User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SoftStartRV capacitors, RV Airflows, sealing ducts and other AC musings...

I recently installed a Victron Compact 12/2000 inverter and 300ah Chins LiFePO4 battery. Had no intention of running the AC's but never thought there would be a problem with the inverter/charger passing thru the power from the generator which happily ran both AC's and more before the install. We boondock a lot so running both AC's on the 4k Onan is a must have. It does pass thru 30 amp shore power but refused to pass thru any significant current from the gen. After consulting with a much more knowledgeable person I finally came up with settings that had it working but the MP was obviously not happy. Would trip the inverter on the first compressor start and then run once it reconnected...until we went camping. Would only run 1 AC. Starting the 2nd tripped everything.

Decided that I'd add the SoftStartRV soft start capacitors to both AC's and hope for the best. Super simple install. 5 wires on each unit. I am totally amazed at the results. The inverter now passed thru the current. Both AC's start and run without any sort of trip or overload. I shot a little video to show the current draw from both AC's after the SoftStart RV installs. Pretty impressive really.

Click the pic for the video...

While I was on the AC projects I decided to pull all the vents and seal them. Found several with some pretty significant holes in the ducting and bad transitions at pretty much every vent. Little time and some foil tape took care of that.

Here's a before and after example...

Our '21 Momentum 31G came right from GD with the RV Airflow nodules installed but they did not do any sealing. I foil taped all the edges of the inserts and inside the plenum.

Hopefully all of this will maximize the potential of the Coleman Mach's.
    Last edited by TerryH; 06-19-2022 at 06:48 AM.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great job! You will notice the difference. I did my first ac last summer and it made a huge difference. Running a single ac in 109 deg temps, I was able to get down to 85 inside. Did the second ac this past April. Looking forward to seeing what two ac’s can do now that I have 50amp at home.

Still need to do the Soft Start though.

Great work! Just in time for Uber hot weather.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    Great job! You will notice the difference. I did my first ac last summer and it made a huge difference. Running a single ac in 109 deg temps, I was able to get down to 85 inside. Did the second ac this past April. Looking forward to seeing what two ac’s can do now that I have 50amp at home.

Still need to do the Soft Start though.

Great work! Just in time for Uber hot weather.

Bill
    Thanks Bill! It'll get a test in a couple of weeks. We are boondocking and riding our SXS over the long 4th of July weekend.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2019 Honda Talon X

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X2 Great job! Nice job posting this as well. We only have the Soft Start on the 15K unit, now I want to do the 13.5K unit.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fmartinmn View Post
    X2 Great job! Nice job posting this as well. We only have the Soft Start on the 15K unit, now I want to do the 13.5K unit.
    Thanks Frank! It was the 2nd one starting that caused all of our trouble with the inverter/charger so I did both. Glad I did. I still say every RV air conditioner should have these on them from square one.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2019 Honda Talon X

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fmartinmn View Post
    We sold the class C and purchased a 2021 GD Reflection 240RL
    The salesman said it “probably”has the soft starts on the two AC units. How would I know if it does or doesn’t?

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terry, could you also tell how you got the inside louder of the ceiling vents? I have pulled but won’t go all the way with fear of breaking the louder. I see the housing is screwed into the ceiling, just need to know the spinning louder pull torque lol.
    Randy and Kris

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveleo1 View Post
    The salesman said it “probably”has the soft starts on the two AC units. How would I know if it does or doesn’t?
    They don’t.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveleo1 View Post
    @Steveleo1, you can remove the cover of the air conditioning unit on the roof. Generally, you'd find the soft start (or easy start) mounted just outside where the wire leads go into the covered controls area. If you don't have them, either brand is a pretty easy install.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Louver, louver and louver.
    Randy and Kris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast