on the rack the 3rd time, I went up to the tech and asked what the problem was. As he was tellling me, I happened to lean against the front left tire. IT WAS LOOSE! Well that explains it, he said! Well the kid who did the rotate and ballance never torqued the lugs, and nobody checked his work. That was in the late 80's, and I dont go to Goodyear for service since. Now i only trust shops that tell me they have someone else recheck the torque of each lug prior to releasing the vehicle.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If any of you think that I believe pros are better, I will make myself clear, they are not. They should be, but sadly with 40+ years working in the industry and 100's of mechanics that I have worked with/hired, there are not many that I would have work on my car/RV.

In the end, we all need to be a bit more cautious and understand what might be a simple job could kill someone. If you go about this with every job you do, you will usually take it a bit more seriously and with a bit more caution.

Just so you know, I have never left a wheel loose. I have left a few calipers loose and that is probably a bit worst. I own my own shop now and I take those simple brainless jobs a bit more serious than most.

That is what I'm trying to say here. Slow down, think twice, ask someone else to double check your work. Put down the phone and keep everyone away till the job is done right.

I certainly would not start a thread where a wheel fell off of a job I did. Hats off you the OP knowing there would be some jerk like me to comment about it.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If any of you think that I believe pros are better, I will make myself clear, they are not. They should be, but sadly with 40+ years working in the industry and 100's of mechanics that I have worked with/hired, there are not many that I would have work on my car/RV.

In the end, we all need to be a bit more cautious and understand what might be a simple job could kill someone. If you go about this with every job you do, you will usually take it a bit more seriously and with a bit more caution.

Just so you know, I have never left a wheel loose. I have left a few calipers loose and that is probably a bit worst. I own my own shop now and I take those simple brainless jobs a bit more serious than most.

That is what I'm trying to say here. Slow down, think twice, ask someone else to double check your work. Put down the phone and keep everyone away till the job is done right.

I certainly would not start a thread where a wheel fell off of a job I did. Hats off you the OP knowing there would be some jerk like me to comment about it.
    Yes, I agree you come off as a jerk.

I am not quite sure what you intended in your first two posts to me. I guess to shame me. It sure wasn't to help fix anything.

I don't know what your experiences in life have been. But I have found if you genuinely want to help people fix their processes or thinking, it is not beneficial to say they are ignorant or incompetent. If you really were a shop foreman and talked to your employees they way you addressed me, I would guess you had lots of turnover in personnel. It doesn't look like you were able to reform many of them if you wouldn't allow them to work on your stuff.

This whole section is intended to help others learn from mistakes. From what I have seen the vast majority of those errors are preventable. It does no good to jump on people.
    2016 308BHTS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing your experience. A good reminder for folks that are more accustom to maintenance from a personal automotive perspective.
    2020 F350 CC SRW LB Platinum Diesel - Timbren SES, RetraxPRO XR Tonneau, B&W Companion 20k, TireMinder i10 TPMS, Vision S7
    2021 3740BH-R - 2190W Solar, 300AH LFP, Victron BMV-712, MORryde Pin Box, Roadmaster Shocks, FlexArmor Roof, EcoFlow Delta Pro

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry that you have had a bit of negative here on the forum. Maybe that keeps us on our toes.

I for one have been learning tons of good skills and enjoy the DIY repair and fixing. Much better than waiting weeks or months and I’m sure the quality of the work is much much better.

I have recently done some major work on my suspension components and am confident that it was done correctly with parts that are superior to OEM. Much of that based on what I have learned here on the forum. Plus input from Dexter, Lippert, eTrailer, and HoppyFrod. And I am way way more confident in my own, patient, careful, uninterrupted, slow, meticulous, fun work, even as a well prepared, tooled up, and studied novice, that what I would get at the dealership these days.

Don’t be discouraged.

Your post has reminded me to check the lug nut torque more often, as it has others and that is a great thing. Really. You are maybe saving lives here!

We all make mistakes now and then and sharing those is just the best way to help others.

FlyStar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyStar View Post
    Sorry that you have had a bit of negative here on the forum. Maybe that keeps us on our toes.
    Better to have feelings hurt than the other outcome. If one person comes away from reading this and takes a simple tire R&R a bit more serious in the future, then I'm ok with being that jerk.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better to have feelings hurt than the other outcome. If one person comes away from reading this and takes a simple tire R&R a bit more serious in the future, then I'm ok with being that jerk.
    I doubt your posts will do or have done any good. People who are jerks to others have little effect other than to piss off people.
    2016 308BHTS

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast