User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Full Timers who prefer state and national parks: what size rig?

This question is for full timers who generally prefer camping at state and national parks. What size rig do you have? Do you wish it was bigger or smaller (or both)?

I know for the parks, having a smaller rig generally makes it easier to get a spot. But when you're full timing, you can really use a little more space. I'm looking for how people balance that, and what works in practice.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Useful info on Nat Parks here:

https://www.cruiseamerica.com/rv-adv...-rv-size-limit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please disregard above link. This link below is better as it shows when the limit is combine RV and TV vs just the RV

https://rvshare.com/blog/national-pa...length-limits/

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Silverado is about 21’ long. Overall length of rig is about 58’. I have to stay outside the park, for the most part. Maybe I need two RV’s, one for long term outings with plenty of room and a second smaller one for National Parks.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyStar View Post
    Please disregard above link. This link below is better as it shows when the limit is combine RV and TV vs just the RV

https://rvshare.com/blog/national-pa...length-limits/
    Thanks, I had found that, but it just shows what the maximum size is for the biggest spot. For example, Devils Garden Campground has a maximum size of 40 feet. There are 15 spots that can handle a 40 foot RV, but there are 44 spots (almost three times as many!) that can handle a 25 foot RV. I'm going to guess that someone with a 40 foot rig is going to have to reserve a lot further in advance than someone with a 25 foot rig.

Also, that page just covers the national parks and I haven't found something similar for state parks, probably because there are a lot more state parks.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomPanning View Post
    Also, that page just covers the national parks and I haven't found something similar for state parks, probably because there are a lot more state parks.
    At most state parks around here (Northeast) you'll find slim pickings for any rig longer than 30 feet (trailer only).
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @TomPanning - sent you a PM.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We travel in our 27RL grand Design Reflection 5th wheel. Actual length is 31feet and the perfect size for us. We downsized from a reflection 337RL which was 36ft cause the sites were limited we could fit. Best thing we ever did. Tara
    Steve & Tara Smiley
    2014 3500 HD Silverado
    2017 Reflection 27RL

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    11 years of full timing in a 40+ foot 5th wheel. We prefer state parks. Around National Parks we tend to stay at private campgrounds near them. The difference? Many of the National Parks are old, ergo, smaller sites. There are some with new or renovated RV camping, those are excellent. But you learn a couple of tricks to help you find sites.

First off know your lengths. How do we fit our 41' 5th wheel into a 35' spot, easy, we hang the back 5 feet off the pad, which also means you need to know your clearance underneath the rear and be able to see pictures of the back of the site, looking for rocks and trees etc.

Second call the park directly. I forget which state it was, but their reservation system only went up to 40', so when I plugged in my 41' length it said no availability. Looking at Google Earth the sites are big and open. So I call the location, tell them what I have. I don't ask them if it would be ok for me to bring my RV in, that requires them giving you permission, which they will not do because of liability issues. I ask them if anyone has ever brought a 40+ footer to this specific spot. The other thing to watch out for is seasonal employees, they often don't have the experience to understand the question. It can get tricky.

You will also learn patience in parking. Many times I have maneuvered inches at a time to get my big box into the little hole. I have many scrape marks on the sides to show the times when I miscalculated.

It is certainly easier with a little RV. But we love our 1 bedroom apartment on wheels with a garage. A good home for us.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750