User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

General question about vent covers

Just finally got around to installing the vent covers for my ceiling fans and was curious to know how many rv'ers have them? Also, wondering if you leave the vents open during the summer months to let some of the heat escape when your rig is not in use. And, did the added height of the vent covers stop you from putting the covers on.
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing to think about is weather in your area, and if your RV is covered when not in use. Leaving the vents open can lead to flooding inside from rainstorms, wasps nests, massive amount of dirt being let inside from wind bringing it in, wind storms ruining the vent covers, or the roof, etc.

As a fulltimer I ensure my vent covers are closed when there is bad weather because I've experienced waking up in the morning with a thick layer of sand dunes on my toilet room floor (and toilet, and shower in my old 5th wheel) because I left the vent lid open because I thought having the big cover would prevent damage to the vent lid itself .. I hadn't considered the dirt coming in from the wind.. but I live in the desert southwest. It was my first year fulltiming.

If your RV is covered and you don't tend to get lots of rain or dust/wind storms I'd say you're probably ok leaving the vents open.

2018 Grand Design Imagine 2250RK
    2018 Imagine 2250RK: Floorplan Pic
    Theater dinette instead of standard dinette.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lorend View Post
    Just finally got around to installing the vent covers for my ceiling fans and was curious to know how many rv'ers have them? Also, wondering if you leave the vents open during the summer months to let some of the heat escape when your rig is not in use. And, did the added height of the vent covers stop you from putting the covers on.
    I leave my vents open all the time, the vent covers work well and I don't have any issues. I don't think the vent covers are any higher than the A/C on my trailer so it is not an issue.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I leave them open year round in the Great Lakes region. My trailer isn’t covered and I’ve never had problems with rain or blowing snow coming in. I think it’s best to allow the trailer to have ventilation all the time.
    2022 Reflection 150 278BH
    2023 Silverado 2500HD Gas
    “If you like how it tows, don’t change anything.”

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshinenv View Post
    One thing to think about is weather in your area, and if your RV is covered when not in use. Leaving the vents open can lead to flooding inside from rainstorms, wasps nests, massive amount of dirt being let inside from wind bringing it in, wind storms ruining the vent covers, or the roof, etc.

As a fulltimer I ensure my vent covers are closed when there is bad weather because I've experienced waking up in the morning with a thick layer of sand dunes on my toilet room floor (and toilet, and shower in my old 5th wheel) because I left the vent lid open because I thought having the big cover would prevent damage to the vent lid itself .. I hadn't considered the dirt coming in from the wind.. but I live in the desert southwest. It was my first year fulltiming.

If your RV is covered and you don't tend to get lots of rain or dust/wind storms I'd say you're probably ok leaving the vents open.

2018 Grand Design Imagine 2250RK
    Thanks for that insight on the blowing debris. It's not something I had even been thinking about. I don't think that will be an issue for me. Our 5th wheel is under a carport and I did put some thought into the location of the carport and the front of the rv faces into the direction that most of our wind comes from. Now to give some thoughts to the bugs.
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have covers on all three of the vents on our trailer. I installed them the first week we owned it. We generally keep them open unless it is very cold outside. As we live in the PNW, we are often camping in rain. We have had no issues with water in the trailer during storms. As we keep our trailer stored inside our shop building when not in use, we also have had no issues during down times. The vent covers we have are just slightly higher than the low profile AC unit.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just installed a vent cover on the bathroom fan and have one on order for the living room fan. Probably adds about 3 or 4 inches over existing elements to our height. I will leave them open in the summer, but not in the winter (blowing snow).
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We installed Maxxair vent covers on our 2800bh. In general, we leave our vents open all time with some consideration when we are running heat or A/C. We do close them when traveling to avoid road dust. A very worthwhile upgrade.
    Norb
    Upstate NY
    2020 Imagine 2800BH
    2013 Keystone Bullet 23BHS
    2015 Sportcraft AR-ONE 25BH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my 50plus years of camping, I have never had an RV without vent covers. Lets me leave them open even when it's raining.
    Terry and Elizabeth
    2020 Reflection 260RD Using Anderson Hitch
    2020 F350 SuperDuty Diesel Crew Dually Long Bed

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We leave ours open all the time with no issues

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast