Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Converter

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Converter

Hello, new to Grand design. I have a 2015 Reflection 27RL. I need to replace the converter. I have removed the back panel in the cargo area where the converter is located. My question is where is it plugged in at? The cord goes through the wall. I Am assuming that the outlet for it is behind the breaker/fuse unit. I would like to know for sure so I am not taking a lot apart to locate. If anyone has ideas, thoughts it would be greatly appreciated... Thanks in advance.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, the converter should be hardwired to its own circuit breaker. You should see one of the breaker marked for it. No guess work involved!
    Hope this helped,
    Brian

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarineSniper26 View Post
    Hello, new to Grand design. I have a 2015 Reflection 27RL. I need to replace the converter. I have removed the back panel in the cargo area where the converter is located. My question is where is it plugged in at? The cord goes through the wall. I Am assuming that the outlet for it is behind the breaker/fuse unit. I would like to know for sure so I am not taking a lot apart to locate. If anyone has ideas, thoughts it would be greatly appreciated... Thanks in advance.
    I have no idea if they are all wired the same or not, but on my Momentum, there is a 120VAC receptacle on the back of the breaker panel and it has it's own breaker for it. That is where my converter/charger is plugged into. I just replaced my C/C a few weeks ago and that is where mine was. Hope this helps.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually no, I removed the circuit breaker/fuse panel thinking it was behind it. It turns out the outlet is on the back of that panel. It is a standard plug in. However yes, the main from the outlet does go to the breaker. Thanks for the reply

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, so is mine... thanks

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually no, I removed the circuit breaker/fuse panel thinking it was behind it. It turns out the outlet is on the back of that panel. It is a standard plug in. However yes, the main from the outlet does go to the breaker. Thanks for the reply
    I'm not sure who you are responding to, since you didn't quote the response you are referring to. But it sounds like you found exactly what I described in my first post...the receptacle is on the back of the breaker panel, just as mine was.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    I'm not sure who you are responding to, since you didn't quote the response you are referring to. But it sounds like you found exactly what I described in my first post...the receptacle is on the back of the breaker panel, just as mine was.

Yes, I was replying to you. Just not that one. Mine is set-up as yours. The receptacle is on the back of the breaker panel. My new converter arrives tomorrow. Any thoughts on does and don'ts when I install the new one?

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I was replying to you. Just not that one. Mine is set-up as yours. The receptacle is on the back of the breaker panel. My new converter arrives tomorrow. Any thoughts on does and don'ts when I install the new one?
    It should be a pretty straight-forward swap, especially if it is the same type of C/C. In other words, a FLA charger for a FLA charger...vs. switching to something for LiFePO batteries. So when you disconnect the 12V pos and 12V neg leads from the old charger, make sure you know which is which....hopefully one is RED and one is Black. Check the exposed wire and make sure there is no corrosion or anything on the wire....you want the copper to be shiny. Use some fine grit emery cloth if needed to brighten it up if it is dull instead of shiny. If you need to cut off the ends of the wire and strip insulation back for the new connection, the same rules apply, make sure the copper is shiny. Pay attention to the instructions that come with the new one and if they list a tightness/torque requirement for tightening the new connectors down, torque them to that spec if you have a torque wrench that will be within the range/settings for it. Make sure the breaker is turned off before you plug the new one in and then power it up and check voltage. That's about it and hopefully you can reassemble everything and get back to normal.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Yes, I was replying to you just not to that post... but anyway, yes, my receptacle is on the back of my breaker panel. As far as wiring mine is not red = positive and black = negative but that shouldn't be a problem. The part that sucks is just climbing in the cargo compartment to swap them out. I do have another question if you know. I know many of the appliances require the converter to function properly. Does the air conditioner have a similar DC controller to work?

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I was replying to you just not to that post... but anyway, yes, my receptacle is on the back of my breaker panel. As far as wiring mine is not red = positive and black = negative but that shouldn't be a problem. The part that sucks is just climbing in the cargo compartment to swap them out. I do have another question if you know. I know many of the appliances require the converter to function properly. Does the air conditioner have a similar DC controller to work?
    Anything that is operated from 12VDC can be fed from the C/C or the battery itself. So in most trailers, the stuff that needs 12VDC includes....water heater control board, refrigerator control, the Air Cond units run on 120VAC, but the thermostats are 12VDC, Furnace...propane and 12VDC, as well as the other stuff like lighting, awnings, slides, etc. So the A/C will not operate with either the battery supplying power to it, or the C/C.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually