User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    Ok, I can do more explaining. This setup I have works 100% at home. No issues at all. I actually set up a nano router (for the RV) to connect to the Hotspot so I could have certain IP addresses (this is needed for the app server to communicate with the database). So my configuration works great until I try to use the hotspot on my phone. I already know the phone hotspot is not great.

I am hoping that a true hotspot will solve these issues since it is more robust but I am not holding my breath.

Overall, this setup works great except when I am connected to the hotspot.
    That sounds like your cell phone provider is blocking port 443. Try ssh'ing to port 443?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kind of interesting. There are a lot of wildcards here. Are you using your phone or a carrier hotspot? Phones were not designed with data in mind (surprise). Carriers have been tightening up on IP range access as have CSPs. The number of firewalls between your phone and servers is likely much ~ 1. Recently found 6 Palo Altos between me and my destination CSP. None were config'ed the same and the company could not identify who owned one of them. Apple and Samsung have had issues with VPNs over IOS and android. A number of browser updates have bitten me getting to https lately (notably FF ESR and the latest Chromium Edge). My Horizon client on my Win10 laptop stopped connecting one day and I was forced to update client SW. If I start browsing on my 5G T-Mobile phone as a hotspot, it blocks internet activity (read browsing) yet it stays connected. Not so on my Verizon LTE phone as a hotspot yet.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you have a VM going through a laptop going through a nano router going through a hotspot. I'm surprised that works at all. Try setting the TTL of the VM to 68 and see how that behaves. This technically violates the TOU of tethering phone plans, but if it works, it shows the problem. I still don't think there's any way for the hotspot or a firewall in path to be blocking this flow unless it's cracking your VPN. That'd be bad.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uwskier View Post
    So you have a VM going through a laptop going through a nano router going through a hotspot. I'm surprised that works at all. Try setting the TTL of the VM to 68 and see how that behaves. This technically violates the TOU of tethering phone plans, but if it works, it shows the problem. I still don't think there's any way for the hotspot or a firewall in path to be blocking this flow unless it's cracking your VPN. That'd be bad.
    Good point. I seemed to have ignored the VPN part, unless the VPN is only allowing intranet traffic through it and internet traffic through the ISP (split tunnel).

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We to use a hotspot on our phone when camping. And my wife VPNs all day week long to her work through it. Im sure all of her servers are HTTPS because of where she works as an IT Software Engineer reading sensitive HIPAA data (I too used to work there as an IT Software Engineer).

She has no issue using our VZ Hotspot to access any of her servers. One caveat though, she VPNs to a work related Data Center, and once there she networks to each server she requires. Not sure if this is your case but it may have something to do with it as well.

However, I will note that some HTTPS sites (financial institutions, government, INS, etc) do not like VPN's at all when trying to gain access to their URL/servers. VPNs apparently will block some identifying data that they require to access their webpage.
    Last edited by trailrydr; 06-16-2022 at 07:14 PM.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    We to use a hotspot on our phone when camping. And my wife VPNs all day week long to her work through it. Im sure all of her servers are HTTPS because of where she works as an IT Software Engineer reading sensitive HIPAA data (I too used to work there as an IT Software Engineer).

She has no issue using our VZ Hotspot to access any of her servers. One caveat though, she VPNs to a work related Data Center, and once there she networks to each server she requires. Not sure if this is your case but it may have something to do with it as well.

However, I will note that some HTTPS sites (financial institutions, government, INS, etc) do not like VPN's at all when trying to gain access to their URL/servers. VPNs apparently will block some identifying data that they require to access their webpage.
    I am going to get a real hotspot today and see how it goes. I really think it is the phone.

To answer everyone's questions about how this even works. It does, flawlessly and has been for many years. That is why it confuses me as to why it just doesn't work correctly when it is paired with the phone.

Here is another fun one. The main laptop has zero connectivity if the CentOS VM is not running. That is because it uses it as a proxy. Always thought that was funny.

I will keep you all informed as to what happens when I get the new hotspot. I assume the MiFi M2000 is not a bad hotspot?
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going to get a real hotspot today and see how it goes. I really think it is the phone.

To answer everyone's questions about how this even works. It does, flawlessly and has been for many years. That is why it confuses me as to why it just doesn't work correctly when it is paired with the phone.

Here is another fun one. The main laptop has zero connectivity if the CentOS VM is not running. That is because it uses it as a proxy. Always thought that was funny.

I will keep you all informed as to what happens when I get the new hotspot. I assume the MiFi M2000 is not a bad hotspot?
    Something tells me that the proxy might be blocking port 443? I dunno, without getting hands on the setup, it's a bit difficult to do a deep dive into it.

Definitely let us know if the new hotspot works. If it doesn't, you are probably looking at something within the configuration itself.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Something tells me that the proxy might be blocking port 443? I dunno, without getting hands on the setup, it's a bit difficult to do a deep dive into it.

Definitely let us know if the new hotspot works. If it doesn't, you are probably looking at something within the configuration itself.

I wanted to go Starlink but it is not available in our area. Which is very confusing because last I checked, satellites don't avoid certain areas.

But chances are I need Internet and not Hotspot due to the complexity of my configuration.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted to go Starlink but it is not available in our area. Which is very confusing because last I checked, satellites don't avoid certain areas.

But chances are I need Internet and not Hotspot due to the complexity of my configuration.
    Sign up for the starlink RV package it's available everywhere for $135 a month.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After reading through this thread, I can honestly and unequivocally say I didn't understand anything I just read...... and I hope I never have to.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast