User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pulling 17MKE with a Ram 2500 vs a Ram 1500

I still have not made the decision whether to get the 17MKE but we are leaning that way.

Currently we have a 2018 Dodge Ram 6.4 Hemi and we would initially use that as our tow vehicle. Does anyone have experience on how good of mileage you would get pulling this?

One thing we are considering is downgrading our truck to a new Dodge Ram 5.7 Hemi. We anyhow know what kind of mileage this would get and whether it would be worth the trade?
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 230RL
    2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Crewcab 4x4 with 6'4" box
    Haliburton, Ontario, Canada

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are pulling our 2021 22RBE with a 2021 Ram 2500 Hemi. It is the Tradesman model because we wanted the max payload and towing numbers (and I am cheap). We get about 9-11 MPG on the highway. I normally set the cruise at no higher than 65 MPH. The good thing about this combination is that it pulls the trailer with no problem. The 22RBE dry weight is 5125, GVWR of 6995 and a tongue weight of 497. All these numbers are from the specs, I have never bothered weighing it as even fully loaded at 7000 lbs and doubling the tongue weight I am at 50% or below of the trucks towing and payload numbers (towing 14,686, payload 3186).
    Our previous trailer was an A-Frame we rebuilt towed by a Honda CR-V that was at or above the towing and payload numbers. Not having to give a second thought to what we put in the trailer and the truck bed is worth at least part of the poor mileage.
    We have some friends with a Lance about the size of our 22RBE who started with a Ram 1500 but were blown around to much on the highway so they upgraded to a Ram 2500 and are much, much more relaxed when they are on the road. We took their advice and bought our second truck first.

Edited to add: Just thought I should add to what I wrote above, we have about 3000 miles pulling the trailer with the 2500 so I am certainly not an expert. There are others on this forum who have far more expertise so take my comments with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by alias100; 06-21-2022 at 06:06 PM.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2021 Ram 2500 Hemi, Crew Cab Short Bed
    2-206 AH SOK Batteries, Victron MultiPlus 3000VA Inverter, 800 watts solar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alias100 View Post
    We are pulling our 2021 22RBE with a 2021 Ram 2500 Hemi. It is the Tradesman model because we wanted the max payload and towing numbers (and I am cheap). We get about 9-11 MPG on the highway. I normally set the cruise at no higher than 65 MPH. The good thing about this combination is that it pulls the trailer with no problem. The 22RBE dry weight is 5125, GVWR of 6995 and a tongue weight of 497. All these numbers are from the specs, I have never bothered weighing it as even fully loaded at 7000 lbs and doubling the tongue weight I am at 50% or below of the trucks towing and payload numbers (towing 14,686, payload 3186).
    Our previous trailer was an A-Frame we rebuilt towed by a Honda CR-V that was at or above the towing and payload numbers. Not having to give a second thought to what we put in the trailer and the truck bed is worth at least part of the poor mileage.
    We have some friends with a Lance about the size of our 22RBE who started with a Ram 1500 but were blown around to much on the highway so they upgraded to a Ram 2500 and are much, much more relaxed when they are on the road. We took their advice and bought our second truck first.

Edited to add: Just thought I should add to what I wrote above, we have about 3000 miles pulling the trailer with the 2500 so I am certainly not an expert. There are others on this forum who have far more expertise so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Thanks Alias100. That is helpful. I appreciate your whole post. With the price of fuel here in Canada these days it isn't cheap pulling with a 2500 which is why I was considering a 1500 but I don't want to get blown around either.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pulling 17MKE with a Ram 2500 vs a Ram 1500

The difference would be barely noticeable.

It is a boat anchor that you are hauling basically
    Fuel economy needs to be forgotten

This is why we camp in one area for weeks at a time minimizing driving

We travel to an area around 300 km from our home and it will cost us likely 500 in fuel. Just part of the fun

Unsure why you think you would be “blown around” if you did trade

A properly set up hitch is the key not the truck

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Last edited by NB Canada; 06-22-2022 at 03:36 AM.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tow a 21bhe with a Chevy colorado. Tows well and don't get blown around, barely even notice when a semi goes by. MPG is around 10 towing and 25 when not towing. With a good properly setup hitch you won't have any problems with either a 1500 or 2500.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post

We travel to an area around 300 km from our home and it will cost us likely 500 in fuel. Just part of the fun

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Thanks for your thoughts. I'm beginning to think that it may not be worth it to downsize if I don't get better fuel economy. We love our current 230RL for what we refer to as "cottage camping". We were just considering downsizing to save on fuel expense when we travel 24 hours, two times a year, to see our grandkids. We've also considered getting a second small teardrop trailer just for that purpose. Of course Grand Designs doesn't make anything like that and I'm not sure we want to own two trailers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    I just mentioned this because, in another thread, someone mentioned that they will pulling a Lance with a 1500 and felt like they were being "blown around" and so they upgraded to a 2500.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 6.2 gasser F250 actually gets better mileage than the 3.5 Ecoboost F150 I had. 8.5MPG vs 8.0 (average).
    To do over I'd probably opt for the 7.3 gasser and 10-speed. I couldn't and still can't justify a Diesel.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You either want to pull it easily ( mid point of its payload capacity in the 2500) or you want it at the upper end of the payload limits (1500)

While you may be able to do it. Over time the truck works harder so issues may not show up for a while. You get the standard we’ve pulled with a 1500 for years with no problem blah blah statements. Rarely do you see people downsize , in fact the opposite direction is the norm.

Besides you already have the 2500. It will loaf with your load.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    You either want to pull it easily ( mid point of its payload capacity in the 2500) or you want it at the upper end of the payload limits (1500)

While you may be able to do it. Over time the truck works harder so issues may not show up for a while. You get the standard we’ve pulled with a 1500 for years with no problem blah blah statements. Rarely do you see people downsize , in fact the opposite direction is the norm.

Besides you already have the 2500. It will loaf with your load.
    As time goes on I'm beginning to think the same thing and maybe just keep my 2500. Originally I was hoping to downsize to save money on fuel but now I'm not ever convinced that would be the case as the 2500 is much more suited for pulling.