User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
    700/6500 = 10.8% which falls into the acceptable 10%-15% range.
    Maybe I am looking at it wrong but 6500 is just the weight on the axles
    You need to add the TW as well making the weight of the trailer as it sits 7200
    A 700 lb TW is unacceptable. Ymmv

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Maybe I am looking at it wrong but 6500 is just the weight on the axles
    You need to add the TW as well making the weight of the trailer as it sits 7200
    A 700 lb TW is unacceptable. Ymmv

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    I just went back and carefully reread their post and they do say axle weight, which as you have observed needs to be added to tongue weight for total trailer weight. That would put them at 9.7% which is under the desired range. While not ideal, I don’t believe however that should be considered dangerous (as you mentioned upstream) and the posting removed.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
    I just went back and carefully reread their post and they do say axle weight, which as you have observed needs to be added to tongue weight for total trailer weight. That would put them at 9.7% which is under the desired range. While not ideal, I don’t believe however that should be considered dangerous (as you mentioned upstream) and the posting removed.
    It is the entire thread that needs removed. It is useless and doesn’t do anyone any good

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Those are dry empty weights
    Grand Design and most all RV companies should be sued posting these numbers
    It is even before they put options in so it is a useless figure
    The trailer tongue alone will be 50-70 lbs heavier right out of the factory then once the dealer installs propane and a battery it will go up again then I doubt you will want to camp in an empty trailer so once you add things the tongue will be almost or over 800 lbs
    My tongue weight is around 900 lbs

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Agreed, the dry tongue weight is 505 pounds for a 2400BH. A battery weighs 65 pounds. Two propane tanks weigh 40 pounds. This would bring just the tongue to 610 pounds. What am I missing? Do they post the dry weight without empty tanks installed? If so that would add maybe 20 more pounds total. Anyway still less than 800 or even 700 pounds. I would also think the tongue would be effected by loading up the front of the trailer with stuff, instead of an even distribution during transport. Now add two battery's and two 30 pound LP tanks and 700 pounds makes sense. How do you get to 900?

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
    Agreed, the dry tongue weight is 505 pounds for a 2400BH. A battery weighs 65 pounds. Two propane tanks weigh 40 pounds. This would bring just the tongue to 610 pounds. What am I missing? Do they post the dry weight without empty tanks installed? If so that would add maybe 20 more pounds total. Anyway still less than 800 or even 700 pounds. I would also think the tongue would be effected by loading up the front of the trailer with stuff, instead of an even distribution during transport. Now add two battery's and two 30 pound LP tanks and 700 pounds makes sense. How do you get to 900?
    My trailer says 505
    Right out of the gate as soon as it left the factory the TW was 560
    Then the dealer added battery and tanks which brings it to 660
    All of the storage is ahead of the axles.
    I carry replacement parts and tools which isn’t light
    I think the cat scale results were around 875lbs
    Then don’t forget the weight of the hitch
    This is a direct force on your tow vehicle
    A hitch will weigh 100 pounds easy

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Grandstander

I searched the forum and found a thread from 5/2020 for someone with a BMW X5 wanting to know about towing a 21BHE, link below. I browsed it and it might be helpful for you to read thru the entire thread.

There is a person who regularly participates on the forum and is the inventory manager for a Grand Design dealer in PA. I’m going to include him here in the hopes that he might shed some light on the factory delivered tongue weight for an XLS 23bhe.
    @hunter70

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...5-2011-bmw-x5d
    Last edited by Tigger1; 06-22-2022 at 12:08 PM.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you look at the 23lde the axles sit pretty far back, it might help with balancing out the weight of the rear kitchen

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robmcqueen View Post
    If you look at the 23lde the axles sit pretty far back, it might help with balancing out the weight of the rear kitchen
    I think I am going to go with the 21bhe. Should be a piece of cake for me to tow!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sure your X5 will have more then enough power. It might get blown around a little due to the short wheelbase. Might want to go onto a BMW forum and ask around how well they tow.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I missed it but have not seen the post containing the payload weight for your X5. I was looking at an Audi Q7 that stated a towing capacity of around 8k. The max tongue weight was under 600. Find your payload, deduct weight of all passengers and luggage, deduct 100 for the hitch and the remaining is your tongue weight. I suspect that the rear suspension will be dramatically under spring and under damped towing that large of a trailer. Find a dealer with one in stock and request a test drive with a visit to the scales. Then you will truly know how it might work. Also, what are your trip expectations? Short local trips over flat terrain tolerate overload better than extended trips through the mountains.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast