User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winter Snow Weight

This year during our opening I ran the automated Levit leveling system and the 36ft Solitude went up about 6 inches. When I looked in front area, there was an overflow of hydraulic oil. We are stationary canpers, RV never moves.

My question, should I block RV due to the excessive weight of snow over winter. I am afraid Hydraulic may have too much stress due to weight.

Thanks

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raftsman View Post
    This year during our opening I ran the automated Levit leveling system and the 36ft Solitude went up about 6 inches. When I looked in front area, there was an overflow of hydraulic oil. We are stationary canpers, RV never moves.

My question, should I block RV due to the excessive weight of snow over winter. I am afraid Hydraulic may have too much stress due to weight.

Thanks
    First of all if the trailer went up the level of the hydraulic fluid would go down not up. Second, snow load will not over stress the hydraulic system, they are designed to handle WAY more weight than that.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, when I said it went up, I meant the trailer had gone down 6 inches. It went up to level it.

And I am not sure why is leaks hydraulic fluid. Every year, I must clean up a mess in spring. And the tank is 5/8 full. It doesn’t overflow. I may have a seal that leaks. It doesn’t do it all summer.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iif it's leaking..and you are stationary...the location of the leak shouldn't be too hard to find.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raftsman View Post
    We are stationary canpers, RV never moves.
    Block it, skirt it, build a shed like roof over it. Blocking it makes it stable. Skirting it hides the blocks. Putting a roof over it alleviates the concern for snow weight and protects it from the sun. Not ever moving it protects it from the effects of shaking it up on our rough highway system.

With those things done you have removed about 95% of all the issues I have ever had with and RV.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What to do with solar if you build a shed over RV.

Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    Block it, skirt it, build a shed like roof over it. Blocking it makes it stable. Skirting it hides the blocks. Putting a roof over it alleviates the concern for snow weight and protects it from the sun. Not ever moving it protects it from the effects of shaking it up on our rough highway system.

With those things done you have removed about 95% of all the issues I have ever had with and RV.

Just bought a Solitude that comes with a solar panel. Can they be moved on top of shed like roof?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on where you are, snow loads can get very heavy, I would put blocks under it and I would check it and clear the snow if it gets to more than knee deep.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost