User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cracked frame weld

Good morning! We have discovered a cracked weld on our 2015 Momentum inside the upper corner of the left propane tank. This was found due to seeing the trim opening up when the camper was hooked up to our truck. After doing some research, it appears that we are not alone. Looking for feedback on assistants from frame manufacturer and Grand Design in fixing this situation. Thanks
    Safe travels,
    Rick & Pam Kercheval

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Bay Pam & Rick View Post
    Good morning! We have discovered a cracked weld on our 2015 Momentum inside the upper corner of the left propane tank. This was found due to seeing the trim opening up when the camper was hooked up to our truck. After doing some research, it appears that we are not alone. Looking for feedback on assistants from frame manufacturer and Grand Design in fixing this situation. Thanks
    Something like that, you should be calling Grand Design, Lippert, and/or your dealer directly.

An internet forum is not going to help you...
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with huntr70, I have cracks in my 2020RLS and I have been working with Lippert directly. I tried working with Grand Design but the service manager there couldn’t seem to get me the right info so I called Lippert directly and they knew exactly what I needed. They sent me a repair procedure document specific to my chassis so I could take it to a welder and get a estimate on the repair. It is a 5 page document that gives any welder instructions on how to fix this problem on this chassis. I have gotten the estimate and now working with Lippert to get payment for the work, also sent Grand Design the same estimate so we will see how this plays out. The problem on my chassis is the cracking I beam above the axel hangers, but I am sure they have a similar repair procedure for your problem.
    2020 303RLS
    2018 Dodge 2500 Cummins
    BW Companion
    Retired and loving it.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick - Alan @arhayes reported this same or similar situation and research/GDRV communications/repair process on their 2015 Momentum. Suggest contacting Alan to learn more. Here is his thread on this as I recall and possibly there were others:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...-what-to-check

Seems Jim @JCR GD may have reported something similar or was checking his 2015 MO for any issues. I seem to recall that Jim was communicating with Alan on the preceding thread and maybe others as well.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan, so far I am OK but Alans info was very helpful in knowing what to look for. Sounds like OP has same as Alan. I hope OP comes back with specific model info.

Edit: just looked at profile, same model as Alan.
    Last edited by JCR GD; 06-08-2022 at 08:13 AM.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SSROSS View Post
    I agree with huntr70, I have cracks in my 2020RLS and I have been working with Lippert directly. I tried working with Grand Design but the service manager there couldn’t seem to get me the right info so I called Lippert directly and they knew exactly what I needed. They sent me a repair procedure document specific to my chassis so I could take it to a welder and get a estimate on the repair. It is a 5 page document that gives any welder instructions on how to fix this problem on this chassis. I have gotten the estimate and now working with Lippert to get payment for the work, also sent Grand Design the same estimate so we will see how this plays out. The problem on my chassis is the cracking I beam above the axel hangers, but I am sure they have a similar repair procedure for your problem.

I think cracking around the hanger area has been happening a long time on lippert frames for many different makes of trailer. You would think after so many years andd breaks that Lippert would put effort into correcting their frame deficiencies. Must be cheaper to fix after the break than b4
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    Dan, so far I am OK but Alans info was very helpful in knowing what to look for. Sounds like OP has same as Alan. I hope OP comes back with specific model info.

Edit: just looked at profile, same model as Alan.
    Thanks, Jim. Good to hear you are GTG on this. Yea, I did not look at profile but suspected the same since a 2015 and the apparent same location issue.

Alan did a good job working through this hopefully helping the OP to get corrected as necessary as well.

Hope you and Sharon are doing well.

Dan
    Last edited by Canyonlight; 06-08-2022 at 11:41 AM.
    Dan & Carol

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post

...Hope you and Sharon are doping well.

Dan
    We aren't much into doping but we are doing well, thanks!
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    We aren't much into doping but we are doing well, thanks!
    Oops !....talk about a fat finger typo ! Sorry about that, Jim.

Dan
    Dan & Carol