Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maintaining 6-pt landing gear?

I've got the usual 6 pt leveling system on my Solitude. What should I be doing for the legs in terms of maintenance?

ie, clean them with what? Spray them with what kind of lube? How often? I've read conflicting ideas!

Thanks, Ron
    2016 CTD 2500
    2018 ST-310GK

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep the shafts clean and dry. Any moisture and/or oil on the shafts will attract dirt, grit, sand, etc., all of which are seal killers. Cycle them periodically to keep the seals pliable, and lubricated. You could construct a seal wiper if you were so inclined. You could check with your hand for any nicks or abrasions on the shaft surfaces. Not really much maintenance involved. The shafts are hard-chrome plated and will not rust unless the chrome surface is damaged. If you have the shafts exposed to salt air, or salt water, some extra cleaning couldn't hurt.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A silicone spray lube after wiping down. That’s what I used to do with my class a. Wipe clean then a very light spray

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wipe mine every retract, a quick spray with Zep 45 & wipe every other. Still just had one replace 'cause it leaked. If they start popping on you put some fork oil in it.
    Not much more you can do.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3rd View Post
    I've got the usual 6 pt leveling system on my Solitude. What should I be doing for the legs in terms of maintenance?

ie, clean them with what? Spray them with what kind of lube? How often? I've read conflicting ideas!

Thanks, Ron
    With both this unit and our 2017. Really never touch them. Just put some fluid film spray on the exposed shafts at winter storage.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used either ATF or motorcycle fork oil for the last nine years on the six point hyd system cylinders... I wipe them down with a light coat of fluid everytime I get ready to retract them...

This cleans off the dust and grit and keeps the external wiper seal clean and pliable... Silicone dry film spray is useless... Lippert has gone back and forth on what to use several times and now suggests using spray with PTFE or ATF fluid...

If you don't operate the system occasionally that is also not good for the Hydac valves, cylinder seals, and pump and motor