User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for not hotpsot

Some may have read but due to configuration at work a hotspot is out of the question for me. The software we have running will not go through a hotspot. So, I am looking for an Internet provider that is similar to T-Mobile's Home Internet. WHat are my options?

Starling is probably out of the question because we live in NY and we have these natural firewalls called trees at many of the places we go.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    Some may have read but due to configuration at work a hotspot is out of the question for me. The software we have running will not go through a hotspot. So, I am looking for an Internet provider that is similar to T-Mobile's Home Internet. WHat are my options?

Starling is probably out of the question because we live in NY and we have these natural firewalls called trees at many of the places we go.
    Honestly, then you are out of luck, unless you stay at places that cable internet can be connected. The options for mobile connectivity are: cellular, Starlink, other satellite providers (HughesNet, etc.), WiFi at coffee shops and what not.

The T-Mobile and Verizon "home internet" devices are very similar to a cable modem and do not have the possible restrictions that a hotspot might have.

Honestly, something doesn't sound right on the configuration. I used to run my firewall (which is pfSense) connecting via both OpenVPN and Wireguard to my place of work to ensure end-to-end encryption. At one point in time, I configured pfSense to use Squid Proxy so that all traffic ran through the proxy for filtering. All of this on a Verizon, then T-Mobile hotspot.

Troubleshooting the issue you brought up, without really knowing the configuration you have and the reason(s) why they have everything running through a VM proxy, is a bit difficult.

Personally,. I would be running Wireshark to see where the packets are being dropped, however, configuring Wireshark filtering to get what you need is very tedious.

Sorry for the not-so-good news.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Honestly, then you are out of luck, unless you stay at places that cable internet can be connected. The options for mobile connectivity are: cellular, Starlink, other satellite providers (HughesNet, etc.), WiFi at coffee shops and what not.

The T-Mobile and Verizon "home internet" devices are very similar to a cable modem and do not have the possible restrictions that a hotspot might have.

Honestly, something doesn't sound right on the configuration. I used to run my firewall (which is pfSense) connecting via both OpenVPN and Wireguard to my place of work to ensure end-to-end encryption. At one point in time, I configured pfSense to use Squid Proxy so that all traffic ran through the proxy for filtering. All of this on a Verizon, then T-Mobile hotspot.

Troubleshooting the issue you brought up, without really knowing the configuration you have and the reason(s) why they have everything running through a VM proxy, is a bit difficult.

Personally,. I would be running Wireshark to see where the packets are being dropped, however, configuring Wireshark filtering to get what you need is very tedious.

Sorry for the not-so-good news.

I have chatted with a few people about the hotspots. Seems like people with configurations that require the use of VPNs have issues. So, I am stuck with what I have. IT people here say it just won't work. People that work at banks remotely have the same issues.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have chatted with a few people about the hotspots. Seems like people with configurations that require the use of VPNs have issues. So, I am stuck with what I have. IT people here say it just won't work. People that work at banks remotely have the same issues.
    Huh, that is interesting. My job requires a VPN, we use the Citrix VPN solution, and I have never had an issue. I work in Healthcare IT, so my connect to my work must be secure and encrypted.

Being in IT, for the last 35 years, I know that I have told my customers that there is no other way to do something because I didn't want to make the changes necessary to allow them to work the way the want/need to. Over the years, I have changed my position from an IT blocker to an IT enabler. Essentially, I have taken the view that it is my job, as IT, to help my customers do their job as efficiently as possible, with the tools they want (or prefer) to use. It's not a popular position as sometimes it costs more to do things that way, however, I find that I have much more happier customers.

Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in IT and never had an issue with VPN through hotpots. In fact, we have several depts that travel and their only connectivity VPN through hotspot. Never used Citrix solutions though. Have used Aruba and use Forticlient currently.

Looks like it's possible but they haven't configured it...https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix...pn-policy.html
    2016 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
    2021 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3550BH

Camp Sites - https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...fw&usp=sharing

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManageIT View Post
    I'm in IT and never had an issue with VPN through hotpots. In fact, we have several depts that travel and their only connectivity VPN through hotspot. Never used Citrix solutions though. Have used Aruba and use Forticlient currently.

Looks like it's possible but they haven't configured it...https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix...pn-policy.html
    Everything I am reading says no way. I need port 443 open. I can ping, ssh, sftp but no https.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And to clarify, the VPN client is running on my VM. I am very sure it is the carrier that is blocking me.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And to clarify, the VPN client is running on my VM. I am very sure it is the carrier that is blocking me.
    What type of VM are you running? Is it on the local PC or are you accessing a virtual desktop environment?
    2016 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
    2021 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3550BH

Camp Sites - https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...fw&usp=sharing

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blocking port 443 sounds odd as that blocks almost all websites. I have no HTTPS issues using a visible, Verizon or purtalk hotspot. Sometimes just direct to the phone, with the visible generally through a portable router.

Is this hotspot possibly on a company owned phone? I wonder if they block it to stop web surfing
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManageIT View Post
    What type of VM are you running? Is it on the local PC or are you accessing a virtual desktop environment?
    My Laptop runs two VMs. Both are CentOS 8.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast