User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went with a Gen-Y Gooseneck hitch..... I love it. When I am not towing, I have the whole bed to use as I wish.

-B
    Fulltime RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon JKU - Harley FLTRU
    2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS
    Also considering a Polaris General XP 1000 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT Limited

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using the Curt A25 and happy with it so far.
    2021 Momentum 395MS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the 399. I pull mine using the Andersen Ultimate hitch and love the articulation given the ball and socket design. It's light, strong and can be removed in a snap. Something you ought to consider.

P.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreammakers View Post
    I'm a newbie. My wife retired in March. We are selling our house and becoming RV full-timers. I just got my 6 wks notice that our 399TH rolled out and is at the paint shop. I'm also waiting to hear on our 2022 Ram 3500 6.7L I-6 Turbo Diesel High Output dually 4x4 long bed.

What fifth wheel hitch would be recommended for the 399TH?

v/r
    Dreammakers
    We have the B&W 25K hitch and are very happy with it. The hitch is very forgiving when connecting and disconnecting on uneven ground. The hitch head and base are manageable weights when you want to remove the hitch from the truck bed.
    Bret King
    2021 GMC 3500 Denali HD 4x4 crew cab, DRW, 6.6L Duramax/10 speed Allison
    2020 Solitude 310-GK (#19), Platinum paint scheme, B&W Companion 25K hitch
    Maine

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    A lot of folks, myself included, really like the quality and sturdiness of the B&W Companion 25,000 lb hitch. I never even considered the 20K version because your trailer, like mine, is rated to 20K GVWR. It seems to me that the 20K hitch would be operating right at the very edge of it's limits, where the 25K hitch offers up some extra capacity and is not on the edge of it's rating.

+1 for the Companion
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    B&w has been super solid hitch. Works very well and very well built. I have the ram puck system and it works. It is heavy and has a large foot print but the eight foot bed leaves plenty of space.
    US Air Force Retired
    Mike and Jean Mcloud Oklahoma
    2021 Ram Tradesman 3500 CCLB 4x4 Srw 6.4HEMI
    2021 Reflection 337 RLS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a no-brainer... B&W all the way. You will not be sorry. I don't know what type of mounting system you have, but our Turnover Ball with the Companion hitch on our 2006 F250 Super Duty long-bed with Dually conversion makes absolutely no noise while pulling. The double-jaw pin lock is very secure. When unhooking, I raise the front of our Solitude until I see the pin box just break contact with the hitch plate. Only then can I release the lock, open the jaws and drive away. We pull from Michigan and back every Winter with 3 vacation trips during the summer. We have never second-guessed our decision on the B&W almost 10 years ago. I wish I was getting paid for all of this hype, but I'm not... Its all true!
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not really

Quote Originally Posted by Kings7248 View Post
    We have the B&W 25K hitch and are very happy with it. The hitch is very forgiving when connecting and disconnecting on uneven ground. The hitch head and base are manageable weights when you want to remove the hitch from the truck bed.
    Just the head of the 26K weighs in at 70 lbs the base is a little more not what anyone of age would call manageable bent over to pick it up, but then what do you do with it. Trying to pick it up and put it back in the bed from the floor would be a real stretch for older people like this fella.
    Might want to look into one of the hitches that weigh considerably less and are really "Manageable" from a weight perspective, Andersen Ultimate, Pullrite 2600 at maybe 40 lbs total. The Gen Y hitch, and the Resse Goose box for no hitch to remove at all just the weight of the ball in the bed of the truck if you want truly "Manageable"
    I think the first time you can`t get one of the plate hitches unhooked when trying to set up in the rain will convince you that you made a mistake. The old ways are really hard to get past but they will die off with the owners in time.
    Last edited by bshgto; 06-29-2022 at 12:03 PM.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm very much a dyed-in-the-wool B&W fanboy, but the base of the hitch for a Ram puck system probably weighs north of 200 lbs. Unless you're the Hulk you won't be removing it by yourself without mechanical help.

That being said, I wouldn't pull with anything else. The B&W hitches faultlessly, latches easily, and pulls effortlessly. I bought it because I use my truck for hauling my 5th wheel. No compromises.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
    Just the head of the 26K weighs in at 70 lbs the base is a little more not what anyone of age would call manageable bent over to pick it up, but then what do you do with it. Trying to pick it up and put it back in the bed from the floor would be a real stretch for older people like this fella.
    Might want to look into one of the hitches that weigh considerably less and are really "Manageable" from a weight perspective, Andersen Ultimate, Pullrite 2600 at maybe 40 lbs total. The Gen Y hitch, and the Resse Goose box for no hitch to remove at all just the weight of the ball in the bed of the truck if you want truly "Manageable"
    I think the first time you can`t get one of the plate hitches unhooked when trying to set up in the rain will convince you that you made a mistake. The old ways are really hard to get past but they will die off with the owners in time.
    I have the 25K OEM companion and i have a hydraulic lift table which makes things a snap. Photo is of me assembling the hitch.

As for sliding the hitch in the bed Harbor Freight make a few dolly carts. Just roll into position and tip off. https://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-...lly-63098.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0863s.jpg  
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast