User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Schwintek Slide on XLS 22 MLE working intermittently

Intermittently the Schwintek controller displays error code 8 on motor 1 which tells me there is a short somewhere in the system. I can check it one day and the slide goes in and out without a problem but the next day it may only move a few inches and I have to put the controller in manual to get it to come fully in or out. How would you check the continuity between the controller and the motor if the problem is intermittent? Is this a project for a DIY person to undertake or should I just take it back to the dealer? Since the trailer is not under warranty any longer I fear this is going to be a costly repair. Any thoughts or advice will be appreciated.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gary007 View Post
    Intermittently the Schwintek controller displays error code 8 on motor 1 which tells me there is a short somewhere in the system. I can check it one day and the slide goes in and out without a problem but the next day it may only move a few inches and I have to put the controller in manual to get it to come fully in or out. How would you check the continuity between the controller and the motor if the problem is intermittent? Is this a project for a DIY person to undertake or should I just take it back to the dealer? Since the trailer is not under warranty any longer I fear this is going to be a costly repair. Any thoughts or advice will be appreciated.
    First off, it looks like you're new here, welcome to the forum. There has been a lot of discussion on the Schwintek slides, search the forum and you may get some ideas.

Could this be a loose connection? Many have reported issues with connections and worn cables. You might want to try a new harness (https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=schwint...s_ts-doa-p_5_9), you'll probably need the 35 foot one. If it were me, I'd try to work out the problem myself. This definitely could be a DIY project that could save you $$$. Check out Lippert's free course (https://lippert.thinkific.com/courses/Schwintek) for more information.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My vote is the harness. There is a Mobile RV guy in Port Angeles Washington that did a video on this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxEYSstvICI - this will give you a really good idea of what you are getting yoruself into.
    Grand Design 2022 MLE Travel Trailer
    Ford F-150 EcoBoost

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would try to get to the motors and make sure the wire harness is plugged securely into the motors.

Had one not long ago that had similar issues, and the one motor plug was loose.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    First off, it looks like you're new here, welcome to the forum. There has been a lot of discussion on the Schwintek slides, search the forum and you may get some ideas.

Could this be a loose connection? Many have reported issues with connections and worn cables. You might want to try a new harness (https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=schwint...s_ts-doa-p_5_9), you'll probably need the 35 foot one. If it were me, I'd try to work out the problem myself. This definitely could be a DIY project that could save you $$$. Check out Lippert's free course (https://lippert.thinkific.com/courses/Schwintek) for more information.
    I have ordered a 35' harness from Amazon as suggested and will try to see if this makes a difference. I tried unplugging the connection at the motor and replugging it back in and it appeared to work, but an hour later it wasn't working.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried unplugging the connection at the motor and replugging it back in and it appeared to work, but an hour later it wasn't working.
    Try cleaning the contacts. One person on another forum thread had good luck with sandpaper and re-crimping the connector.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll try cleaning the contacts and re-crimping and see if that solves the problem. Thanks.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out this training video from Lippert direct. I learned a lot from it on how the system works and steps to troubleshoot. https://lippert.thinkific.com/courses/Schwintek

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something else you can try, swap the plugs on the controller, move motor 1 to 2 and 2 to 1... (note, in will now be out and out will now be in on the panel until you swap them back)

Now try it, if you get the same results, it's not the wiring harness or the motor...

An error code of 8 doesn't necessarily mean a faulty wiring harness, in my case the lower gear was bound up but giving error code 8

Are you sure the motors are synced per Schwintek? Also in my case, they were out of sync and causing the slide to go in/out at an angle...

Good luck and let us know what you find
    Rick

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I swapped the plugs on the controller as you suggested. I ran the slide several times and it works flawlessly and in sync. Not sure what to make of this? Is it the controller?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast