Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kayak on F450 roof pulling a 5th wheel.

We are once again changing toys. Our Momentum 376TH has a little garage, it's full. 2 bicycles, motorcycle, inflatable kayak, disk golf basket, ski equipment, tools, and some other stuff.

But we want 11' kayaks, one for her, one for me. Hobie Mirage Passport 10.5, pedal powered kayaks. But I have no place to put them. It's kind of like brining a pony home. Yes one of them is sitting by the front door...

So I have seen kayaks on top of pickups pulling 5th wheels. Obviously there is an issue with them sticking back too far and interfering with the 5th wheel turning radius. I have seen a lot of folks that extend the kayak out front over the hood to solve this problem. I have done this before with a canoe and don't really want to go there if I can help it. So I am investigating roof top kayak carrying systems.

Looks like before I am done with getting it set up I will have about $1000 invested in roof racks. I was just hoping someone on the forum has already done the homework required to make this adventure successful and would be willing to share their lessons learned, trials, tribulations, and elations.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you hang them from the ceiling in the garage - perhaps some sort of overhead rack?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob may be into something, we use a pulley system to hang out bicycles up in a shed
    Here's a few designed for kayaks to pick from
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dallas - there are a number of threads with "Kayak" in them. Some light reading may yield some good information. I recall the thread below from forum member Aaron sharing this thread with a rack on the rear of their 369 Solitude. I don't think Momentums have a factory hitch but maybe a possibility to add. Carrying on the rear like this would seem to be an easier to use solution. Heck they even had 12' Kayaks as noted in the thread so your 10' ones would help to ensure that the hitch is as high as possible to prevent possible dragging in those road dips.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ghlight=kayaks

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen the vertical rack that go behind the rig. Very impressive. I saw one on our current trip that had 2 kayaks and 2 bikes made by rvkayakracks.com . I've also seen another member on here that had a hitch receiver installed in the front of his truck and a roof rack to put his kayaks on top and extend forward of his truck. I'll see if I can dig up the thread. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200912_164609.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	41149

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Can you hang them from the ceiling in the garage - perhaps some sort of overhead rack?
    Rob
    You totally underestimate how much stuff I have in my little 376 garage. Barbs little 8' kayak went in there, wasn't slung from the roof, but laid nicely over my motorcycle. I am getting 2 ten foot kayaks, no way am I getting them in the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post
    Dallas - there are a number of threads with "Kayak" in them.
    Dan
    LOL, first step in analyzing new RV things is to do a search. Lots of history to be found. I only found one picture of two kayaks over pickup roof pulling 5th wheel. Lots of other ideas also.

I am buying Hobie Mirage Passport Pedal Powered Kayaks. I thought about the rear rack on the back of my Momentum, but lack of hard structure and low ground clearance makes it difficult to add a hitch to accommodate the rear rack. I had a motorcycle rear rack on my SOB. It only weighed 250lbs, but having stuff that far back on a 5th wheel creates some interesting forces, I finally got my motorcycle to stay put by putting a 9000lb capacity truckers cargo ratchet strap around it. So not a fan of putting stuff on the back of my 5th wheel. Way too many miles over crappy roads. Plus finding hard mounting points where the garage door is.

I am pretty set on putting the kayaks on a rack over the truck. My biggest concern is turning clearance on the 5th wheel.

All good suggestions, keep them coming.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750