User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tonywelle View Post
    Maybe I missed it but have not seen the post containing the payload weight for your X5. I was looking at an Audi Q7 that stated a towing capacity of around 8k. The max tongue weight was under 600. Find your payload, deduct weight of all passengers and luggage, deduct 100 for the hitch and the remaining is your tongue weight. I suspect that the rear suspension will be dramatically under spring and under damped towing that large of a trailer. Find a dealer with one in stock and request a test drive with a visit to the scales. Then you will truly know how it might work. Also, what are your trip expectations? Short local trips over flat terrain tolerate overload better than extended trips through the mountains.
    I have the 3rd row with air suspension so higher payload. Initially short mainly flat trips.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DA408370-410E-4AF2-ABCF-A4213A3E119A.png  
    Last edited by Grandstander; 06-25-2022 at 06:11 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grandstander--I went down a similar road that you are going down and even being pretty conservative with travel trailer choice that I calculated that would be OK. In the end found that I was not satisfied at all. My choice missed the main issues. You own a performance SUV and bought it because it did more than the basic middle of the road vehicle. Your tastes do not match what you are trying to do. What the posts say here come from the best site of its kind that I have been able to find. I respectfully say: Start with the assumption that you do not understand what they are saying. There is a lot of meat in the above posts that take much exposure to comprehend. When running a lot of numbers you may eventually find that you agree that current choices are questionable but even if real numbers look OK the end result will not be pretty.

I encourage you to look for other options.

You will ask yourself why there are so few people pulling campers of this size with performance SUVs. There are very good reasons...
    Last edited by TimtheToolMan; 06-25-2022 at 07:26 PM.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Understood and thank you. I guess I will go another route.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 23BHE, and I used to tow with a Ram1500 Limited. With a family of four and the trailer loaded for a week of camping and empty water tanks, I was 1000 pounds over the GVWR of the truck. I now own a Ram 3500...

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronR View Post
    I have a 23BHE, and I used to tow with a Ram1500 Limited. With a family of four and the trailer loaded for a week of camping and empty water tanks, I was 1000 pounds over the GVWR of the truck. I now own a Ram 3500...

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
    Thank you and everyone who replied to this thread. I am learning a lot here and looks like I will be delaying any purchases as the X5 is my wife’s vehicle that she is not going to give up! I drive an X3 m40i that’s only a year old, so it looks like I am going to have to buy a truck first before considering a travel trailer of this size. I also have changed my mind and am looking at a 2400BH!

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Undecided 23BHE verses 23LDE

Quote Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
    Thank you and everyone who replied to this thread. I am learning a lot here and looks like I will be delaying any purchases as the X5 is my wife’s vehicle that she is not going to give up! I drive an X3 m40i that’s only a year old, so it looks like I am going to have to buy a truck first before considering a travel trailer of this size. I also have changed my mind and am looking at a 2400BH!
    I think this is a good choice
    I don’t know how tall your family is but the biggest reason we went with the “Imagine” line vs the “XLS” is the height
    I was not going to shower with my head in a skylight and the 2400bh has a lot more headroom amongst other things
    Goodluck

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Those are dry empty weights
    Grand Design and most all RV companies should be sued posting these numbers
    It is even before they put options in so it is a useless figure
    The trailer tongue alone will be 50-70 lbs heavier right out of the factory then once the dealer installs propane and a battery it will go up again then I doubt you will want to camp in an empty trailer so once you add things the tongue will be almost or over 800 lbs
    My tongue weight is around 900 lbs

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Agree with @NB Canada, our 2250RK tonque weight sits at 800lbs. The factory build sheet was 55lbs over ad sheet, they do not include Propane/Battery weights as mentioned.
    Mark & Lyne
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    2017 Audi Q7 Premium Plus with factory tow package - 2 sway controllers
    TT Ready for boondocking with solar installed on roof

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it's worth my tongue as measured by a tongue weight scale is 960 lbs when loaded for travel. Factory weight measurements that came with the trailer says it's 600 lbs. empty. Brochure said the tongue weight was 480 lbs. So for starters you can't go by what you are reading in the brochure about weights.

There are a lot of threads on this forum plus many articles and YouTube videos available via the internet that discuss trailer weight and required tow vehicle capabilities. I strongly suggest you do some research before deciding your SUV can safely tow the trailers you have in mind.

Also you didn't mention the maximum weight capacity of your TV. There's a sticker usually on the drivers door panel that provides that information for your vehicle. I'm not familiar with BMW SUVs but there is probably a good chance that when you put 800+ pounds on the back and add your wife and brother in law plus any other item you plan to carry in the SUV you will exceed the maximum load carrying capacity of your SUV. There are a lot of things you need to carry that you don't think about until you actually start traveling. Small air compressor to keep your tires pumped up. Tools in case you need to make repairs. BBQ and/or grill if you like to eat outside. Plus other stuff to numerous to mention but all add weight.

You will also need a weight distributing hitch which can weigh 65 lbs. (like my Anderson) to well over 100 lbs. You need to add that to your weight calculations.
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 F150 XLT V6 EcoBoost SuperCrew 4x4 w/Max trailer towing package

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryS1964 View Post
    For what it's worth my tongue as measured by a tongue weight scale is 960 lbs when loaded for travel. Factory weight measurements that came with the trailer says it's 600 lbs. empty. Brochure said the tongue weight was 480 lbs. So for starters you can't go by what you are reading in the brochure about weights.

There are a lot of threads on this forum plus many articles and YouTube videos available via the internet that discuss trailer weight and required tow vehicle capabilities. I strongly suggest you do some research before deciding your SUV can safely tow the trailers you have in mind.

Also you didn't mention the maximum weight capacity of your TV. There's a sticker usually on the drivers door panel that provides that information for your vehicle. I'm not familiar with BMW SUVs but there is probably a good chance that when you put 800+ pounds on the back and add your wife and brother in law plus any other item you plan to carry in the SUV you will exceed the maximum load carrying capacity of your SUV. There are a lot of things you need to carry that you don't think about until you actually start traveling. Small air compressor to keep your tires pumped up. Tools in case you need to make repairs. BBQ and/or grill if you like to eat outside. Plus other stuff to numerous to mention but all add weight.

You will also need a weight distributing hitch which can weigh 65 lbs. (like my Anderson) to well over 100 lbs. You need to add that to your weight calculations.
    Based on what I have read here and on-line elsewhere I will not be purchasing either of these models. I did look at a 21bhe which keeps me closer to my vehicles capabilities, but based on your findings won’t work. Anyway thanks to everyone that weighed in.
    Last edited by Grandstander; 07-04-2022 at 05:17 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123