User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    As I stated. I cannot. Needs the client running. I have hit a wall on this. Everyone blames everyone else so I have zero support.
    If it is a web based VPN connection, which most are, you should be able to hit the URL in a web browser. _IF_ it is configured correctly on the corporate side.

If you are being told that you need to be connected to the VPN to hit the VPN URL, that is bunk and will never work. That is like saying that you need to be standing inside the camper to use the key to unlock the door, which is accessible only from the outside of the camper.

It sounds like your IT team doesn't really know what they are talking about. (This is just the feeling I get, based on what you are saying that they are telling you that it is the hotspot, and the the VPN URL can only be accessed while connected to the VPN.)

Honestly, at this point in time, I think I have provided all the troubleshooting I can, without physically seeing your setup and understanding how it's interconnected and works.

The way you described it, in the first post, was very convoluted and, to me, didn't make a whole lot of sense as to why they want you to connect through 2 VMs on the laptop, just to connect to the corporate intranet (or LAN). It really sounds like someone in IT made this convoluted setup, to try to keep their job as they would be the only one who understood how it all works; and it sounds like whoever created this setup might no longer be working with your company.

All of this is conjector and my opinion so, take it for what it's worth.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    If it is a web based VPN connection, which most are, you should be able to hit the URL in a web browser. _IF_ it is configured correctly on the corporate side.

If you are being told that you need to be connected to the VPN to hit the VPN URL, that is bunk and will never work. That is like saying that you need to be standing inside the camper to use the key to unlock the door, which is accessible only from the outside of the camper.

It sounds like your IT team doesn't really know what they are talking about. (This is just the feeling I get, based on what you are saying that they are telling you that it is the hotspot, and the the VPN URL can only be accessed while connected to the VPN.)

Honestly, at this point in time, I think I have provided all the troubleshooting I can, without physically seeing your setup and understanding how it's interconnected and works.

The way you described it, in the first post, was very convoluted and, to me, didn't make a whole lot of sense as to why they want you to connect through 2 VMs on the laptop, just to connect to the corporate intranet (or LAN). It really sounds like someone in IT made this convoluted setup, to try to keep their job as they would be the only one who understood how it all works; and it sounds like whoever created this setup might no longer be working with your company.

All of this is conjector and my opinion so, take it for what it's worth.

I guess I am not communicating this too well. VMs are the way to go in my opinion. If my laptop craps out it takes me a little while to restore the VMs vs having to rebuild the PC. We are keeping my development away from the database because it is easier for delivery.

I see no difference then what any business does. VMs are way easier to deal with. By new hardware, transfer VMs and off you go.

This also allows me to mimic what the main servers have.

Only one of the VMs needs the VPN connection because of our repository.

Again, I must not be communicating it well enough. But the IT guys did give me a hint. The certificate we use is not standard. Ones of those you have to click on to allow it. I assume the hotspot doesn't agree.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I am not communicating this too well. VMs are the way to go in my opinion. If my laptop craps out it takes me a little while to restore the VMs vs having to rebuild the PC. We are keeping my development away from the database because it is easier for delivery.

I see no difference then what any business does. VMs are way easier to deal with. By new hardware, transfer VMs and off you go.

This also allows me to mimic what the main servers have.

Only one of the VMs needs the VPN connection because of our repository.

Again, I must not be communicating it well enough. But the IT guys did give me a hint. The certificate we use is not standard. Ones of those you have to click on to allow it. I assume the hotspot doesn't agree.
    Okay, a non-standard cert might be the issue. But, that is not on the router, that is on the client. So, the problem in my opinion, resides with the VPN client, not the hotspot. The hotspot doesn't care if the cert is valid or not, the client (VPN or web browser) is the application that works with the cert.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, a non-standard cert might be the issue. But, that is not on the router, that is on the client. So, the problem in my opinion, resides with the VPN client, not the hotspot. The hotspot doesn't care if the cert is valid or not, the client (VPN or web browser) is the application that works with the cert.

Yup. Getting too frustrated with this. I do appreciate the help. I guess Starlink, Dish and T-mobile internet are my only options.

Oh, tried it standalone on a different PC just a few minutes ago. Same issue.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup. Getting too frustrated with this. I do appreciate the help. I guess Starlink, Dish and T-mobile internet are my only options.

Oh, tried it standalone on a different PC just a few minutes ago. Same issue.
    This is something your IT department should be resolving. I would escalate the issue up your COC.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is something your IT department should be resolving. I would escalate the issue up your COC.

MoonShadow is correct. The certificate is there so that the VPN server can authenticate the VPN client and establish an encrypted connection. The hotspot is just a means to connect to the internet to pass traffic. Neither the client nor the server should care how you connect to the internet. The hotspot is just one of many routers that the connection passes through between the client and the server. Run a tracert cmd to any known IP like Google (8.8.8.8) and you'll see several. More obscure IPs will have more.
    2016 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
    2021 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3550BH

Camp Sites - https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...fw&usp=sharing

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManageIT View Post
    MoonShadow is correct. The certificate is there so that the VPN server can authenticate the VPN client and establish an encrypted connection. The hotspot is just a means to connect to the internet to pass traffic. Neither the client nor the server should care how you connect to the internet. The hotspot is just one of many routers that the connection passes through between the client and the server. Run a tracert cmd to any known IP like Google (8.8.8.8) and you'll see several. More obscure IPs will have more.
    Well, as I stated everyone points the finger at everyone else. They don't really want to bother because it works fine with my current set up. This is my choice to take it on the road so this is my issue to fix. They went with Wireguard which is open source and free (the magic word). It is also not very well supported.

I did a bunch of research and I am not the only one with this isssue. It is not some funky configuration that nobody uses. I have narrowed it down to either the hotspot (no firewall that I can touch) or the VPN software itself. Since I can't work with either, I am stuck with what I have.

I did run Wireshark (too many Wire.... names). I ran it with normal connection and then hotspot. It looks like it is the coming back that has the issue. Wireshark is not very easy to use and the messages are not very handy.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    . So, I am looking for an Internet provider that is similar to T-Mobile's Home Internet. WHat are my options?
    I'll leave all the tech talk to those that can speak the language.

I had looked into the Verizon version of home internet thinking it would be perfect for the RV. The issue with that one was it is not available in all markets, so that is a big negative on using that one. Haven't researched T mobiles home internet but wonder if there are as many dead zones.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    I'll leave all the tech talk to those that can speak the language.

I had looked into the Verizon version of home internet thinking it would be perfect for the RV. The issue with that one was it is not available in all markets, so that is a big negative on using that one. Haven't researched T mobiles home internet but wonder if there are as many dead zones.
    T-Mobile is getting better for coverage. You are usually covered along the Interstates and in larger towns.

If you are boondocking, or staying at an RV park in the middle of nowhere, you probably won't get cell signal for either Verizon or T-Mobile. Also, AT&T seems to have better coverage along the East Coast.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was surprised at the T-Mobile coverage between NH, SD, NC, and points in between - much better than my Verizon coverage. However, T-Mobile Home is not available in all areas either - not yet in my area of NH - I tried to sign up and nyet.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast