Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost wheel

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lost wheel

I replaced the brakes and repacked my wheel bearings this weekend. My son and and I took the trailer out this morning to see how everything works. The brakes work nicely. However, while driving down the road I noticed one of my tires had come off and sped away into a ditch. Apparently I had forgotten to torque down the lug nuts on one wheel. Other than losing 5 lug nuts (I found one) I don't think anything was damaged. I got the wheel back on (borrowing lug nuts from other wheels) and drove home. I ordered a lug nut set from Amazon.

So, but sure to check all your lugs after installing your wheels.
    2016 308BHTS
    2020 F250 4x4 Crew Cab Short Bed Powerstroke

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm so sorry this happened to you. It sounds an awful lot like an old joke my father liked to tell... minus a cotton field and a mental health facility.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good thing nobody got hurt. God Bless.

On a lighter note, this happened one time to a buddy of mine who took his car to Firestone for a balance and rotate. He claims he was driving down the highway thru KCMO, got to the Benton curve (which tends to slow you down) and noticed a wheel with tire went by him. As he tells the story, he said "man that wheel and tire looks real familar", and then realized it was his. LOL!!

Luckily, no one got hurt then either! The little things that get our attention....
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a step often forgotten, skipped. I just did this myself. Before this current trip, I checked the brakes and bearings, reinstalled the tires, torqued and said to myself that I would retorque after our first overnight. Well, we're on our 3rd and I still haven't done the recheck.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    That's a step often forgotten, skipped. I just did this myself. Before this current trip, I checked the brakes and bearings, reinstalled the tires, torqued and said to myself that I would retorque after our first overnight. Well, we're on our 3rd and I still haven't done the recheck.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Unfortunately, I'm anal retentive about that. I probably check each lug 2 times after the torque wrench clicks the final torque.... just making sure in my haste that I didnt miss one. Too many heard of stories of those who have joined that club.
    Jim and Annette
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lost a wheel on the way to a campground 90 miles away and did not know it until I had backed in to my campsite!! Thing that really amazed me was I had done the wheel bearing/brake adjustment maintenance about 3 months prior to this trip. We had pulled to Colorado and a couple of WV mountain trips with no issues. I guess it took all summer for those lug nuts to work their way loose. I had not checked them again after the spring maintenance. Now I thoroughly and repeatedly check lug nuts before and sometimes during a trip with a proper torque wrench. You don't want to over tighten them either.
    Last edited by Likes to tow; 06-07-2022 at 05:34 AM.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend of mine who pulls/delivers manufactured homes usually is tightening lugnuts several times even on short trips.
    Jim and Annette
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good thing nobody got hurt. In my state, you would have gone to jail. There are so many people that have got hurt/died all because of an 'accident'. Ignorance is no accident.

I know I have a very unpopular opinion but as far as I'm concerned, most of us should not be working on our trailers, let alone driving them. We think we have a clue on what we are doing but having a wheel coming off just proves you don't. It's' not as simple as nuts and bolts. If it was, the wheel would have never come off.

We all make mistakes and pros do to but just because you have a set of tools, does not make you a pro. Well, in my State you could, but I have a problem with that too.

Good think brain surgery is not a hobby.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    Good thing nobody got hurt. In my state, you would have gone to jail. There are so many people that have got hurt/died all because of an 'accident'. Ignorance is no accident.

I know I have a very unpopular opinion but as far as I'm concerned, most of us should not be working on our trailers, let alone driving them. We think we have a clue on what we are doing but having a wheel coming off just proves you don't. It's' not as simple as nuts and bolts. If it was, the wheel would have never come off.

We all make mistakes and pros do to but just because you have a set of tools, does not make you a pro. Well, in my State you could, but I have a problem with that too.

Good think brain surgery is not a hobby.
    So mistakes made by amateurs are different than those made by the professionals (that have long waiting lists and highly inflated prices)? I won't accept your label as ignorant either since I am well aware a wheel needs to be tightened securely, I just made a mistake.

What state do you live in that jails people for accidents?

Thanks for your input!
    2016 308BHTS
    2020 F250 4x4 Crew Cab Short Bed Powerstroke

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all an accident until a member of your family gets hurt/killed. Why do people change their mind once it happens to someone you love?

My term professional means you are trained. If you are trained, you should know better and held at a higher level of scrutiny.

If not ignorant, does not make you incompetent? Google the definitions.

A mistake is not securing 1 nut/bolt. All of them is not a mistake.

My goal is to let everyone that reads this to think a bit differently. A 'simple' tire replacement done poorly could kill someone. If you cannot accept the risks of doing your job and double checking your work, you need to hire someone that can. If this makes you uncomfortable, then it should. If it makes you double check your work, good. Better than a face full of tire/wheel or being in jail or penniless.

If we all spent just a few minutes to think that our actions can be deadly, stuff like this would not happen, or at least happen a bit less.

When I was a Shop Foreman, I grilled my guys to make certain they know their mistake could kill someone. The cars I worked on were owned by some of the riches people in the world. Certainly a front page story.

Maria's Law. Google it. It's sad to think you have to pass a law that should be common sense. 'I'm sorry' does not make her whole again.
    https://www.westsideseattle.com/west...-her-own-terms
    Last edited by Butcher; 06-07-2022 at 09:51 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast