User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimtheToolMan View Post
    Operating range is one thing but what about reduced life at high temperatures? Does anyone have any test data to show impact on LiFePO4 battery longevity when used or stored at higher temperatures? Also what about longevity when stored at full charge?
    I recently read an article where the researchers heated up the LiFePo4 batteries in order to induce faster charging speeds for Electric Vehicles. From this I surmise that they would not be following this line of inquiry if they had determined the higher temps would decrease battery longevity.

From what I have gathered, LiFePo4 batteries like to be charged to 100%. This combined with Battle Born's recommendation to store their batteries at 100% leads me to conclude that LiFePo4 batteries should be stored at 100% charge. Naturally, the batteries will loose a few percentage points of charge during their storage period, but, I would begin the storage period at 100%
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    My guess is that they want to sell you some more batteries sooner, rather than later when they fail prematurely because of being stored at full 100% SOC.
    With a 10 year warranty, I doubt that Battle Born is going to give you any advise that would shorten the battery life of their batteries.

I might also add that Elon Musk recommends that Tesla's with the LiFePo4 battery packs also be maintained at 100%
    David and Peggy
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a side note about the low temp issues, if anyone is using Victron inverter/chargers, Victron has added low temp cutoff protection in the latest firmware updates. That makes the lack of low temp protection in lots of these batteries a non-issue.

2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    With a 10 year warranty, I doubt that Battle Born is going to give you any advise that would shorten the battery life of their batteries.

I might also add that Elon Musk recommends that Tesla's with the LiFePo4 battery packs also be maintained at 100%
    It was actually a joke.........guess I forgot to include the smiley after my comment. But in all seriousness, I cannot understand why almost all LFP battery manufacturers would state to NOT store them fully charged to 100 SOC. And realistically with Tesla and it being a car battery, "maintaining" it seems to me that would be very different than "storing" it. Cars are mostly driven on a daily basis....or at least a few times a week.....so that to me might be the difference. RVs many times are "Stored" over the winter months and that can be anywhere from maybe 3 or 4 months to maybe as long as 6 to 7 months, depending on where you live climate-wise.

Another difference between BattleBorn and most of the other manufacturers of LFP batteries is that BB uses cylindrical cells in their batteries vs. Prismatic cells for most of the others....maybe there is a difference in the two different types of cells, but that is just a guess on my part...not actual facts as far as I know.
    Last edited by xrated; 06-25-2022 at 12:48 PM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
    On a side note about the low temp issues, if anyone is using Victron inverter/chargers, Victron has added low temp cutoff protection in the latest firmware updates. That makes the lack of low temp protection in lots of these batteries a non-issue.

This is very true, also many high quality MPPT Solar Charge controllers have a low temp cutoff as well.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used a Daly Smart BMS on my DIY battery build and it is also fully programable as far as temperature cutoffs, battery chemistry, low and high voltage cutoff, etc, etc. It also has a Bluetooth module that communications with the Daly software on my Android phone and I can monitor or look at battery activity on my phone, even when inside the trailer or outside around the trailer.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used a Daly Smart BMS on my DIY battery build and it is also fully programable as far as temperature cutoffs, battery chemistry, low and high voltage cutoff, etc, etc. It also has a Bluetooth module that communications with the Daly software on my Android phone and I can monitor or look at battery activity on my phone, even when inside the trailer or outside around the trailer.
    Many LiFePo4 batteries also have BlueTooth capabilities built into them.
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Many LiFePo4 batteries also have BlueTooth capabilities built into them.
    Yes Sir....and that's the "Smart" thing to do............see what I did with that!

On the Daly Smart BMS, they've recently added a button to the B.T. module to turn the BMS on if it goes into sleep mode while it's basically idle, which was nice...but, since my battery and BMS is in the front generator compartment, that would be kind of a pain to have to go out there and push a button to wake it up. So I found a thread on the DIYsolarforums that told how to put a certain number into the settings for sleep, and the BMS will never shut off. Of course it uses a bit of battery power....small milliamps amount, so I'm not too worried about that.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes Sir....and that's the "Smart" thing to do............see what I did with that!

On the Daly Smart BMS, they've recently added a button to the B.T. module to turn the BMS on if it goes into sleep mode while it's basically idle, which was nice...but, since my battery and BMS is in the front generator compartment, that would be kind of a pain to have to go out there and push a button to wake it up. So I found a thread on the DIYsolarforums that told how to put a certain number into the settings for sleep, and the BMS will never shut off. Of course it uses a bit of battery power....small milliamps amount, so I'm not too worried about that.
    That's a "Smart" Tip...
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought two BB last year. Yes...you'll have to have the conversion but it's well worth it. One of the best things we ever did....especially if you do a lot of dry camping. You won't be sorry.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast