Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Power Usage on Fridge

We have a 13.0 cu ft 4 door Dometic Fridge in out unit. The label inside the door (see attached) shows 13.5 amps on AC and 13.3 amps on DC. It does not specifically say, but I assume that is amps per hour. The owners manual is worthless as to power consumption. This is a two mode fridge, AC and LP only, so I assume the DC figure refers to DC usage on LP mode. There is no DC only power mode on the fridge.

Questions:

1. Am I reading this correctly, is it really using 3.3 Ah DC when operating on LP mode? If so, that is a whopping 79.2 amps per day. That would explain a lot on my battery usage, though.

2. If so, why would a fridge use essentially the same amount of amps on AC and LP, when on LP the flame is doing all the work of heating the refrigerant?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fridge.jpeg  
    Last edited by hartcentr; 06-07-2022 at 12:59 PM.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hartcentr View Post
    We have a 13.0 cu ft 4 door Dometic Fridge in out unit. The label inside the door (see attached) shows 13.5 amps on AC and 13.3 amps on DC. It does not specifically say, but I assume that is amps per hour. The owners manual is worthless as to power consumption. This is a two mode fridge, AC and LP only, so I assume the DC figure refers to DC usage on LP mode. There is no DC only power mode on the fridge.

Questions:

1. Am I reading this correctly, is it really using 3.3 Ah DC when operating on LP mode? If so, that is a whopping 79.2 amps per day. That would explain a lot on my battery usage, though.

2. If so, why would a fridge use essentially the same amount of amps on AC and LP, when on LP the flame is doing all the work of heating the refrigerant?
    Answer to 1) yes, that is what the label is saying. Remember though that there's quite a bit of a difference between AC amps and DC amps. I'm guessing (since I don't have your refer) that the unit has fans that use that much when running on propane. Those fans are probably not on all the time, so in the real world, you're likely to use less than 80 Ah per day.

2) The AC amps are doing a lot more work. The electrical work equation says P(power in watt)=E (emf in volt )×I (current in ampere ). So for the same amps (current), the power is 10 times for AC (E = 120 volts) as DC (E = 12 volts).
    Last edited by Soundsailor; 06-07-2022 at 01:40 PM.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S