User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fun with Schwintek

After 21 years of camping with reliable slides that simply slide in and out when desired, went on my first trip with the brand new 278BH and the slide got stuck halfway out.

Between five of us we got it pushed in this far. It’s still sticking out 9 inches, but I was able to drive it home from the campground. It’s jammed in this position. Won’t go in any more.

I do appreciate that Grand Design includes a nice owner’s manual with troubleshooting steps. Previous trailers I had were very thin on documentation. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5629.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	41292
    2022 Reflection 150 278BH
    2023 Silverado 2500HD Gas
    “If you like how it tows, don’t change anything.”

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Easycamper View Post
    After 21 years of camping with reliable slides that simply slide in and out when desired, went on my first trip with the brand new 278BH and the slide got stuck halfway out.

Between five of us we got it pushed in this far. It’s still sticking out 9 inches, but I was able to drive it home from the campground. It’s jammed in this position. Won’t go in any more.

I do appreciate that Grand Design includes a nice owner’s manual with troubleshooting steps. Previous trailers I had were very thin on documentation. Click image for larger version. 

Did you disconnect all 4 of the motors? You would still be pushing against the internal resistance of the motors, which isn't fun. The recommended way to manually move a side with Schwintek motors is to unplug them, remove the retaining screws (one fire each motor), and physically remove each motor. That still doesn't mean it will be easy to push the slide in, simply because of the weight, but removing the motors will, usually, make a noticable difference.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I removed the motors. The slide is physically jammed, binding somewhere. It was making metal shavings when we tried to push it closed.

There were five of us pushing, and injured myself while doing it.

It’s a terrible design. Slides used to work fine so I guess they needed to come up with a more complicated mechanism. Not impressed that the backup system is “get a bunch of guys and push.”

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I removed the motors. The slide is physically jammed, binding somewhere. It was making metal shavings when we tried to push it closed.

There were five of us pushing, and injured myself while doing it.

It’s a terrible design. Slides used to work fine so I guess they needed to come up with a more complicated mechanism. Not impressed that the backup system is “get a bunch of guys and push.”
    Ah, okay. It is possible that the slide is off center, or even out of square (it happens, not often, but it happens). Do you have a carpenter's square or even a speed square to check the slide box? 98% of the time, the slide is not in the opening correctly, or off center. Unfortunately, the fix for that is not easy as the slide must be suspended and lifted, before recentering it. I would recommend calling Grand Design in the morning and make sure you have plenty of pictures. One thing to note, this may have to go to a dealer to fix it. I don't think a mobile tech will have the necessary tools to "float" the slide.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like something got jammed into the track mechanism. On mine, the seals extended further than they should and the excess was jamming the gears. A little trimming of the seals fixed that before it got to your stage.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the ideas. I reconnected the motors and I was able to get it powered back in, mostly. It's fully retracted at the front and sticking out about 3 inches in the back.

That was good enough to drive it back to the dealer 2 hours away. They have it now and hopefully once fixed I will have years of trouble-free ownership. I've learned far more about how these slides work in the past few days than I ever wanted to know. Good point on the seals and I'll check that when it's back.

I also learned that mobile techs in my area don't work weekends (?). Seems like that would be a prime time for business. Anyway, I'll report back on the final resolution.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As someone that owns a private auto repair shop, I could work 24/7 and I would love it. I've been a German car tech for +40 years and I really like what I do and it's not for the money. Don't tell my clients, but I would do it for free.

In order for me to stay married, I have to take time off. With +30 years with my lovely lady, I want it to be another 30 years.

There is more to life than making money. Prime time is how you spend it and who you spend it with.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    As someone that owns a private auto repair shop, I could work 24/7 and I would love it. I've been a German car tech for +40 years and I really like what I do and it's not for the money. Don't tell my clients, but I would do it for free.

In order for me to stay married, I have to take time off. With +30 years with my lovely lady, I want it to be another 30 years.

There is more to life than making money. Prime time is how you spend it and who you spend it with.
    Totally understandable and I agree with you. I don’t know if it’s typical or not for mobile techs to work weekends or not. I would have paid pretty much anything to get it fixed over the weekend, lol.