User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Victron Smartshunt install

I just got one and wondering where best place to put it. I know it is not waterproof and I am not sure where on the inside would be best to put it. I think the wires go to the back of my TT.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    I just got one and wondering where best place to put it. I know it is not waterproof and I am not sure where on the inside would be best to put it. I think the wires go to the back of my TT.
    As close to your battery bank as possible. The remote display can be put almost anywhere, just need 14-16 ga wire to extend it.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    As close to your battery bank as possible. The remote display can be put almost anywhere, just need 14-16 ga wire to extend it.

Sorry, this is the bluetooth version. Battery bank (is one a bank?) is on the front of the RV inside the plastic box. Not sure if plastic box battery is in would be considered waterproof. That and there is no room in the box.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    Sorry, this is the bluetooth version. Battery bank (is one a bank?) is on the front of the RV inside the plastic box. Not sure if plastic box battery is in would be considered waterproof. That and there is no room in the box.
    Okay, on the negative side of the battery, as close to the battery as possible. The battery box might be big enough to hold the shunt, if not, you can always buy a weather proof box with grommets and put it on the frame of the trailer, as close you the battery as possible.

Something like this: Zulkit Junction Box ABS Plastic Dustproof Waterproof IP65 Electrical Boxes Hinged Shell Outdoor Universal Project Enclosure 5.9 x 3.9 x 2.8 inch (150x100x70mm) https://a.co/d/0JMGgu3

Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally the shunt can be squeezed in the top of the battery box but it is more trouble and not as clean as using the waterproof box mentioned just above.

To put shunt in the box a flat copper bar needs to be made to mount shunt to negative post, the plastic battery box needs to have the lid joint sealed (one strip on the lid and second on the top of the box) with dense foam tape and the areas where the wires previously came out of the box blocked and sealed. The wires exiting the box fit between the two layers of foam. The vents on the lid need to be sealed. If all this is not done well box will leak. So a lot of work and potentially not sealed well.

You maybe adding more wires to the ground in the external box so make sure that you have more than enough space for wires.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before I did my inverter install I used Velcro and attached the shunt to the side of one of my batteries in the battery box. The box is a Camco duel bat box and there was plenty of room on the side. Never had an issue with water or moisture for over a year of traveling.
    2020 Imagine 2450RL born 7/2019 Anderson hitch
    2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package and RAS
    Both retired - still have our S&B
    US Army vet (Air Cav baby!) Gulf war combat veteran

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are exterior waterproof hobby boxes that could mount to the battery box. Then the shunt in it. That will be my plan when I install my shunt.

https://www.polycase.com/waterproof-enclosures
    Randy and Kris

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The shunt measures the current flowing through a wire. The amount of current at the battery post should be the same as the end of the cable. Where it is mounted should not really matter as long as all those little tiny electrons get measured. It should not matter how close to the battery it is mounted, as long as there are no additional wires where the electrons will bypass the shunt.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    The shunt measures the current flowing through a wire. The amount of current at the battery post should be the same as the end of the cable. Where it is mounted should not really matter as long as all those little tiny electrons get measured. It should not matter how close to the battery it is mounted, as long as there are no additional wires where the electrons will bypass the shunt.
    I would like to know where it goes into the RV because eventually I will be putting in a LiFePo4 battery and those you can put inside. So, I am going to trace some wires tonight to figure out mounting options.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It needs to go on the main ground wire to the battery. There should be no other wire after the shunt. In other words, the next thing in line is the battery. If there is any other wire, it certainly could effect the actual flow of electrons counted.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast