User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reese Goose Box on a 2021 F-350 with a 6.7' bed

I'm looking into a Reese Goose Box for our Reflection 337RLS to be towed by our F-350 Std bed pickup with the 6.7' bed and the Ford puck 5-point system. If you are towing this way, how has it been? Especially turning and backing up. Plus, what gooseneck ball are you using? Thank you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I’m not an expert, but I was trying the same configuration for our 2022 Solitude. After talking to GD customer support along with Lippert (574.537.8900), I confirmed that GD uses a newer Lippert chassis for the 2022 Solitude, leveraging Lippert’s newer “Rhino” pin box. Well I just found that this newer chassis is not compatible with the Reese air-bag Goosebox, at least not until Reese comes out with a newer product. Instead we are having to go with the “Lippert Gooseneck Connect 21k” which will safely tow my Solitude behind my F350, but without any air-bag cushioning. Not sure this applies to you but I wanted to share my findings

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Mike. Lippert & Grand Design should be disclosing this incompatible frame. Especially since Lippert bought out Reese.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slightly different on a few fronts, but similar: We tow a 303RLS equipped with a Gen-Y Executive Gooseneck conversion hitch, with our 2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4HD, and use a B&W ball and chain kit.

We admittedly haven't done any long hauls yet but the short trips we've taken have us extremely happy with the setup. I also haven't towed with a traditional 5th wheel hitch for comparison. That said the GenY is smooth (even before hitting the advertised break in threshold) and no regrets at all. We knew we wanted a GN conversion because of the bedspace and quick changeover from towing mode to hauling stuff in the bed mode. We installed the Gen Y with 3 people in the parking lot of the RV dealership, using the truck bed and 2 people to hold the hitch in place, 1 person to align bolts. The most difficult part was that the breakaway switch was riveted to the lippert frame and a rivet was in the way of the hitch; we had to drill that out and remount the breakaway.

I have a good friend with a Reese Goosebox on his 28BH, pulled by a Ford F350 and using a Curt ball I believe. He's also very happy with the setup. I've ridden in his setup and it's also nice and smooth.

EDIT: one thing to be mindful of, without having a long bed is how close your front cap overhang gets to your truck can when making a big turn, like tight space backing. My buddy had a long bed and has zero issues but my standard bed (6'6") can have the front cap come very close to hitting my rolled up tonneau cover (Truxedo Sentry CT) if I get close to 90 degrees in a backup. As long as I'm mindful of it, it's fine. Worst case I can pull the tonneau and have an extra 6" of clearance. Standard backing and turning is zero issue as all.
    Last edited by WondersAwait; 06-27-2022 at 04:36 PM.
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4, CC, SRW, 6.6L L8T Gas, MYD 6-Speed
    2022 Reflection 303RLS w/ Gen-Y Executive gooseneck conversion hitch
    630aH LiFePO4 Lion Energy battery bank, Victron Multi-Plus II Inverter, Victron MPPT, 563w solar array, CerboGX, 40a DC-DC charger

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be interested to hear more about this - what is supposed to be incompatible? We have a 2022 Solitude and had the dealer install a Goosebox 16K (2nd gen) at delivery. Prior to going ahead with this, I personally talked with both GD engineering and Reese and was assured it was a proper setup. We tow with a 2020 F-350 LB so I can't answer anything about the 6.7' bed, but I am very happy with the Goosebox setup after a couple of seasons now. I got the B&W ball just cause I liked the nice carry case that it came with so I've got a place to put the greasy ball between tows. I've become a big fan of the Gooseneck vs. 5th wheel.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemccormick123 View Post
    Hi, I’m not an expert, but I was trying the same configuration for our 2022 Solitude. After talking to GD customer support along with Lippert (574.537.8900), I confirmed that GD uses a newer Lippert chassis for the 2022 Solitude, leveraging Lippert’s newer “Rhino” pin box. Well I just found that this newer chassis is not compatible with the Reese air-bag Goosebox, at least not until Reese comes out with a newer product. Instead we are having to go with the “Lippert Gooseneck Connect 21k” which will safely tow my Solitude behind my F350, but without any air-bag cushioning. Not sure this applies to you but I wanted to share my findings

Mike

Dan & Connie

Current Rig: 2022 GD Solitude 310GK-R / 2020 F-350 PSD CC LB SRW
    Previous: 2007 Montana Mountaineer 32 PHD / 2011 F-250 CC LB SRW

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemccormick123 View Post

Mike

Very interesting - when did they change on the 2022's? My 2022 Solitude build date was early Dec 2021 and I'm pulling with a Goosebox 20K after confirming the with GD and Lippert and getting the go ahead from both - installed from day one. Then again, mine was delivered with a Morryde pin box and there was no problem with the holes lining up for the Goosebox.

This is on the Reese website:
    "Compatible with a wide range of trailers, including the Lippert 1621, 1716, 0719, and Fabex PB 600 Series, and those with the Lippert Rhino bolt-hole pattern." Doesn't seem to jive with what LCI and GD are saying in terms of Rhino compatibility but you would think LCI would know.

Wonder if @huntr70 can chime in?
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, when Grand Design started the newer "S" models, 351MS, 376THS, etc, these were based on the new Rhino chassis from Lippert.

Solitude follow suit shortly after.

To my knowledge, the only gooseball pinbox replacement that fits is the Gen Y hitch.

Supposedly, Reese is working on a Rhino Box, but unsure when they will be available.

They do have them listed in their part's line up, but we have yet to be able to get one for the Rhino frame.
    Last edited by huntr70; 07-01-2023 at 02:36 PM.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Very interesting - when did they change on the 2022's? My 2022 Solitude build date was early Dec 2021 and I'm pulling with a Goosebox 20K after confirming the with GD and Lippert and getting the go ahead from both - installed from day one. Then again, mine was delivered with a Morryde pin box and there was no problem with the holes lining up for the Goosebox.

This is on the Reese website:
    "Compatible with a wide range of trailers, including the Lippert 1621, 1716, 0719, and Fabex PB 600 Series, and those with the Lippert Rhino bolt-hole pattern." Doesn't seem to jive with what LCI and GD are saying in terms of Rhino compatibility but you would think LCI would know.

Wonder if @huntr70 can chime in?
    I guess I chimed in rather late to this thread - it's a year old. I haven't been on the forum much for some time but expect to become more active. Our Solitude is an early 2022, built in June 2021, took delivery 06-21-2021. Ours also came with the MORryde pinbox.
    Dan & Connie

Current Rig: 2022 GD Solitude 310GK-R / 2020 F-350 PSD CC LB SRW
    Previous: 2007 Montana Mountaineer 32 PHD / 2011 F-250 CC LB SRW