User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Park" is important

So … I have learned most of what I know from other’s mistakes. This forum section is quite valuable! Earlier this season I “finally” have something to share. (Not that I ever wanted something to share!)

Pulled into a campsite, second time out with my new-to-me trailer (this trailer replaced a smaller single axle trailer that I'd used for five years). Site was out of level, so after chocking the wheel on one side I pulled out the new “curved wedge” style levels and gave my husband the primer on how they worked / what the theory was. I had watched many videos on how they worked myself and was comfortable with the idea. (Heck of a lot better than the BAL Leveler I used on my prior trailer!)

Well … husband got the wedges lined up with the tires. I start pulling forward onto them, watching my progress on my Levelmate Pro app (also a fantastic product) and stop just as things were level … yay! A painless process! I pushed the emergency brake as I was paranoid about the husband messing around the wheels while the van was hooked up and on. He put the second part in (on?) and everything settled. Phew.

Got out, we started the unhook process. Got the WDH off, but the ball was tight against the hitch and it didn’t want to slip off the ball. So, I went into the van and released the e-brake, which seemed to release the pressure. Got out, hitch released from the ball with a bit of force causing the trailer to shift slightly (scared me big time!) … then ... the van started pulling away.

Guess who set the e-brake … but didn’t put it in park?? Yes … I was the cartoonish person that had to run after a driverless car to stop it! Luckily I had left the driver's door open so it was easy to hop in and smash the brake.

No injuries. No property damage. Ego was bruised BIG TIME. I can laugh about it … but I will never make that mistake again!! Emergency brake is a great idea … but never exit the vehicle without it being in Park!!
    -Pam
    2019 GD Imagine 2600RB bought in 2022.
    towed by a 2019 Nissan NV 3500 Passenger van
    prior trailer: 2017 Coleman CTS16FB towed by a 2012 Kia Sedona, then the 2019 NV.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pwalton View Post
    I can laugh about it
    Glad your "learning experience" turned out well.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pam

Thank you for posting. I’m impressed that you posted this. I’m sure reading this might save someone else from this mistake which really might have ended much worse
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have done this too. Not putting the truck in park. Once is enough to cure you from this omission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, when you walk out of the office and notice your truck and triple axle toyhauler rolling through the campground and headed for that Prevost, you'll remember the next time. DAMHIKIJK
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched a gentleman do the same thing several years ago. Didn't know this older gentleman could run so fast! it shook him up pretty good and scared me too. We were parked close enough our truck could have helped stop it. Sometimes it is easy to have your head get a step ahead of where you really are in the setting up process.

I haven't used the parking brake so rely on the gears to put the truck in park. If leveling I keep my foot on the brake and wait till the chocks are in place before putting it in park.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyStar View Post
    I have done this too. Not putting the truck in park. Once is enough to cure you from this omission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just one of those things that always happens to "other people", right? Oof.
    -Pam
    prior trailer: 2017 Coleman CTS16FB towed by a 2012 Kia Sedona, then the 2019 NV.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post

I haven't used the parking brake so rely on the gears to put the truck in park. If leveling I keep my foot on the brake and wait till the chocks are in place before putting it in park.
    I rarely set the emergency brake either. New leveling system and someone else involved in the process (I'm still learning how to do all this with my hubby helping) had me paranoid, but evidently not thinking straight. Next up, writing down a step-by-step process!
    -Pam

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Yep, when you walk out of the office and notice your truck and triple axle toyhauler rolling through the campground and headed for that Prevost, you'll remember the next time. DAMHIKIJK
    Oh nooooo.
    -Pam

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    Pam

Thank you for posting. I’m impressed that you posted this. I’m sure reading this might save someone else from this mistake which really might have ended much worse
    That's the point of the section, right? Swallow the ego and admit to what went wrong so others might learn. Such an absolutely bone-headed error that will never again happen to this woman!
    -Pam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast