User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clear window replacement in door

I'm considering replacing the window in the door of my 2022 303 to the clear window with a shade.
    Been thinking about heat and security. There are only a couple on the mkt, but is there any input on one brand or the other for quality? Is there any issues with the built in shade? The install looks pretty straight fwd.

Thanks
    Ray
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I swapped our opaque window for the Lippert Thin Shade. Kit came with everything needed including the tool to release the 'pins' that hold the window together in the door. I was able to do the swap by myself (didn't have any help available) but two people (and a short ladder) would make it go A LOT easier.

The shade can be difficult to operate at times but not every time. Biggest issue is you have to be between the screen door and the door to operate the shade. I usually have to open the door, step outside, close the screen door then operate the shade. I've done it a couple of times by just opening the doors, leaning out and reaching between the screen door and door but, as mentioned earlier, sometimes the shade can be 'fussy'.

Biggest plus is that when our door is facing the sun even the tinted window blocks the light better than the opaque glass did.
    bill

TT: 2021 261BH Transcend Xplor
    TV: 2017 F250 FX4 6.2l

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup the thin shade has been great for us.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our Solitude came with a clear window in the door (the only piece of non-insulated glass in the rig). It played heck with the thermostat on the wall right across from it, both with the sun shining in when it's hot and with cold air when it's cold. I also didn't like the lack of privacy. My solution: cut a piece of Reflectix to fit inside the window frame on the inside of the door. It insulates the window (to a degree), blocks the sun, provides privacy, and keep the place dark when we want it that way. It's easy to pull out if desired.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We took the cheap way out - a piece of foam craft board cut to fit that just gets pushed in when we want the sun blocked.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess Larry, I was thinking security, when someone comes knocking, you don't know whom your opening the door for....if a bad guy, it would be too late.
    Clear, you can see out.
    Thanks
    Ray

QUOTE=traveldawg;433522]We took the cheap way out - a piece of foam craft board cut to fit that just gets pushed in when we want the sun blocked.[/QUOTE]

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Clear, you can see out."

And vice versa.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    👍

QUOTE=Hoopy Frood;433539]"Clear, you can see out."

And vice versa.[/QUOTE]

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote here for the Thin Shade. We hated the frosted glass that came with our rig, as we would have to bend over the counter to peer out of the kitchen window to see who was on the curb side, and even then could not always see who was at the door depending on the angle. We love the tinted (smoked) glass, and the option to pull the shade down for total privacy. As was stated above, it is a complete solution, and fairly easy to install. The other popular solution is the 'Slim Shade'. We have no experience with that one, nor know anyone personally that has one.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    I guess Larry, I was thinking security, when someone comes knocking, you don't know whom your opening the door for....if a bad guy, it would be too late.
    Clear, you can see out.
    Thanks
    Ray

QUOTE=traveldawg;433522]We took the cheap way out - a piece of foam craft board cut to fit that just gets pushed in when we want the sun blocked.
    [/QUOTE]

So true. But any shade that goes in there can't be seen through either without opening the door. I guess we can always look out the side window near the dinette.

We had a motorhome once that had a pull down room darkening shade on the inside of the RV. It worked really well to block light and was easy to raise and lower.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast