User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lithium Ion Batteries

Hello, I am going to upgrade from a LA battery to a Lithium Ion 100ah battery. I understand I will need to upgrade my converter/charger also. What is your experience, pros & cons with Battle Born & Dakota batteries? Also anyone using Lithium Hub brand batteries?...........and one more question: Is the converter for a Reflection 303rls located behind the front storage bin panel?
    Thanks!
    JP
    2019 Reflection 303RLS 5th wheel
    2020 F-250 SRW Lariat Crew Cab
    Pull Rite 16k Super Slide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 4 of the Battle Born 100ah and have been great. The company has also been awesome to deal with in answering questions about the system design I was planning (going to Victron Multiplus-II, integrating the generator and a Victron solar controller sized for my plan with panels, etc). They are definitely on the high end of pricing, but a great warranty and service to back it up.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have two BB LiFePO4 100AH batteries in our rig (switched out the converter-charger for a lithium compatible model). We couldn't be more pleased. I've also found Battle Born to be one of - if not the - most responsive and helpful companies I've ever dealt with.

Yes - the converter-charger is behind the basement wall on the fifth wheels.

Perhaps @SolarPoweredRV can give you information on other lithium battery brands.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry P View Post
    Hello, I am going to upgrade from a LA battery to a Lithium Ion 100ah battery.
    I do not think there are many here that have upgraded to Lithium Ion. Lithium Hub batteries do not appear to sell Lithium Ion batteries.

If you are mistaken and are upgrading to LiFePo4 batteries, there are a few that have experience.

I'm in the process of installing LiFePo4 batteries in my 29RS right now. I can say for certain, a fully charged LiFePo4 battery will not take a charge with the stock converter. The fully charged battery had a higher voltage than the converter.

In my installation, I did purchase a new converter. It is a 100A version [capable of the higher voltage a LiFePo4 needs] because with +600ah capacity, I wanted to charge them ASAP while plugged in. I think you would be foolish not to replace the converter at some point in time. Why have a 30 gallon fuel tank if you are only going to fill it up to 24 gallons? You certainly could space out your budget by purchasing one later, but to get the most out of the batteries, you need to figure out how to charge them completely.

If you do install a larger converter, then you may need to upgrade the wiring to handle. My stock trailer had 6ga wires that fed the panel/batteries. I changed the cable to 4ga.

If you like data, I would get some type of shunt so you can see how much power you got stored. You can get a cheap one or go all out, but as far as I'm concerned, it's must. Just like the converter.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry P View Post
    Hello, I am going to upgrade from a LA battery to a Lithium Ion 100ah battery. I understand I will need to upgrade my converter/charger also. What is your experience, pros & cons with Battle Born & Dakota batteries? Also anyone using Lithium Hub brand batteries?...........and one more question: Is the converter for a Reflection 303rls located behind the front storage bin panel?
    Thanks!
    Congratulations on upgrading your battery to Lithium.

In my installation I have two smaller Dakota batteries (10ah each) and they have performed flawlessly.

Have you read the post "Cheap Lithium Batteries are Coming" (link below)? In that post several alternative to Battle Born batteries are discussed and there is a spreadsheet with current pricing (at the time) included. Several views of choosing Battle Born batteries over Non-Battle Born batteries are included in the discussion.

If you are looking at a particular battery, you might want to check out Will Prowse' YouTube channel where he tears down different batteries and discusses the internal components.

One Issue with Lithium batteries that you need to be aware of is that they can not be charged when the internal temperature of the battery is below 32 degrees, they can be used, just not charged. Consequently, you want to ensure your battery is placed inside a heated hold, or that it has a cold temperature sensor that will stop the charging until the internal temps are above freezing.

Storing your camper with the Lithium batteries in cold weather is not a problem unless you have Solar charging, or you keep it plugged in so the Converter could charge the battery. Remember, you can use your batteries in the cold, just not charge them if they are below freezing.

Link to Cheap Lithium Batteries:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...322#post341322
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are a Costco member you might want to take a look at their two pack of Lion Energy batteries. Will Prowse did a comparison between them and BB's. The things HE was concerned about didn't sway me at the least. A little less than BB's when they have them on sale.
    2020 Imagine 2450RL born 7/2019 Anderson hitch
    2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package and RAS
    Both retired - still have our S&B
    US Army vet (Air Cav baby!) Gulf war combat veteran

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed two Battleborns, a Progressive Dynamics LiFePO4 aware converter, and a Victron battery monitor. Last month travel, residential fridge stayed at 37 even with the TV and lights on at night at 4 Harvest Host locations despite cloudy weather during the day. Was pretty impressed with the factory solar efficiency and the performance. Expect you will find similar with other brands - I just took the one that I felt walked me through the whole upgrade process.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank You All for the great advice & help....Think I'm going with the BB battery & PD converter.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobinICT View Post
    If you are a Costco member you might want to take a look at their two pack of Lion Energy batteries. Will Prowse did a comparison between them and BB's. The things HE was concerned about didn't sway me at the least.
    Based on the Will Prowse review and a friend having good success with them, we purchased 2x Lion Energy UT1300 batteries and we have plans to add 2-4 more in the future. We've been happy with them so far.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WondersAwait View Post
    Based on the Will Prowse review and a friend having good success with them, we purchased 2x Lion Energy UT1300 batteries and we have plans to add 2-4 more in the future. We've been happy with them so far.
    Good to know Thanks!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast