User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Earlier today I ordered a new 90-degree 50-amp dogbone adapter for the camper, plus a new 30-amp cord that has the three-prong male plug that plugs into the shore power pedestal on one end and the four-slot twist lock female plug on the other end. I don't like to put so much torque on the camper plug by having the cord stick straight out from it. I can use my current 50-amp cord with the new dogbone as well.
    2020 Grand Design 230 RL
    2019 Ford F-250 6.7L Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    Ok, I really must apologize for this question but our first camping trip is coming up and my Wife is having anxiety over it so I want it to go smoothly. If I have a site that is 30amp service what would I expect the plug to be? The cord I currently have is a TT-30P to a L5-30R. I hope that is correct because I went by pictures.

I am hoping that is what I need for most campsites. If not, what types of adapters should I bring along?
    If the better half is having some anxiety about the 30 amp service, keep in mind that running the the air conditioner and microwave will pop the circuit breaker almost every time. Just like the air conditioner and water heater on electric mode will probably pop the circuit breaker. This is the downfall to 30 amp system as you cannot run two high draw items at the same time. Usually things like the AC and televisions and small plugs can all work at the same time though.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    If the better half is having some anxiety about the 30 amp service, keep in mind that running the the air conditioner and microwave will pop the circuit breaker almost every time. Just like the air conditioner and water heater on electric mode will probably pop the circuit breaker. This is the downfall to 30 amp system as you cannot run two high draw items at the same time. Usually things like the AC and televisions and small plugs can all work at the same time though.

Not necessarily so.
    My previous 5th was wired for 30 amp, and never, ever blew a breaker when everything was running.
    My current 2670MK while wired for 50 (for a never installed second AC) has spent it's whole life plugged into various 30 amp campground connections, and has never blown a breaker even when all is running full tilt. OK...I've never run the fireplace (space heater) at the same time as the AC...that would be silly. So maybe a breaker would finally pop with that combo plus everything else...
    All depends on how big a microwave, AC, etc GD installed. I'm sure they get it close, but designing it so that you couldn't use everything at once at the rated amp input would just make PO'd customers.....
    If the trailer comes with a 50amp input, then it very well may not be able to run everything on just 30. Mine is a lucky case of only needing the extra for the AC I don't have.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    Not necessarily so.
    My previous 5th was wired for 30 amp, and never, ever blew a breaker when everything was running.
    My current 2670MK while wired for 50 (for a never installed second AC) has spent it's whole life plugged into various 30 amp campground connections, and has never blown a breaker even when all is running full tilt. OK...I've never run the fireplace (space heater) at the same time as the AC...that would be silly. So maybe a breaker would finally pop with that combo plus everything else...
    All depends on how big a microwave, AC, etc GD installed. I'm sure they get it close, but designing it so that you couldn't use everything at once at the rated amp input would just make PO'd customers.....
    If the trailer comes with a 50amp input, then it very well may not be able to run everything on just 30. Mine is a lucky case of only needing the extra for the AC I don't have.
    One consideration about whether or not you will pop a breaker is the age of your coach. The newer coaches have more efficient A/C units as well as soft (or hard) start devices built in which reduces the chance of popping a breaker. I know that on my old camper I couldn't get my generator to run the A/C on a hot day until I installed a hard start device. Conversely, I had no problem running the A/C on the new coach with the same generator.

Whenever you are using a 30 amp connection, it is a good idea to keep track of which "heavy draw" appliances you are using at a given time. As an example; one time right after we setup we had both A/C units running to cool down the camper along with the TV and lights and my wife went to use the microwave and we popped the breaker, turns out she had also turned on the water heater in electric mode instead of Propane mode.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    Not necessarily so.
    Same experience with me. Never blown a 30A yet, even though our current rig is 50A. We Also, like you, do not have the 2nd AC installed. Our previous TT we went to a campground twice a year and used 20A plug in's. Did not have any issue running AC and other items, including the fridge. The TT was a 30A connection from the factory.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget to purchase a 110 Volt 20 amp household plug adapter for your to 30 amp male cord plug, just in case you are forced to connect your RV into a regular duplex...
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fez111 View Post
    Don't forget to purchase a 110 Volt 20 amp household plug adapter for your to 30 amp male cord plug, just in case you are forced to connect your RV into a regular duplex...
    I think we got all of our adapters to fit any situation. We did have our first outing and it went well. The place we chose is redoing all the sites so each site had 50, 30 and 20 amp service.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12