Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Replacing the hot water check valve

I saw water coming from under the hutch so I remove the two bottom drawers and noticed water coming from the hot water check valve. GD used a cheap plastic valve and I believe they used plumbers putty to seal it which is a no no in this type of application. Looking at the stains on the heater and the floor, it looks like this has been leaking for a while until it gave way completely. I called a local RV dealer to get a replacement valve. LOL. I had to order one on Amazon and decided to order a brass check valve instead of the cheap plastic one. I thought I could switch over to winterized on the nautilus system and get water that way. That didn't work because the hot water check valve keeps the water from entering the hot water heater. I had no idea that water is sent back through the hot water line to the heater, duh. I also ordered a new 1/2 pex elbow for the hot water line. The hot and cold water lines going into the heater are not pex. Its a rubber garden hose type line. Its larger than pex so I was confused how GD got a 1/2 crimp on this hose. I thought about using a 5/8 crimp, but the barb on the elbow was 1/2 so I thought that probably won't work. I had to resort to a lubricant to slide the crimp onto the hose. After I put plumbers tape on the valve, screwed it back in, crimped and connected the elbow, and turned on the water I was still getting a leak through the threads on the valve. I decided to call my plumber. He told me to buy number 5 thread sealant and Monster plumber tape. Apply the number 5 sealant to the female threads and use the monster tape on the male threads. Bingo, no more leaks. I've attached before and after pics. On the original valve, you can see the putty or sealant that GD used.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220605_102407.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	41131Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220608_110216.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	41132Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220608_111943.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	41133

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus216 View Post
    I saw water coming from under the hutch so I remove the two bottom drawers and noticed water coming from the hot water check valve. GD used a cheap plastic valve and I believe they used plumbers putty to seal it which is a no no in this type of application. Looking at the stains on the heater and the floor, it looks like this has been leaking for a while until it gave way completely. I called a local RV dealer to get a replacement valve. LOL. I had to order one on Amazon and decided to order a brass check valve instead of the cheap plastic one. I thought I could switch over to winterized on the nautilus system and get water that way. That didn't work because the hot water check valve keeps the water from entering the hot water heater. I had no idea that water is sent back through the hot water line to the heater, duh. I also ordered a new 1/2 pex elbow for the hot water line. The hot and cold water lines going into the heater are not pex. Its a rubber garden hose type line. Its larger than pex so I was confused how GD got a 1/2 crimp on this hose. I thought about using a 5/8 crimp, but the barb on the elbow was 1/2 so I thought that probably won't work. I had to resort to a lubricant to slide the crimp onto the hose. After I put plumbers tape on the valve, screwed it back in, crimped and connected the elbow, and turned on the water I was still getting a leak through the threads on the valve. I decided to call my plumber. He told me to buy number 5 thread sealant and Monster plumber tape. Apply the number 5 sealant to the female threads and use the monster tape on the male threads. Bingo, no more leaks. I've attached before and after pics. On the original valve, you can see the putty or sealant that GD used.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220605_102407.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	41131Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220608_110216.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	41132Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220608_111943.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	41133
    Great story, way to stay with it. I may have to get a bit of that #5 sealant and monster tape for my kit.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S