User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I the only one with this issue?

Ok, time to nerd out and I hope someone can assist.

My setup. Laptop running two VMs. One is my development environment, the other is an Oracle database. The development environment uses a VPN to connect to Linode servers that contains our ticketing system, test Oracle database, etc.

Now for the issue. I have my phone as a hotspot carrier doesn't matter, it is a hotspot. I can ping, ssh and sftp the servers. But I cannot browse to them. Get more nerdy here I can "curl" to the http side but I get no response if I do the https side.

It looks like a hotspot is out of the question or I am missing something. Congratulations if you made it to the end. I am hoping there are other nerds like me out there.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post

My setup. Laptop running two VMs. One is my development environment, the other is an Oracle database. The development environment uses a VPN to connect to Linode servers that contains our ticketing system, test Oracle database, etc.

Now for the issue. I have my phone as a hotspot carrier doesn't matter, it is a hotspot. I can ping, ssh and sftp the servers. But I cannot browse to them. Get more nerdy here I can "curl" to the http side but I get no response if I do the https side.

It looks like a hotspot is out of the question or I am missing something. Congratulations if you made it to the end. I am hoping there are other nerds like me out there.
    Could it be that your provider is blocking certain ports on the hot spot?
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For all of this, I'm assuming that you havea little more than a base knowledge of networking and computers.

First thing to try: check to see if you are getting a private IP address, if so configure your adapters to do IPv6 and disable IPv4. If that doesn't work, or the VPN is configured for IPv4 only, then see if you can ssh to port 80. The ssh connection should fail with a connection refused message.

Second fire up Wire Shark (you will have to filter the crap out of the log) and trace the connection to see where it is failing. If it's failing in the send side then it's probably the hotspot blocking something, or striping packets (which usually only the high end firewalls, or pfSense, will do). If it's in the ack side, it your not receiving and ack, then the hotspot is blocking things.

To try to resolve this, see if the hotspot can be put into bridge mode (most won't do this); bridge mode will bypass the hotspot firewall.

Second, turn off the hotspot firewall.

Third, put your source system into the DMZ of the hotspot.

Fourth, get a new hotspot. [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    For all of this, I'm assuming that you havea little more than a base knowledge of networking and computers.

First thing to try: check to see if you are getting a private IP address, if so configure your adapters to do IPv6 and disable IPv4. If that doesn't work, or the VPN is configured for IPv4 only, then see if you can ssh to port 80. The ssh connection should fail with a connection refused message.

Second fire up Wire Shark (you will have to filter the crap out of the log) and trace the connection to see where it is failing. If it's failing in the send side then it's probably the hotspot blocking something, or striping packets (which usually only the high end firewalls, or pfSense, will do). If it's in the ack side, it your not receiving and ack, then the hotspot is blocking things.

To try to resolve this, see if the hotspot can be put into bridge mode (most won't do this); bridge mode will bypass the hotspot firewall.

Second, turn off the hotspot firewall.

Third, put your source system into the DMZ of the hotspot.

Fourth, get a new hotspot. [emoji16]

It has to be the port that is getting blocked. This is a phone hotspot so it is not that robust. Because I can do everything (ssh, sftp, etc) i just can't do https
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has to be the port that is getting blocked. This is a phone hotspot so it is not that robust. Because I can do everything (ssh, sftp, etc) i just can't do https
    Ah, it's a phone. It might be blocked by your provider. Can you visit the site on the phone? If so, then your provider thinks you are tethering the phone to get past the data caps.

Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your VPN is terminating on your dev VM, that VM should be able to access the remote servers. The hotspot can't block ports inside the VPN because your traffic is actually encrypted inside a UDP tunnel that's all using the same src/dst port pair. There has to be something else going on here. What happens if you take the laptop to a Starbucks and try the same test?

Are you trying to hit it via IP address directly or is there DNS involved?
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uwskier View Post
    If your VPN is terminating on your dev VM, that VM should be able to access the remote servers. The hotspot can't block ports inside the VPN because your traffic is actually encrypted inside a UDP tunnel that's all using the same src/dst port pair. There has to be something else going on here. What happens if you take the laptop to a Starbucks and try the same test?

Are you trying to hit it via IP address directly or is there DNS involved?
    DNS is involved and it can resolve it, I can ping the servers by name. Just no https.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    does the HTTPS connection typically redirect you to a captive portal/login page or something that would require you to be on a domain that may not be open to VPN clients?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would still be interested to see if this setup works on non-hotspot wifi also like if you are at an RV park with decent wifi, or a Starbucks or something. How do you have the VM networking configured? Is it bridged or NATted?

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uwskier View Post
    I would still be interested to see if this setup works on non-hotspot wifi also like if you are at an RV park with decent wifi, or a Starbucks or something. How do you have the VM networking configured? Is it bridged or NATted?
    Ok, I can do more explaining. This setup I have works 100% at home. No issues at all. I actually set up a nano router (for the RV) to connect to the Hotspot so I could have certain IP addresses (this is needed for the app server to communicate with the database). So my configuration works great until I try to use the hotspot on my phone. I already know the phone hotspot is not great.

I am hoping that a true hotspot will solve these issues since it is more robust but I am not holding my breath.

Overall, this setup works great except when I am connected to the hotspot.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast