User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replacing black tank sensor on my Solitude 3740

Working in maintenance at a paper mill for more than 35 years I thought replacing the black tank sensor would be a easy task. Of course the dealership could not get to it when I had it in for the annual service and they told me all I had to do is drop one (1) of the panels directly under the tank, unplug the sensor and install the new sensor. That was not actuate information. Got home, crawled under my RV and discovered the panel under my Solitude is one continuous panel from one end to the other. With fuel cost like it is, I'm not making another 200 mile round trip to the dealership for them to replace it. Before I cut an access window in the under-pen panel and void my warranty, has anyone replaced a sensor by dropping the continuous panel? Thanks!
    Papa John & Gigi
    2019 GD Solitude 3740RBH
    2020 GMC Denali 2500HD SRW Crew Cab STD Bed with Factory Puck Sys
    B&W Campion 5th Wheel Hitch, BWRVK3710 Fixed

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do you need to replace a sensor? There are ways to clean them if they are dirty. That said, the only way to access the tank is to drop the Coroplast underbelly or cut a flap (leave it intact at the front to fold down) and repair it with mobile home underbelly repair tape.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you are installing a more reliable unit, like Sealevel etc..I would never go to the effort of replacing the original. They are notoriously useless.
    But....Dropping and reinstalling the Coro-last is not difficult if you are ok shimmying around on your back under the rig.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    Working in maintenance at a paper mill for more than 35 years I thought replacing the black tank sensor would be a easy task. Of course the dealership could not get to it when I had it in for the annual service and they told me all I had to do is drop one (1) of the panels directly under the tank, unplug the sensor and install the new sensor. That was not actuate information. Got home, crawled under my RV and discovered the panel under my Solitude is one continuous panel from one end to the other. With fuel cost like it is, I'm not making another 200 mile round trip to the dealership for them to replace it. Before I cut an access window in the under-pen panel and void my warranty, has anyone replaced a sensor by dropping the continuous panel? Thanks!
    John
    Have you tried just cleaning the sensors? In the black tank I would add 1 cup Dawn, and a Tied laundry tab along with 3/4 tank full of water and go for a good drive. There is also a thread here where folks have had good luck with this product https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-411...8&gclsrc=3p.ds
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Why do you need to replace a sensor? There are ways to clean them if they are dirty. That said, the only way to access the tank is to drop the Coroplast underbelly or cut a flap (leave it intact at the front to fold down) and repair it with mobile home underbelly repair tape.

Rob
    Thanks for all the replies! The sensor is bad, it gives no signal. The dealership told me it was a simple job but did not have time to install it. I told them I could install it so they gave me the sensor to install. I do use Dawn in my tanks at the camp grounds when cleaning before leaving, every time, and when a light seems to be stuck at a certain level. I'll do like you suggested Rob and cut a flap in the coroplast to access the sensor.
    Papa John & Gigi
    2019 GD Solitude 3740RBH

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll do like you suggested Rob and cut a flap in the coroplast to access the sensor.
    How you gonna figure where to cut the coroplast? And when you do cut it...be careful..pretty sure wires etc just lay on the coroplast....unsecured.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. I even had brakelines just laying on it!
    When I removed mine, over 20' of hydraulic brakeline hit the concrete!
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tips!
    Papa John & Gigi
    2019 GD Solitude 3740RBH

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the replies! The sensor is bad, it gives no signal. The dealership told me it was a simple job but did not have time to install it. I told them I could install it so they gave me the sensor to install. I do use Dawn in my tanks at the camp grounds when cleaning before leaving, every time, and when a light seems to be stuck at a certain level. I'll do like you suggested Rob and cut a flap in the coroplast to access the sensor.
    What signal?
    The way they work is pretty simple. All they are is metal studs protruding into the tank. The wires attach to the part that is outside of the tank. The sensors are installed at different heights. when the water level touches two or more sensors, it completes the circuit resulting in the the corrosponding lights illuminating on the display. There is really nothing to fail on them. What goes wrong is that bits of debri such as TP gets stuck to them and if they are wet can complete the circuit even though the water level is not there.
    So they do not produce a signal. They just complete a circuit.
    Last edited by huntindog; 06-13-2022 at 12:26 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Yep. I even had brakelines just laying on it!
    When I removed mine, over 20' of hydraulic brakeline hit the concrete!
    I think you are referring to hydraulic lines for the slide. Brake lines are rigid 1/4" metal lines.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast