Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

then what do you do with it ?

Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    I have the 25K OEM companion and i have a hydraulic lift table which makes things a snap. Photo is of me assembling the hitch.

As for sliding the hitch in the bed Harbor Freight make a few dolly carts. Just roll into position and tip off. https://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-...lly-63098.html
    Like I said before "then what do you do with it" ? Now you have your boat anchor on a hydraulic table to be moved and stored where? then to put it back in most will use an engine crane where do you keep that and the hitch in the mean time. Most don`t have the room or want to over think the removal and storing of all that equipment just to get that much weight out of the truck so they can go for the once a year mulch run.
    The OP said he has sold his house and was going full time so he won`t have any place for all that equipment. Any of the ones I mentioned would fit the bill for HIS situation I use one of the light weight hitches to save weight and use the available weight savings for a 60 gallon in bed fuel transfer tank that will benefit any one towing around the country. All hitches are designed to do the same thing a 300 lb hitch dose nothing extra for you.
    Last edited by bshgto; 06-30-2022 at 07:21 AM.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
    ...All hitches are designed to do the same thing a 300 lb hitch dose nothing extra for you.
    Except maybe not fail. Never been an example of a B&W hitch folding/bending/failing. Full disclosure, one did release the trailer just before the trailer flipped the truck over too.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    A lot of folks, myself included, really like the quality and sturdiness of the B&W Companion 25,000 lb hitch. I never even considered the 20K version because your trailer, like mine, is rated to 20K GVWR. It seems to me that the 20K hitch would be operating right at the very edge of it's limits, where the 25K hitch offers up some extra capacity and is not on the edge of it's rating.

DITTO! My B&W hitch is the bomb. I have an engine hoist to lift it (Harbor Freight) to my tailgate, then I pick up the front and drag it into position, easy peasy. I’m 60 and 5’4”. I’ll be welding a fold away crane lift to go in my class 5 hitch, so I can take off the hitch when we arrive in campgrounds.
    Last edited by Ra&Ta350; 06-30-2022 at 07:58 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Except maybe not fail. Never been an example of a B&W hitch folding/bending/failing. Full disclosure, one did release the trailer just before the trailer flipped the truck over too.
    Sorry if I insulted you hitch but it will get over it. As for the folding bending failing no hitch is designed to withstand an accident, yes the answers to this is out there if you want to waste your time looking for it. The B& W has failed and more than once as all manufactured items will from time to time. It to is out there if your so inclined, but I know it doesn't fit into your narrative. Tell you hitch I`m sorry.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing to be sorry for when you're the best. Nothing wrong with being second...or third best, somebody has to be. And the Andersen failures were from very hard, basically panic stops, not accidents. I assume that's why the hitch has been redesigned, and reinforced a couple times over the years. The B&W is basically the same hitch from the one I bought 15 years ago, and have used since then. But I will let it go and not pursue the issue any more.

People should be aware of the pros and cons and make up their own minds. Mine basically never comes out of the truck, so its weight is of no concern, just its ability to do the job.
    Howard and Peggy

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I may actually store my B&W on the trailer. I would padlock it locked so someone did not inadvertently unlatch it. Then to install, back under it and get it close to just drop in place. Also when mine is broken down in two parts it is easy to manage. On my first install I slid it into place on a piece of cardboard - same for the head.

Also the only difference between the 25K and the 20K is the support arms. Rest of the hitch (base and head)is the same.

Now for the AUH hitch there are documented non accident failures. Just hard braking has collapsed a few with heavy trailers. It also takes up more room in the bed leaving less space for camping gear (several videos and threads on this downside out there) . I could not carry my extra fuel cans or generators (2 - EU2000i). This is even with a long bed too. Just do a good search and learn for yourself
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard of no failures with the Andersen in the last few years, not since the last redesign. I would consider it for a light-to-medium 5th wheel, something in the 10,000-14,000 lb. range, but not for anything heavier. But that's just me.
    Howard and Peggy

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here is a good link on AUH issues
    https://thecampingadvisor.com/anders...itch-problems/

posted 2020 https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?t...failures.3158/

Heavy trailer https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ch-falure.html

https://www.getawaycouple.com/why-we...-its-andersen/

Montana RV https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=83693

Just google "AUH failures" The above was on the first page.

Its up to you, but as a professional civil engineer I would not use one.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    " There are not that many reported experiences of one of their hitches being able to bend. There may have been one in the last couple of years. This is 1 out of the approx. 19,000+ ultimate hitches on the road today."

From the link posted. I like those odds personally.
    2021 Reflection 340RDS
    2022 Ram 3500 Big Horn/CCSB//4X4/SRW/HEMI/4:10
    2019 Imagine 2250RK~Sold

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123