User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery Concern on 2022 Reflection 295RL

I'm curious if anyone has had this situation before, we had the 295RL plugged into shore power at home, and noticed an odor, I opened the storage area in front , and the battery was letting off smoke and sulfur odor. I disconnected the battery kill switch, and then disconnected the battery and removed it from the camper, the battery was very hot. I will be going back through our checklist to determine if I got some sort of surge issue or if we just got a bad battery from the original delivery from the dealer and GD.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, welcome to the forum, this is a good place to ask questions like yours.

As you say, you could have a bad battery. Wondering though if it could be the converter. The converter/charger should stop charging when the battery is full.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery Concern on 2022 Reflection 295RL

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you here! Very sorry you are dealing with this.

Here is the first thing that comes to mind on this one. Not sure how long you had the connected, but the converter/chargers are not the greatest, and tend not to go into float mode charging cycle. What this means is they continue to provide bulk level voltages into the battery generating heat and boiling of the liquid inside. I am willing to bet if you look inside the battery (s) they will be dry or very low on electrolyte, hence the smoke and smell. Since it reached that point, also willing to bet the battery is toast.

So, what can you do about it? Fair question.

If nothing else, check the electrolyte levels once a month and add as required. You can add distilled water to keep levels good.

Second thing you can do is a proactive move which is to replace the converter/charger with a higher quality one (I put in a Progressive Dynamics brand), about 250 bucks on Amazon or E-Trailer

Been very happy since.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS