Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Safe to use 2 car ramps to raise 2 wheels at same time?

I just finished greasing the bearings on our tandem axle 22RBE, raising 1 wheel at a time using a RV tire changing ramp. I have a couple of car ramps that I could put in front of the front wheels to raise both rear wheels, then put in back of the rear wheels to raise both front wheels. Anyone know if this is or is not a safe thing to do? Each axle is rated at 3500 lbs, and the trailer has a dry weight of 5125 lbs, probably about 6000 lbs as it sits right now, so this would be overloading an axle, but it would only be driving up and down a ramp, not going down the highway.
    Just trying to be as lazy as safely possible.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2021 Ram 2500 Hemi, Crew Cab Short Bed
    2-206 AH SOK Batteries, Victron MultiPlus 3000VA Inverter, 800 watts solar

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, not only the axles be overloaded, so would the tires, as you would have one wheel supporting all the weight on one side. I don't think it's an issue, but just pointing that out.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    you would have one wheel supporting all the weight on one side.
    Would that be any more weight on the tire than using just the RV tire changing ramp? In fact, when using the single ramp on the left side (for instance), the weighted tire is above the 2 equally weighted tires on the right side. Wouldn't a single tire being raised put even more weight on it than if both sides were on ramps? With a ramp on both sides there would not be any twisting (torsional?) forces.
    Sometimes I wish I had payed more attention in college physics classes.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2021 Ram 2500 Hemi, Crew Cab Short Bed
    2-206 AH SOK Batteries, Victron MultiPlus 3000VA Inverter, 800 watts solar

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the fact that you now have one wheel supporting what is usually supported by both wheels, is one reason given why some people don't like the tire changing ramps. IMO, pretty much a non-issue, unless you're doing it long term.
    Howard and Peggy

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jacking near the suspension connections on the frame is always better than axles IMO. But, alot of folks use ramps for emergencies and leveling and it doesnt apear to cause any issues.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    Jacking near the suspension connections on the frame is always better than axles IMO. But, alot of folks use ramps for emergencies and leveling and it doesnt apear to cause any issues.
    What kind of jack do you use when you jack up using the frame? I've never found one tall enough, and strong enough, without breaking the bank.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put my floor jack between the tires and under the equalizer when needing to lift one side of my camper.
    2019 2970RL
    2020 F250

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    What kind of jack do you use when you jack up using the frame? I've never found one tall enough, and strong enough, without breaking the bank.
    A regular bottle jack with lots of 2X12's under it. I've never like doing this because it feels very unstable to me, and it just seems like putting to much stress on a flimsy frame.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JMO of course, but lifting one side of a trailer at just one point seems like a really bad idea.
    Howard and Peggy

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have only ever jacked her up per the users manual using the 2x12 stack and bottle jack method. Doesn’t feel quite right but Works OK. The one time I had real suspension work to do I jacked her up behind the spring hanger, as usual, and put jack stands under the frame both in front of the front hanger and behind the rear hanger. When I let the trailer down gently, the front jack stand took most all of the load, the rear jack stand was just barely snug. At this point, I was glad I had the 6 ton jack stands.

After removing the wheels, I slid them under the frame next to the jack stands and piled more 2x12 squares on top of the wheels, up to the frame. Then I crawled underneath to do the work. By the way, this 2x12 lumber approach is not cheap, I think a 2x12x10 is around $40.

I did all this indoors on a fairly flat concrete floor. With the slides in and all doors and windows closed.

If I ever have to jack it up at a gravel or dirt camp site I would be very careful with plenty of 2x12 squares and chocking and chocking. Maybe even hitch it up to the truck first.

My travel kit does indeed include a pile of 2x12 squares and the jack stands and the chocks and spare bearings and wet bolts. Which I haul all over the country and never use. So far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast