User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cabinet Bottom Separating

The bottom of the storage cubby on ether side of the stereo in our Reflection 29RS is separating from the dividers. This area is in the living room slide above the fireplace. Any thoughts on how to get into this area to do a repair? Thanks in advance.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cubby 2.jpg   Cubby.jpg  
    U.S. Air Force Retired
    2020 F250 Lariat PS 6.7
    2021 Reflection 29RS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what is see I would blue masking tape edges of the separated pieces. Then apply gorilla glue to the staples area with a small paint brush so as not to get too much in there. Then a brace or two from below to act as a clamp for several hours. Remove the blue tape shortly after the glue is applied so it will not be permanent. Gorilla glue is a tricky tool but it will reinforce that stapled edge. Plastic single edged razors help with any residual. Best of luck.
    Randy and Kris

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a common issue with cabinets and drawers that have been stapled together.
    I've used small l shaped brackets to resecure the bottoms

Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    From what is see I would blue masking tape edges of the separated pieces. Then apply gorilla glue to the staples area with a small paint brush so as not to get too much in there. Then a brace or two from below to act as a clamp for several hours. Remove the blue tape shortly after the glue is applied so it will not be permanent. Gorilla glue is a tricky tool but it will reinforce that stapled edge. Plastic single edged razors help with any residual. Best of luck.
    Thanks! Stroguy and @WhittleBurner. How did you get into the area below? I can't see a clear way to access the area and didn't want to just start cutting holes. Can I pull the panel behind the TV out?
    U.S. Air Force Retired
    2020 F250 Lariat PS 6.7
    2021 Reflection 29RS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shisa-01 View Post
    Thanks! Stroguy and @WhittleBurner. How did you get into the area below? I can't see a clear way to access the area and didn't want to just start cutting holes. Can I pull the panel behind the TV out?

OK, one more time... was having a fight with my caps lock on the keyboard....I put the brackets on from the inside and ran a bead of wood glue on the seams. It's held for about 4 years now on a couple drawers and 1 cabinet bottom
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 295RL's lower middle larger drawers in the hutch also have had some issues with separation on the bottom panels. I tried the glue remedy and it too did not work after some time. My fix is to place some thin aluminum support under the bottom panels of the drawer centered. My next campground spare time project.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thin panels in my GD will not accept wood glue. The make up of the veneer and panel itself do not appear to be a wood or paper product. I have found only Gorilla glue holds after clamping.
    Randy and Kris

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are ambitious, look behind the TV bracket and you will find a huge space that is not being used for anything. If you are handy doing wood work, you could find ways to use that space. Just remove one of the electrical sockets and take a peek. It's huge. You probably can figure out how to resolve you problem too.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The shelf is literally just the veneer thickness there to the staple up into the bottom edge of the divider, which has a 1x1 in it. This is the result of what happens using non-adhesive coated staples and the wood drying out. The best, most permanent fix is from bottom up using truss head screws (lathe screws) to replace the staples. Obviously, you would need to get behind the TV needing to pull that apart as mentioned. You could also pull the side off the divider, use toggle bolts with a washer behind the machine screw head and pull it up into position. May need to using 4 to 6 of them in long 1/8" style and then put the side back on. One thing you can always count on with all RV manufacturers - the use adhesives were they should not and they do not use adhesives where they should...
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania