User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suggested Fifth Wheel Hitch for 399TH on 2022 Ram 3500 8 Foot Bed with OEM Prep Pkg

I'm a newbie. My wife retired in March. We are selling our house and becoming RV full-timers. I just got my 6 wks notice that our 399TH rolled out and is at the paint shop. I'm also waiting to hear on our 2022 Ram 3500 6.7L I-6 Turbo Diesel High Output dually 4x4 long bed.

What fifth wheel hitch would be recommended for the 399TH?

v/r
    Dreammakers
    Newbie-2022 395MSR

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of folks, myself included, really like the quality and sturdiness of the B&W Companion 25,000 lb hitch. I never even considered the 20K version because your trailer, like mine, is rated to 20K GVWR. It seems to me that the 20K hitch would be operating right at the very edge of it's limits, where the 25K hitch offers up some extra capacity and is not on the edge of it's rating.

2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outstanding. ty

BTW....I'm curious about what the brackets on each side attached to the topsides of the bed and the black plate under the middle of the toolbox are for and website ordered it from?
    Newbie-2022 395MSR

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreammakers View Post
    Outstanding. ty

BTW....I'm curious about what the brackets on each side attached to the topsides of the bed and the black plate under the middle of the toolbox are for and website ordered it from?
    The brackets on the side rails of the truck (there are actually four of them...two on each side) are "bicycle mounts". I obviously do not use them when towing the 5th wheel, but that is where the bikes go once we have set up camp and need to transport the bikes to a greenway or wherever we want to go ride.

The "plate" under the toolbox is the bottom part of an "L" shaped aux. fuel tank. The horizontal part of the tank is just the right height to allow the toolbox to sit on the top rails of the truckbed. Under that tank you can see a rubber mat that the tank is sitting on.

I ordered the B&W Companion 25K hitch from etrailer.com when I bought the Momentum in early 2019 and has been a great hitch for that heavy trailer. It's obviously the puck mount vs. a turnover ball type mount.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a picture of one of the bikes in the bike carrier. The bikes stand up right and the rubber straps go around the front fork and a downtube from the frame in the back. Very solid and convenient, as long as the bikes aren't to heavy to lift into the bed of the truck....

2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also have the B&W Companion puck-type hitch, but for a RAM. We had a B&W turnover ball Companion before this one. Cannot say enough good about the hitch. And made in Kansas, close to us here in western Missouri.

I got ours from an individual about 40 miles from us who had used it a half-dozen times or so. They run around $1200 and he sold it for $550, so I was thrilled. And I got $525 for our turn-over ball Companion. There are some good prices for used models, and with a B&W used is just as good as new.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Hensley BD5. It’s an air ride hitch. Two things…1) it’s pricey, and 2) it’s heavy (300lb),
    but I do like it. I’ve been surprised how much it moves up and down while towing. I’ve never towed with a fixed hitch, so I cant give a comparison. All I can say is that with the MorRyde pin box on the 310GK and the BD5 hitch, I don’t have any abrupt jolts in the truck.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreammakers View Post
    I'm a newbie. My wife retired in March. We are selling our house and becoming RV full-timers. I just got my 6 wks notice that our 399TH rolled out and is at the paint shop. I'm also waiting to hear on our 2022 Ram 3500 6.7L I-6 Turbo Diesel High Output dually 4x4 long bed.

What fifth wheel hitch would be recommended for the 399TH?

v/r
    Dreammakers
    Does your truck have the OEM puck system (5th wheel prep package)? If so I also recommend the B&W OEM 25K Companion. I got a great price from Parts Hawk... ask for any discounts that might be available. Also shop around as You might find a good used one.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use the Hensley Trailersaver TS3 and love it! It's is pricey and heavy but works great! We full time so the hitch never comes out.
    Former 2022 Solitude 310GKR w/8K axles & disc brakes, factory solar
    Formerly 2019 Reflection 230RL, 2019 Reflection 320MKS, and 2015 Outback Terrain 230TRS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have your same truck and have the B&W Companion 25k (RAM puck system) for my Momentum 381M-R. Couldn't be happier with the set up.
    2022 Momentum M-Class 381M-R
    2022 RAM 3500 DRW Cummins

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast