Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Proper Hitch Height. 5th wheel is not perfectly level

I wanted to get some opinions on proper hitch height. My truck is not lifted, but I have 35" tires. It seems like the front of the trailer sits higher than the back, although it isn't terrible. I have a BW Companion hitch with the Ford puck system set to the lowest position. Searching online it looks like maybe raising the suspension on the camper is an option, but I wanted to get some opinions on here first.

It seems to pull fine. I don't want to overthink this, and quite possibly this is fine. ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3163.jpg  
    2015 F350 King Ranch
    2021 Reflection 260RD 5th Wheel
    From the Green Mountain State
    (but spends as much time in the Sunshine State as possible)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DalePatterson View Post
    I wanted to get some opinions on proper hitch height. My truck is not lifted, but I have 35" tires. It seems like the front of the trailer sits higher than the back, although it isn't terrible. I have a BW Companion hitch with the Ford puck system set to the lowest position. Searching online it looks like maybe raising the suspension on the camper is an option, but I wanted to get some opinions on here first.

It seems to pull fine. I don't want to overthink this, and quite possibly this is fine. ?
    Seems like you are on a bit of a hill or crown on the driveway unless that is a camera lens effect. Slightly nose high is fine, if it tows fine and you have enough clearance at the back so you don't drag it when going up a campsite or drievway approach you should be fine.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe just the photo, but that looks more than a bit high in the front. Might be why the rear of the truck looks like it's squatting.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    Seems like you are on a bit of a hill or crown on the driveway unless that is a camera lens effect. Slightly nose high is fine, if it tows fine and you have enough clearance at the back so you don't drag it when going up a campsite or drievway approach you should be fine.

Rob
    That's what I was hoping to hear. When I bought the truck a few years ago I put spacers in the front to level out the truck, but it didn't change the back. I think that may be why it looks to be squatting a bit, but if you look at the wheel well spacing it's pretty close front and back. It isn't squatting, and only drops a hair when I put the weight on the hitch. The driveway is pretty flat with no crown so it must be the lens.

MY brother lived in Waterloo for years off the University exit. Been there many times. Small world.
    2015 F350 King Ranch
    2021 Reflection 260RD 5th Wheel
    From the Green Mountain State
    (but spends as much time in the Sunshine State as possible)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DalePatterson View Post

Dale
    First what is the measurement on your bed rail clearance. I shoot for 7"
    Second measure each corner of the trailer from the frame to the ground. If there whiten 1.5" your good in my book. From the photo nothing seems bad.

The other place to measure is from the front and back shackles to the ground on each side. How close is that measurement. With my trailer being 1.5" nose high I am only off 0.25" on the shackles.

You can check your driveway using a long level and a long board to see if it is crowned or what.

Report back if you can on your measurements.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar