User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking of Downsizing from 230RL to Imagine XLS 17MKE and Looking for Imput

My wife and I are considering downgrading from our 2018 150 Series 230RL to an 2023 Imagine XLS 17MKE. We are planning to do a lot more longer trips in the near future and want to be a little smaller and more nimble.
    Has anyone else made a similar transition?
    What things do we need to consider?
    Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 230RL
    2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Crewcab 4x4 with 6'4" box
    Haliburton, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Besides the living space and carrying capacity you would be giving up, the biggest drawback for me would the hitching and unhitching - a lot more time consuming and physical with a travel trailer than a fifth wheel... especially with a weight distributing hitch. The Imagines also don't have auto-level.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Second Chance. No question there is some sacrifice in carrying capacity but now my truck bed will be completely free to store whatever I can't fit in the 17. Also we are hoping to downsize as we never used all the storage space in the 230 RL and being "nimble" is now a higher value.
    Interesting that you says that it takes a lot more time unhitching and hitching as I didn't find it that time consuming before I owned a fifth wheel. Is there something particularly challenging with the 17MKE?

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brucedunning View Post
    Thanks Second Chance. No question there is some sacrifice in carrying capacity but now my truck bed will be completely free to store whatever I can't fit in the 17. Also we are hoping to downsize as we never used all the storage space in the 230 RL and being "nimble" is now a higher value.
    Interesting that you says that it takes a lot more time unhitching and hitching as I didn't find it that time consuming before I owned a fifth wheel. Is there something particularly challenging with the 17MKE?
    No, not the 17MKE specifically. I've owned travel trailers and found that it's a lot more time-consuming and trouble hitching up and installing the WD bars (not to mention lifting the WD parts) than the five minutes it takes me to hitch up the fiver. Perhaps you are younger than I am.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Younger? Perhaps but it doesn’t mean smarter. I’ve really never minded using a standard hitch. Still I would love to be reminded about anything that I might miss.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just traded our 27RL for a 22MLE. One things for sure, all that stuff that came out of the fiver ain't gonna fit back into the 22MLE. But we definitely wanted to downsize and I too look forward to having the truck bed back.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    My wife and I are considering downgrading from our 2018 150 Series 230RL to an 2023 Imagine XLS 17MKE. We are planning to do a lot more longer trips in the near future and want to be a little smaller and more nimble.
    Has anyone else made a similar transition?
    What things do we need to consider?
    Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
    I would hate to offend any 17MKE owners but this time last year we were contemplating the exact same thing. We had our 337RLS for almost 7 years and loved it so much but we wanted to get something smaller for National Parks, etc. We sold the 337 and bought a brand new 17MKE. At first we adored it. It was so cute and easy to maneuver. For us the love affair was short lived. We camped in it 3 times over the next couple of months and sold it. It was just too small for us. The Murphy bed, which we thought was so clever, ended up not be so fond of as you couldn't open it with the slide closed or if you wanted to use both recliners. Not having both a dinette and theater seats we hated and the kitchen layout that , again, we at first through would be awesome, was too hard for 2 people to work in.

We were lucky that the 17MKE sold on the day we posted it and we turned around and bought a new 22 MLE and we absolutely love it. The best of both worlds. My wife calls it her "Goldilocks" trailer. A bed that's always ready to use even with the slide in. Theater seats AND a dinette. A real workable kitchen layout. AND everything is usable and accessible on the road or with the slide in. All that and only 26.1 ft long which is only 4 ft longer.

To each their own though so good luck with your research and I hope whatever you decide works for you.
    Last edited by Paul & Deb; 06-17-2022 at 02:39 PM.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Fireside Member RazorbackRollin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 22mle out of 6 rv's has and is our favorite for 2 people. F150 eco pulls it any where.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your thoughts promoting the 22MLE. We have looked at it and like the layout but the 4 feet extra in length feels significant as we want to be as nimble as possible. How much do you notice it in tight spaces?

Fireside Member RazorbackRollin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your thoughts promoting the 22MLE. We have looked at it and like the layout but the 4 feet extra in length feels significant as we want to be as nimble as possible. How much do you notice it in tight spaces?
    We've owned six RVs including a 31 ft class A motorhome this RV has been great it's easy to maneuver we've gotten it in really small areas haven't had any problems in any parks. The only downside that I have with the mle is the doors for the storage or not quite big enough but they work the storage area is large we just got smaller containers that you can move in easily. The truck pulls it without any issues whatsoever it's very nimble and we've had them in the mountains and in the flat lands no problem whatsoever. Gas mileage is about the typical 12mpg. With the correct sway bar setup it takes about 5 minutes to hook up more or less. We have also made alot of modes to the unit, pantry mirror door, 120volt 20amp outside to inside plug for separate space heater hookup. Dimmable light over table and recliners. And a bunch of other stuff.lol At 26'6" it's easy compared to my past model's.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast