User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4950 miles in and learned a few things

Overall, a great trip NH-SD-NC-NH. Really over-provisioned food - probably have enough for the second SD trip later this year. I CAT scaled full up before leaving and again empty (full fuel and 1/3 water still) just before we got home.

TV alone - Steer 5480 Drive 3440
    Weights going out - Steer 5480 Drive 6640 Trailer 11720 (note 8K axles and 18,000 GVWR)
    Weights coming back - Steer 5420 Drive 6540 Trailer 11400

Was impressed with the ability to get in and out of tight sites even with the long bed turning radius. The 310 followed very nicely.

I dumped at last stop and left the slinky connected and gate valves open when raising the nose - what a rush from all the tanks that were just dribbling when level. I estimate I was carrying an extra 150-200 lbs of black and gray water that just wouldn't dump until I raised the nose.

32 gal fuel tank gave me sweaty palms twice when scheduled fuel stops were no longer where they were supposed to be - took over 28 gal which is far more than I had planned for. Also, glad I had disc brakes on 3 occasions!

Trip went very well except for B&W OEM ball which has large gouge marks on the top and is loose in the receiver, screws snapping or pulling out in the interior and exterior (4 locations), lost set of keys, and one shade that started to disintegrate and wrap around itself. Other than trim mostly, everything worked and we had no leaks (knock on wood).

The mattress was far more comfortable than we anticipated but after nearly 30 nights, will probably add a topper.

The Garmin also doesn't recognize routes with low hanging trees
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a great time! We only have a 26 gallon tank in our truck. I added an extra 36 gallon tank in the bed as “insurance” against getting into an area where finding a fuel station might be challenging.
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great report.

I remember going to Big Bend with our gasser Nissan. The dash said 7 miles range left when we pulled in to Marathon TX from Del Rio. Short legs. Our Ram is a big improvement other than these wonderful fuel prices bestowed upon us.

Don’t worry, the mattress will not be friendly for long. We did about 150 nights and gave ours a funeral. Went to a mattress maker in Houston to have a custom unit made. $500 and it is a great sleep.

Thanks again for the report.
    Randy and Kris

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    Sounds like a great time! We only have a 26 gallon tank in our truck. I added an extra 36 gallon tank in the bed as “insurance” against getting into an area where finding a fuel station might be challenging.
    I've already talked with the selling RAM dealer. They are recalling the CP4 HPFP and if they find any traces of metal filings, they have to replace the tank and I asked if they would put in the 51 gal optional tank that was offered in my year. Tentative yes. If not, I'm going to put in a bigger tank or an aux tank. Did not like that feeling at all.
    Robin & John
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    Great report.

I remember going to Big Bend with our gasser Nissan. The dash said 7 miles range left when we pulled in to Marathon TX from Del Rio. Short legs. Our Ram is a big improvement other than these wonderful fuel prices bestowed upon us.

Don’t worry, the mattress will not be friendly for long. We did about 150 nights and gave ours a funeral. Went to a mattress maker in Houston to have a custom unit made. $500 and it is a great sleep.

Thanks again for the report.
    Going to start with a topper and see how that goes. Bigger or aux fuel tank coming.

I'd like to say that the steer axle weight drop of 60 lbs was the DW and I losing some extra lbs - Not!
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Overall, a great trip NH-SD-NC-NH. Really over-provisioned food - probably have enough for the second SD trip later this year. I CAT scaled full up before leaving and again empty (full fuel and 1/3 water still) just before we got home..
    Often we chuckle as we estimate the number of days (or weeks) before the next WalMart. The DW likes to "stock-up"; I just say there will be other places to shop - no need to "stock-up" to max....

I dumped at last stop and left the slinky connected and gate valves open when raising the nose - what a rush from all the tanks that were just dribbling when level. I estimate I was carrying an extra 150-200 lbs of black and gray water that just wouldn't dump until I raised the nose.
    Same here - the nose has to go up to get the black and main gray to drain well. Lots of 'trickle time' needed too unfortunately.

32 gal fuel tank gave me sweaty palms twice when scheduled fuel stops were no longer where they were supposed to be - took over 28 gal which is far more than I had planned for.
    Thus the reason for my 37 gallong RDS Aux tank (with pump). I'll be moving it to my new long bed too even tho it will have a 48 gallon tank.

...glad I had disc brakes on 3 occasions!...
    gota luv those brakes...!

Trip went very well except for B&W OEM ball which has large gouge marks on the top and is loose in the receiver,......
    Not glad to hear about that. I have that ball and plan to use it and a Reese gooseneck on the new truck.... Do you grease it?

The Garmin also doesn't recognize routes with low hanging trees
    Low TREES!!!!! So many towns and campground owners just don't understand!
    Safe travels.....
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Safe travels.....
    Larry,
    Trip went very well except for B&W OEM ball which has large gouge marks on the top and is loose in the receiver,......
    Not glad to hear about that. I have that ball and plan to use it and a Reese gooseneck on the new truck.... Do you grease it?
    Yes - started with white Lithium but was not happy with how it was pressured off and wasn't sure whether the start/stop clanking noise was ball/hitch or ball/puck source so I switched to red lithium wheel bearing grease that I was using to try to take up some of movement in the puck. Also, Reese paints the inside of the receiver black like the rest of the pin box. Kept finding black strings in the white lube when we disconnected. Turned out to be the paint rubbing off where the ball contacted.

I just got off the phone with Reese and have sent below pictures and video to B&W - waiting for their response but at this point, I'm not really happy with the B&W fitment. Pics below.

Side note, I had to add air to the Goosebox bladder 3 times as I couldn't see the bar through the window at fuel stops. Reese tech support told me that a hard bump can cause the pressure release valve to pop of and let some air out. We hit a lot of construction roads especially in MO, IA, IL, and TN so that doesn't surprise me. But I now check the window at each fuel stop. Given the roads in PA, I was really surprised that the bar was centered when we got home.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ball wear.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	41203

Name:	hitch wear.jpg 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	41204
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Larry,
    Yes - started with white Lithium but was not happy with how it was pressured off and wasn't sure whether the start/stop clanking noise was ball/hitch or ball/puck source so I switched to red lithium wheel bearing grease that I was using to try to take up some of movement in the puck. Also, Reese paints the inside of the receiver black like the rest of the pin box. Kept finding black strings in the white lube when we disconnected. Turned out to be the paint rubbing off where the ball contacted.

I just got off the phone with Reese and have sent below pictures and video to B&W - waiting for their response but at this point, I'm not really happy with the B&W fitment. Pics below.

Side note, I had to add air to the Goosebox bladder 3 times as I couldn't see the bar through the window at fuel stops. Reese tech support told me that a hard bump can cause the pressure release valve to pop of and let some air out. We hit a lot of construction roads especially in MO, IA, IL, and TN so that doesn't surprise me. But I now check the window at each fuel stop. Given the roads in PA, I was really surprised that the bar was centered when we got home.

Name:	ball wear.jpg 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	41203

Name:	hitch wear.jpg 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	41204
    Thanks, John. Let us know what B&W and Reese say about the gouging. I guess I'll plan to grease mine.

I came across this video on YouTube for what one person did for maintaining air pressure in his hitch. It seems pretty sophisticated so not sure about all that. It was kind of clever that he used a TPMS sensor to monitor his air pressure; I suppose one on the hitch could be pretty handy to keep tabs on the air bag while underway.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Thanks, John. Let us know what B&W and Reese say about the gouging. I guess I'll plan to grease mine.

I came across this video on YouTube for what one person did for maintaining air pressure in his hitch. It seems pretty sophisticated so not sure about all that. It was kind of clever that he used a TPMS sensor to monitor his air pressure; I suppose one on the hitch could be pretty handy to keep tabs on the air bag while underway.
    Just got a call from B&W and they are replacing the ball after looking at the pics and video I sent. Reese recommends white lithium, B&W regular automotive grease. I'm going to stick with the red lithium I think. Slightly better staying power. Reese said they didn't know the hardness specs of the B&W but didn't see any damage on the Goosebox and it is a casting so it is not smooth.

Interesting to put a TPMS sensor on it. Partially my bad as I couldn't see the marker in the sight when stopped in line for fuel in the truck lanes initially and I assumed I wasn't level. After 3 fuel stops and a level site, I checked the pressure and it was about 33PSI so it was only about 4PSI low - 37.5 kept it in the middle of the sight so that last 5lbs made a big difference in the sight. It stayed there from NC all the way back.
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good info, thanks!
    Re Google Maps, I use RV Trip planner and run the route through there first so I know any variances, and then either make mental note or write them down for the DW aka Navigator to have, and then run Google maps for driving. I have Android auto in the Truck, and for some reason not all apps on the phone show on the truck screen, hence why I use Google to drive & RV Trip Planner to scout the route first - annoying but its a minor issue. I could run that on just the phone, but I prefer to see the map on the display. Hasn't caused an issue yet, routes are usually only a little different - different exit, for example, coming/going from the CGs.
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast