User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PJOB View Post
    Beware the square tube coupler! After 2 ‘seasons’ - about 20,000 km, I noticed some metal shavings in the truck bed and disassembled the hitch. The 2 set screws had worn almost completely through the square tube coupler. Don’t want to think about what would have happened had I not caught this.
    Andersen was great. They shipped a replacement part at no charge and I had it in less than a week after contacting them.
    Love the hitch. I encourage everyone to regularly inspect. You cannot see the wear point unless you take it apart (a very simple task).
    Any chance those bolts weren’t torqued enough and the resulting play contributed to the wear? I’m pretty sure Andersen has upped the spec on those two bolts in the last few years.

Best regards,
    Chris
    2020 Solitude 310GK FBP
    2019 Ford F350 SRW CCSB AUH
    Former Rig - 2013 North Trail FBS22
    2013 Expedition EL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used the Andersen on our 2800BH since we bought it a year ago. I did initially have some issues with the brackets sliding on the frame, even with the set screws torqued properly. I drilled the pilot holes for the set screws that is recommended by Andersen and my setup has been solid ever since.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaChris View Post
    Any chance those bolts weren’t torqued enough and the resulting play contributed to the wear? I’m pretty sure Andersen has upped the spec on those two bolts in the last few years.

Best regards,
    Chris
    Good question Chris. I have been very careful when applying the correct torque on the bolts. If anything in particular, I would guess that it is the number of times that I have had the hitch in and out of the TV. The coupler is aluminum and the bolts are steel ie. harder material. It seems that it is a wear issue.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobinICT View Post
    Interesting post but. I can't for the life of me figure out what you're referring to. The metal shavings in the truck bed is what is throwing me off.
    The metal shavings alerted me to 'something is not right'. There was no reason for metal shavings to be present. It prompted me to disassemble the hitch and then discovered the excessive wear on the coupler.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good question Chris. I have been very careful when applying the correct torque on the bolts. If anything in particular, I would guess that it is the number of times that I have had the hitch in and out of the TV. The coupler is aluminum and the bolts are steel ie. harder material. It seems that it is a wear issue.
    Thanks for the follow-up! I'm glad Andersen took good care of you. They were the same way when the rim started to separate on one of my Andersen Jack Blocks. They did charge me a very small amount for shipping, which I gladly paid.

Best regards,
    Chris
    2020 Solitude 310GK FBP
    2019 Ford F350 SRW CCSB AUH
    Former Rig - 2013 North Trail FBS22
    2013 Expedition EL

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The metal shavings alerted me to 'something is not right'. There was no reason for metal shavings to be present. It prompted me to disassemble the hitch and then discovered the excessive wear on the coupler.

Right church, wrong pew. This discussion is on the WD travel trailer hitch.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

currently we are on our way to Salome AZ.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moonshoxx View Post
    Folks this has probably been asked but I am a newbie here. Looking at imagine xls 23lde. Like the Andersen hitch due to light weight and ease of setup. However I have started seeing issues with frame deformation and movement of brackets. Any insight would be helpful and appreciated
    i purchased the andersen hitch because of all the hype like the price and light weight. after my first 2 tows I found it to be inadequet. first my pin weight was 4200# and it tops out at 4500# and that didnt make me feel good about it also driving down some roads i would experience Porpoising which is like an uncontrolled up and down, it was even a bit scary. I sold it right away and purchased a real hitch a B&W 25k. it works perfectly every time
    Mike and Renee with Gracie our Golden Retriever on a full time journey exploring our great Country
    2021 Momentum 395m with Factory installed 8k axles with disc brakes and solar package, 4976# CCC
    2015 F350 CC LB DRW. Firestone #5000 air bags with Air One remote control and Bilstein shocks
    25k B&W Companion on factory 5th wheel mounts

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a note …. The original post is referring to the Anderson * Weight Distribution * hitch and not the Anderson * 5th wheel * hitch.

Comments re the 5th wheel hitch are valuable but don’t help answer the questions posed in the beginning of this thread.

Bob
    2019 Imagine 2400BH
    Progressive Industries Hardwired EMS, RV Airflow, MicroAir EasyStart, MaxxAir Fan
    2021 Ram 1500 Bighorn EcoDiesel CC short bed
    Anderson Weight Distribution Hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockdaddy View Post
    i purchased the andersen hitch because of all the hype like the price and light weight. after my first 2 tows I found it to be inadequet. first my pin weight was 4200# and it tops out at 4500# and that didnt make me feel good about it also driving down some roads i would experience Porpoising which is like an uncontrolled up and down, it was even a bit scary. I sold it right away and purchased a real hitch a B&W 25k. it works perfectly every time

Wrong type of RV. This is about the travel trailer Andersen hitch.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased a new Andersen Weight Distributing hitch for our new 2021 Imagine 2600RB travel trailer. Very pleased with the ease of installation and ease of use. It's lightweight is an added plus. No more spring bars or sway bar to mess with. After 20 + years using a standard Draw-Tite hitch and sway bar with our previous trailer, I was ready for a change.

7 trips and around 2000 miles.

John

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123