Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Lost wheel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I carry a torque wrench

Quote Originally Posted by USA in a Chevrolet View Post
    Here are my thoughts. First I wonder how many rv owners actually own a torque wrench. I think one reason a lot of folks don’t own them is the cost. In my case I decided to try a Harbor Feight torque wrench. My reasoning was that it was cheap, I wouldn’t use it often, it has a lifetime warranty & I could find a mechanic with a “professional torque wrench” that I could use to test the accuracy of my Harbor Freight product. My cheap wrench was as accurate as the professional model at Morryde.

As for my technique, if the tires are removed for rotation or any other reason, I watch the tech torque the lug nuts. I point out the sticker on my pin box that has the specification of 120 lbs. after I leave the dealer, I retorque every lug nut at 50 miles & then every 100 miles until none of the lug nuts can be tightened. That can sometimes take 4 or 5 stops.

I would love to hear fellow members thoughts
    I keep a torque wrench under my backseat. When on a trip When we stop I will check the torque and shoot the wheel temps even though I have TPMS. Doesn't take that long to do.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would seem the lug nuts are loosening due to heat from the road, brakes maybe? I wonder what the final torque is when they cool off.....
    2019 230RL Reflection ..... 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins still pulling just as hard as the day I brought her home November 1995...3.6 Onan. 2 battleborns 300 watts solar, 1500 watt aims inverter....(Convictions are a far greater foe of truth than lies) {Nietztche}

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A properly torqued lug bolt/nut does not come loose. If it does, it was never torqued properly. Clean/lubricated threads are important.

Last week, I had a client come in, wheel properly torqued, wheel was loose. That is because the bolts were rusted. The torque wrench did its job but the bolt never firmly secured the wheel to the hub. I fixed two bolts and told him to go back to Firestone so they can take care of their 'comeback'.

Last week, a prominent BMW dealer in the area had a client come in with only three wheels. The week before it had 4 tires replaced. The original tech no longer works there. Nobody got hurt. On a different subject, they burned up 3 diesel engines in the last month too.

That was last weeks news.
    Last edited by Butcher; 06-13-2022 at 08:34 AM.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    A properly torqued lug bolt/nut does not come loose. If it does, it was never torqued properly. Clean/lubricated threads are important.
    I agree that nuts rarely loosen themselves. OTOH continually retightening bolts can lead to stud stretch and possible failure at some point. IMO, torque the nuts, recheck once after 100 miles or so if you wish, and then let them be. And if you lubricate the threads be sure to lessen the torque values by about 15%.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post

Last week, I had a client come in, wheel properly torqued, wheel was loose. That is because the bolts were rusted. The torque wrench did its job but the bolt never firmly secured the wheel to the hub. I fixed two bolts and told him to go back to Firestone so they can take care of their 'comeback'.

Last week, a prominent BMW dealer in the area had a client come in with only three wheels. The week before it had 4 tires replaced. The original tech no longer works there. Nobody got hurt. On a different subject, they burned up 3 diesel engines in the last month too.

That was last weeks news.
    My take on this is that a properly torqued lug nut may not be properly torqued after 100 miles of traveling. Lug nuts tighten the tire rim to the wheel. If you examine the tire rim you will see concave holes. As you tighten the lug nuts the rim centers the studs in the holes. As you travel the rim eventually is centered on each of the studs. I’m sure that the kugnuts need to be checked a few times after the tires have been removed & then remounted. However each of us is free to follow what we believe. No hard feelings to those who disagree.
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes
    Solar System. 8 100 AH Lithium batteries, 12 200 watt panels, Victron 3000 watt inverter, Smart Shunt, Cerbo, & 2 MPPT Charger/Controllers
    Travel 6 months each year

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USA in a Chevrolet View Post
    My take on this is that a properly torqued lug nut may not be properly torqued after 100 miles of traveling. Lug nuts tighten the tire rim to the wheel. If you examine the tire rim you will see concave holes. As you tighten the lug nuts the rim centers the studs in the holes. As you travel the rim eventually is centered on each of the studs. I’m sure that the kugnuts need to be checked a few times after the tires have been removed & then remounted. However each of us is free to follow what we believe. No hard feelings to those who disagree.
    What I have noticed over the years is that new rims tend to loosen up. I think that his is due to the paint or other coatings applied during manufacture. As they wear away these coatings they tend to loosen less. A well used rim usually doesn't need to be retorqued.... Of course depending on YOUR usage.....YMMV
    Last edited by huntindog; 06-13-2022 at 01:19 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    What I have noticed over the years is that new rims tend to loosen up. I think that his is due to the paint or other coatings applied during manufacture. As they wear away these coatings they tend to loosen less. A well used rim usually doesn't need to be retorqued.... Of course depending on YOUR usage.....YMMV
    That makes sense! Take care.
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes
    Solar System. 8 100 AH Lithium batteries, 12 200 watt panels, Victron 3000 watt inverter, Smart Shunt, Cerbo, & 2 MPPT Charger/Controllers
    Travel 6 months each year

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just completed a 1,300 round trip from central OK to Colorado Springs. We didn't lose any wheels or hubs during our trip.
    2016 308BHTS
    2020 F250 4x4 Crew Cab Short Bed Powerstroke

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just completed a 1,300 round trip from central OK to Colorado Springs. We didn't lose any wheels or hubs during our trip.
    2016 308BHTS
    2020 F250 4x4 Crew Cab Short Bed Powerstroke

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I realize this is an older thread, but would like to add another reason to retorque after having a "Pro" shop mount your tires. Years ago I purchased new tires for my truck from a national chain. Drove the 20 miles home and retorqued. Imagine my surprise when one of the lug nuts snapped off at first pressure. The lug stud had been sheared off, presumably with an impact wrench, then superglued back on to hide the screw-up. Back to the shop, the manager fired the tech on the spot, had all of my studs replaced, re-balanced all wheels and refunded the cost of mount and balance. They made it right and I still use the same chain.

Point is, even the most reputable shops can have questionable employees.

Trust, but verify.
    2017 Solitude ST360RL
    Victron solar
    2005 Ram 3500 DRW
    Retired, Full time since 09/2021

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast