User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost wheel

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My brother has been in the profession for over for over 50 years. Before doing it for a living he worked on his own cars when we were kids, as did I. He is both a mechanic and Autobody repairman, and Very well respected in our area. In fact a Harley dealer from 45 miles away had him doing work, and painting their tanks. He inspected his daughters car one day and got distracted. She made it about 1.5 miles from the shop and her right front wheel came off. It was as she was turning around because she felt a vibration. She never went over 25 miles an hour. I happened to be going by at the time, so took her to the shop. After calling her dad a few choice names (actually in good humor) he went down and fixed the issue. That was the only time he had/has ever done that. You learn by your mistakes. As for common sense? You acquire common sense through life experiences, although there does seem to be a certain amount of innate ability to figure things out also. Without mistakes you do not learn. Those who do not make then are just really good at hiding them...
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    I doubt your posts will do or have done any good. People who are jerks to others have little effect other than to piss off people.
    I think he got both his point across and mentioned that he may have come across as a jerk. IMO, time to move on.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here are my thoughts. First I wonder how many rv owners actually own a torque wrench. I think one reason a lot of folks don’t own them is the cost. In my case I decided to try a Harbor Feight torque wrench. My reasoning was that it was cheap, I wouldn’t use it often, it has a lifetime warranty & I could find a mechanic with a “professional torque wrench” that I could use to test the accuracy of my Harbor Freight product. My cheap wrench was as accurate as the professional model at Morryde.

As for my technique, if the tires are removed for rotation or any other reason, I watch the tech torque the lug nuts. I point out the sticker on my pin box that has the specification of 120 lbs. after I leave the dealer, I retorque every lug nut at 50 miles & then every 100 miles until none of the lug nuts can be tightened. That can sometimes take 4 or 5 stops.

I would love to hear fellow members thoughts
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes
    Solar System. 8 100 AH Lithium batteries, 12 200 watt panels, Victron 3000 watt inverter, Smart Shunt, Cerbo, & 2 MPPT Charger/Controllers
    Travel 6 months each year

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    I think he got both his point across and mentioned that he may have come across as a jerk. IMO, time to move on.
    The site team of moderators agree, it is time to move on and keep comments constructive and respectful of others here . This section is for sharing mistakes or other events that go wrong with the statement under the heading to be kind . https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...Please-be-kind

Loosing a tire iand informing others of the mistake is a lesson learned.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USA in a Chevrolet View Post
    Here are my thoughts. First I wonder how many rv owners actually own a torque wrench. I think one reason a lot of folks don’t own them is the cost. In my case I decided to try a Harbor Feight torque wrench. My reasoning was that it was cheap, I wouldn’t use it often, it has a lifetime warranty & I could find a mechanic with a “professional torque wrench” that I could use to test the accuracy of my Harbor Freight product. My cheap wrench was as accurate as the professional model at Morryde.

As for my technique, if the tires are removed for rotation or any other reason, I watch the tech torque the lug nuts. I point out the sticker on my pin box that has the specification of 120 lbs. after I leave the dealer, I retorque every lug nut at 50 miles & then every 100 miles until none of the lug nuts can be tightened. That can sometimes take 4 or 5 stops.

I would love to hear fellow members thoughts
    While your heart is in the right place, you're not actually torquing the lugnuts to the proper setting, if you check them and stop if the wrench clicks and the lugnut doesn't move. That is not the correct torque. The correct torque is a taken with the torque wrench moving. What you get with the nut stationary is friction torque. That's why head bolts in an engine are loosened and retightened, because accurate reading require the torque wrench to be rotating the nut/bolt when the wrench clicks, or the needle points to the correct numbers. A lot of people, even "professionals" aren't really aware of this.

Just consider me ever the pedant.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    While your heart is in the right place, you're not actually torquing the lugnuts to the proper setting, if you check them and stop if the wrench clicks and the lugnut doesn't move. That is not the correct torque. The correct torque is a taken with the torque wrench moving. What you get with the nut stationary is friction torque. That's why head bolts in an engine are loosened and retightened, because accurate reading require the torque wrench to be rotating the nut/bolt when the wrench clicks, or the needle points to the correct numbers. A lot of people, even "professionals" aren't really aware of this.

Just consider me ever the pedant.
    Please help me understand. Are you saying that I should first loosen the lug nuts each time I am checking them & then retighten using the torque wrench? If so I will never get them tightened to the correct torque. Each time I check the lug nuts at approximately 100 mile intervals, I find one or more lug nuts that can be turned a little before the torque wrench clicks. I assume this is because as the wheels turn the wheel is getting more centered on the wheel hub. If I remember correctly the holes on the wheels are flared & the wheel is actually being centered on the wheel hub. Since a couple of lug nuts are moving doesn’t that mean the torque wrench is clicking after the lug nut has tightened slightly. Also, I am by no means a professional. Please explain what I’m missing. Thanks
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes
    Solar System. 8 100 AH Lithium batteries, 12 200 watt panels, Victron 3000 watt inverter, Smart Shunt, Cerbo, & 2 MPPT Charger/Controllers

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just commenting on the torque settings. If the lug nut is moving, and the wrench clicks with the nut moving, the torque is correct. Personally I would recheck after 50-100 miles if that's recommended, and let it go. Sometimes you really can overthink these things. This isn't rocket science, just making sure the lug nuts are not loosening up. If they're tight, they're right. I mean the settings are usually like 100-110 lb. ft. so exact isn't that critical.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I'm just commenting on the torque settings. If the lug nut is moving, and the wrench clicks with the nut moving, the torque is correct. Personally I would recheck after 50-100 miles if that's recommended, and let it go. Sometimes you really can overthink these things. This isn't rocket science, just making sure the lug nuts are not loosening up. If they're tight, they're right. I mean the settings are usually like 100-110 lb. ft. so exact isn't that critical.

Thanks for your thoughts. I’m hoping some members will also respond & indicate if they have & use torque wrenches. Also, what are your thoughts on Harbor Freight torque wrenches?
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USA in a Chevrolet View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts. I’m hoping some members will also respond & indicate if they have & use torque wrenches. Also, what are your thoughts on Harbor Freight torque wrenches?
    Well, I have a HF Torque wrench, and use Torque Wrenches fairly often, and have for many years, mainly for torquing head bolts. I also have an old Craftsman TW, which was my go to. I keep the HF one in the camper, and do use it occasionally on the Lug nuts, although only when putting the wheels back on after maintenance. The HF wrench is as accurate as the Craftsman, although I have not done a head to head, and probably won't. The HF is a fine tool and I would buy another if the need arose.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROC View Post
    Well, I have a HF Torque wrench, and use Torque Wrenches fairly often, and have for many years, mainly for torquing head bolts. I also have an old Craftsman TW, which was my go to. I keep the HF one in the camper, and do use it occasionally on the Lug nuts, although only when putting the wheels back on after maintenance. The HF wrench is as accurate as the Craftsman, although I have not done a head to head, and probably won't. The HF is a fine tool and I would buy another if the need arose.
    Thanks for your info. I use a few HF tools. Most of my other tools are 20 to 40 years old.
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast