User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    What? You mean you didn't have to flip switches to load the registers first to move the paper tape to move the mag tapes and then get an IPL going? whew... old memories...

One of my sons is still living in the VM green screen world from time-to-time for banking systems (the ones behind the scenes or should I say behind the GUIs). He says not many people want to do it and I tell him it's a good skill to keep.
    LOL... back then, I thought when the removable disk packs came out that was COOL!

Of course the operators were happy when they came out with the 8" floppies and they no longer had to trim back the edges of tape reels so that they could feed them thru the tape drives.

Those where the days my friend, (at times) I thought they would never end..... so now all of us DP/IT folks are blind from CRTs.... but, we certainly were well paid!

LOL!
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    Ok, time to nerd out and I hope someone can assist.

My setup. Laptop running two VMs. One is my development environment, the other is an Oracle database. The development environment uses a VPN to connect to Linode servers that contains our ticketing system, test Oracle database, etc.

Now for the issue. I have my phone as a hotspot carrier doesn't matter, it is a hotspot. I can ping, ssh and sftp the servers. But I cannot browse to them. Get more nerdy here I can "curl" to the http side but I get no response if I do the https side.

It looks like a hotspot is out of the question or I am missing something. Congratulations if you made it to the end. I am hoping there are other nerds like me out there.
    Thought: Are you ssh/sftp/curl via domain name or IP? Can you browse to your server by IP, starting to point at DNS issues?
    Bret King
    2021 GMC 3500 Denali HD 4x4 crew cab, DRW, 6.6L Duramax/10 speed Allison
    2020 Solitude 310-GK (#19), Platinum paint scheme, B&W Companion 25K hitch
    Maine

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    It has to be the port that is getting blocked. This is a phone hotspot so it is not that robust. Because I can do everything (ssh, sftp, etc) i just can't do https
    I do this quite often on my iPhone 12 Pro serving a hotspot to my tplink travel router. Or directly to my Mac. It works fine for both. Has to be something with your phone or cellular provider I would think. AT&T is my provider.
    Last edited by Imagineer; 06-22-2022 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Addition

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer View Post
    I do this quite often on my iPhone 12 Pro serving a hotspot to my tplink travel router. Or directly to my Mac. It works fine for both. Has to be something with your phone or cellular provider I would think. AT&T is my provider.
    It's not his provider. He was using T-Mobile and Verizon. I have both and have never had any issue.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    It's not his provider. He was using T-Mobile and Verizon. I have both and have never had any issue.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Agree - white/black port/IP lists on the server or whatever firewall(s) is/are in front. Set by policy. Kept thousands from getting to AWS workspaces until they moved into a commercial building with commercial connectivity.

Despite the number one priority program, took over a YEAR to resolve.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed. Something on one end of the tunnel or the other is blocking this. It's not the provider. They can't discern SSH from HTTPS from RDP if a VPN is in use.

OP, have you considered an LTE or 5G router? Those can be made to work on most networks by monkeying with the IMEI. Not permitted by the ToU but I know a guy (not me, seriously) who does this for his van and it works great.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree. Check the hotspot firewall is culprit. See if you can turn it off and test, then figure out which ports are being blocked.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a very similar setup, laptop with VM for dev environment. All of our infrastructure is hosted and the database is restricted to trusted IP access. I found that Hotspot access (phone or actual Hotspot device does not matter) uses a sort of rolling IP address assignment. This is turn makes getting your devices ( phone, laptop or VMs) true IP address more challenging because windows commands like ipconfig and websites like https://whatismyipaddress.com/ do not tell you the IP address that represents your device.

Here's what I found, run this command from either a command prompt or PowerShell as administrator. Register this IP address as your trusted/whitelisted IP address. This has to be done every time you connect to the Hotspot.

nslookup myip.opendns.com resolver1.opendns.com

Not sure if this is your issue but thought it would be worth sharing since I spent several days figuring this out.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345