Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hitch Receiver Carrying Weight verses WD Weight Issue

My hitch receiver was on the truck when I bought it used. It bears a sticker that states:

Max Gross Trlr Wt: 11,000 lb Weight Distributing / 5,000 lb Weight Carrying
    Max Tongue Wt: 1,100 lb Weight Distribution / 500 lb Weight Carrying

The 21BHE I’m planning to get this winter is listed at 6395 GVWR (at least that’s what the 2022 is listed at). So let’s say 14% on the hitch w/out a WD hitch, that’s 895.3 lbs “carrying weight.” Of course, I’m getting a WD hitch, probably the Weigh Safe since this particular piece of equipment doesn’t seem like the place to save a couple of hundred dollars.

Even though I will only be towing with a WD hitch, I really don’t like the carrying weight (895) being over the 500 or the GVWR of the trailer (6395) being over the 5,000 lbs rating. etrailer has a Curt Class IV hitch receiver for $250 that has straight and WD weight ratings for both tongue and trailer above the 21BHE.

So I’m looking for some of the experience and judgment that I’ve seen on the forum over the last couple of years. Is it obvious that I need a new hitch receiver or am I overreacting? There’s plenty of other things to spend money on if there’s no need.

Thanks for any thoughts.
    Rick & Lisa
    2023 Imagine XLS 21BHE
    2017 F-150 XLT 5.0L 4x4 Supercrew FX4 7000# GVWR and Trailer Tow packages 5.5ft box 3.55 gears, Roadmaster Active Suspension
    [SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't need a new receiver for this. The 500lbs is at least partially, probably mostly do to removing weight from the front axle, the main job of a WDH is to return most of the weight to the front for stability.

I have a little heavier trailer with the same 500lbs limit. If I move it in the yard I don't connect the bars and everything is ok. I would not drive at speed without the bars.
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What your sticker is telling you is with a wdh you can go up to 1,100 tongue weight and without up to 500. Just keep in mind that this includes the wdh itself.
    So , you'll be below the max with what ever wdh you choose. The weight safe is a great well reviewed wdh, specially for tow haulers since it tells you your actual tw and let's you easily adjust. There are other good ones also that are lighter and works great and a little less $ like the Anderson. But like you said don't cheap on this piece.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good answer! Thanks, I can stop fretting about that and move on to the next thing.
    Rick & Lisa
    2023 Imagine XLS 21BHE
    2017 F-150 XLT 5.0L 4x4 Supercrew FX4 7000# GVWR and Trailer Tow packages 5.5ft box 3.55 gears, Roadmaster Active Suspension
    [SIGPIC]