User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water Heater - On or Off?

We are camp hosting for the summer, so we will be stationary in the same site with full hookups for the next 16 weeks. We heat our water almost exclusively with electricity (the standard Atwood 6 gallon gas/electric - very rarely use gas and electric together for high demand situations). Is it better to leave it turned on electric at all times or turn it on and off as needed? For example, we turn it on late in the day to do the dinner dishes and showers, off when retiring for the night, on again in the morning to clean up after breakfast, and then off until dinner time. Of course, it is always turned off when we leave the trailer for the day, as is the water source. One thing that concerns me is the additional pressure in the plumbing from the heated water due to the expansion of the air gap in the top of the water heater tank. When a faucet is first opened after the water heats up it comes out very forcefully for a second or so. So, is there additional wear and tear on the water heater either way?
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I leave mine on gas and electric for the full duration of our stay, that way I know it will be hot when I need it and by having the water heater on gas and electric it is the fastest recovery when demand is high.
    Dan, Marcia, Emilee, Tanner, Zac
    2020 Chevy 3500 HD Crew 6.6L Duramax
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMike View Post
    We are camp hosting for the summer, so we will be stationary in the same site with full hookups for the next 16 weeks. We heat our water almost exclusively with electricity (the standard Atwood 6 gallon gas/electric - very rarely use gas and electric together for high demand situations). Is it better to leave it turned on electric at all times or turn it on and off as needed? For example, we turn it on late in the day to do the dinner dishes and showers, off when retiring for the night, on again in the morning to clean up after breakfast, and then off until dinner time. Of course, it is always turned off when we leave the trailer for the day, as is the water source. One thing that concerns me is the additional pressure in the plumbing from the heated water due to the expansion of the air gap in the top of the water heater tank. When a faucet is first opened after the water heats up it comes out very forcefully for a second or so. So, is there additional wear and tear on the water heater either way?
    Do you turn off the WH in your house? A RV WH is just a smaller version of the one in your house.

FWIW I boondock often for long periods. I turn my WH on when setting up, and of when we leave. When I want HW, I want it now, just like at home.

I have read of people thinking they are saving money by turning ot off all the time. From what I can tell, the difference if any is slight. Once the water is hot, it takes very little run time to keep it hot. Vs. having to heat it from cold while waiting for it.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When boondocking and only have propane, will only turn it on about 20 minutes before I will use it, then turn off. On electric, stays on all the time.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As to the pressure issue, once the water is hot, it will not continue to build pressure. The first time you open the valve, you relieve the excess pressure. It should not continue to build after that. I would think that it could build, over and over, if you continue to turn it off and then on again. Each time you turn it on, you are probably building the pressure. It would seem that, in the long run, that would be harder on the system and you might be more likely to see a leak, eventually. Not a plumber, just my thoughts.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone, for your suggestions and opinions.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on the turn it on when we arrive and off when we leave whether it's gas or electric on FHU.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE