User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tire PSI?

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to know the tires REAL max as well. I have 80 psi Endurance shoes on the trailer and run them at 80psi. Running I see up to 93psi. Never seen a manufacturer state a max hot psi limit. But i'm curious what it is.

If you know your weights, you CAN safely reduce the tire psi, but I see no benefit in it for RV owners. Those that say the trailer runs smoother, well you are more 'in tune' with your rig than me...I can't tell. My previous 5er I went from 65psi Marathons to 80 psi Marathons and it seemed the same to me?While there may be some RV'ers out there that wear out their tires, I don't, so as huntindog says, it's secondary/tertiary importance. And you won't centre bare your tires running max-I never have- they are designed to hold their shape, tires are not like an inner tube. Lastly, every psi you drop tire pressure will increase tire temperature. Aside from road hazards, temperature is what will kill your tire, so, for me, it's max on every tire I own...well except the rears on my 440 Challenger...but that's a different concern....
    And that's my unqualified 'opinion'....lol
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
    I've got the stock tires on my 381m which require 110psi.

I've got a tire pressure monitoring system so I am always aware of the tire PSI.

During my last trip, it was 100 degrees outside and the tires went up to brushing again 130psi. I wonder how high it will get when the temps get to 115! The tires in the sun were a little bit higher than the ones on the other side of the sun, but overall they were all usually within 123-128psi.

Is that a normal raise in PSI? I know you are supposed to do 110psi cold, but should I lower the cold psi at all when in HOT days?
    The two differences between what you saw and what we saw are:

1. Our tires that came with our Solitude were Load range "E" rates 80 PSI max. Our rims are rated 110 PSI MAX. I filled then to EXACTLY 80 Psi on a 70 degree morning.

2. 90 minutes later we were on the shoulder of Eastbound I-94 in Michigan with a blowout and a $1750 + $500 deductible insurance claim!!! The other three tires were over 100 Psi.

This is when I bought 14-ply Carlyle load range "G" tires and an EEZ-Tire system. Even in moderate temps my RV tires gain 25 -35 Psi in the first hour. I usually start out in the high 80's and they settle down somewhere above 105 Psi. This solved this problem for us and I no longer worry about blowouts.
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fez111 View Post
    This is when I bought 14-ply Carlyle load range "G" tires and an EEZ-Tire system. Even in moderate temps my RV tires gain 25 -35 Psi in the first hour. I usually start out in the high 80's and they settle down somewhere above 105 Psi. This solved this problem for us and I no longer worry about blowouts.
    This is JMO, but if you're gaining 25-35 psi in an hour at moderate temperatures, I think you're setting the pressure too low to begin with, and generating lots of heat with sidewall flexing. I run G-rated tires and they usually gain about 15 psi after a couple hours, in moderate temperatures. But I start out at 105 psi, and they usually stabilize at around 120-125 psi, and that's after a few hours. What are the temperatures of those tires running?
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    This is JMO, but if you're gaining 25-35 psi in an hour at moderate temperatures, I think you're setting the pressure too low to begin with, and generating lots of heat with sidewall flexing. I run G-rated tires and they usually gain about 15 psi after a couple hours, in moderate temperatures. But I start out at 105 psi, and they usually stabilize at around 120-125 psi, and that's after a few hours. What are the temperatures of those tires running?
    I start out at 80, 0n the button, always. This past Monday while returning from camping, my tires got to 87-89 psi after one hour. I have never seen a gain of 25 psi. Last year we traveled over 3 hours in 95 degree weather and never saw more that a 10 to 15 psi increase.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROC View Post
    I start out at 80, 0n the button, always. This past Monday while returning from camping, my tires got to 87-89 psi after one hour. I have never seen a gain of 25 psi. Last year we traveled over 3 hours in 95 degree weather and never saw more that a 10 to 15 psi increase.
    You're running E-rated ST tires?
    Howard and Peggy

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
    I've got the stock tires on my 381m which require 110psi.

I've got a tire pressure monitoring system so I am always aware of the tire PSI.

During my last trip, it was 100 degrees outside and the tires went up to brushing again 130psi. I wonder how high it will get when the temps get to 115! The tires in the sun were a little bit higher than the ones on the other side of the sun, but overall they were all usually within 123-128psi.

Is that a normal raise in PSI? I know you are supposed to do 110psi cold, but should I lower the cold psi at all when in HOT days?
    Inflate to the specified pressure on your RV placard and don't worry about it. Placard pressure may, or may not, be the "max cold" rating of the tire.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    You're running E-rated ST tires?
    Yes I am. The originals that came on the RV ST235/80R16 LRE
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Tire Load Chart Cooper Roadmaster

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Solitude Tires Load Ratings.pdf 
Views:	19 
Size:	215.1 KB 
ID:	41491For those of you with Cooper Roadmaster tires, on the Solitude they are 215/75R17.5, here is the load rating at various psi directly from Cooper Tires Website:
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes
    Solar System. 8 100 AH Lithium batteries, 12 200 watt panels, Victron 3000 watt inverter, Smart Shunt, Cerbo, & 2 MPPT Charger/Controllers
    Travel 6 months each year

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had this question as well as I live in FL and my 110 cold psi tires heat up to 130-132 easily on hot long travel days..
    That bothered me, so I pull up to rest stop and drop them 5 psi to 125.

Should I just let them run at 130? and not bother?

ie is there a MAXIMUM psi that 110 cold G tires can safely be run?

that is the real question.
    Last edited by Jdjaguar; 04-21-2023 at 04:34 PM.
    2018 Solitude 310GK
    2021 F350 6.7 Diesel Platinum SRW 4X4
    Curt Q20 Slider

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdjaguar View Post
    I had this question as well as I live in FL and my 110 cold psi tires heat up to 130-132 easily on hot long travel days..
    That bothered me, so I pull up to rest stop and drop them 5 psi to 125.

Should I just let them run at 130? and not bother?
    I would. I would never depressurize a tire.

On Edit, I would never depressurize a tire when it's hot and in use.
    Last edited by Hoopy Frood; 04-21-2023 at 04:55 PM.
    Howard and Peggy

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast