Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Portable tank

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    This caught my eye..... the tanks sensors are sooooo unreliable; so I'm not sure 3/4 full means 3/4's full especially when I dump my tanks and the tank is still "3/4 full".

On my rig when the the main grey overfills it backs up in the shower. So maybe just not dump and see if your's does the same (I wouldn't try this unless I had full hook ups).

We've gone 4 to 5 days using the "navy shower" method. Years ago, when had to be really conservative and it took a long time for the shower water to get hot we ran the shower into a bucket until it reached the right temp for us. Then we used the bucket water to flush the toilet. Beside conserving fresh water, it kept the grey water tank from filling prematurley.

You can measure the amount of water you use when showering....
    • First run the shower water for a minute into a bucket and measure how much water accumulates.
    • Then, the next time you shower, time how long you run the water for wetting and rinsing (and remember - once you are wet, you are wet; you don't need more water to get "wetter").
    • Once you know how much water is used in a minute (step one) you can just multiply the number of minutes you run the water to shower times the gallons per minute you calculated in step one.

Our DIL runs the water until the hot water gets cold - talk about filling a holding tank quickly! It drives me crazy.

Don't forget to take full advantage of those wonderful public showers in the campground too.
    I guess it will have to be a learning process on my end as to how much water is in the tanks. With full hookups we don't do the military showers since we can easily drain them. If no damage is done to the RV I can just not drain the tanks and see how long it takes to fill up.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's one more thought about knowing how much water you're generating: There are water flow meters you can install between the water supply and the RV inlet. You can use that to estimate how much water you're using per day or per event. From our experience, my showers consume about 1.5 gallons while SWMBO "needs" 2.5 gallons, even though she's much smaller than me - go figger.
    Pam and Doug
    2017 F350 (the Dragon) with 2015 GD Ref 337RLS (the Dragon's Tail)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonDriver View Post
    Here's one more thought about knowing how much water you're generating: There are water flow meters you can install between the water supply and the RV inlet. You can use that to estimate how much water you're using per day or per event. From our experience, my showers consume about 1.5 gallons while SWMBO "needs" 2.5 gallons, even though she's much smaller than me - go figger.
    As my Wife says, "You try shaving your legs in that damn shower." I have been looking at different things. Someone mentioned using a small kiddie pool and using that to evaporate the grey water. In Arizona that may work fine but or 75% humidity here it may take a while.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have filled mine to capacity once and the sink and shower quit draining. I could have extended the capacity by opening both grey tanks with the external gate valve closed which allows the kitchen grey to take some of the bathroom water. We use very little water in the kitchen so usually have extra room in that tank.
    2016 29RS
    2008 2500 Chevy Duramax Diesel CC LTZ
    Prev 5er 2010 Outback 321FRL
    1994 Chevy 6.5TD 2500 ext Cab
    25ft Coachman Catalina TT
    Skamper Pop UP
    Various tents
    ALL great memories:D

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In our 315RLTS the gray water tanks simply back into the lowest drain feeding them if they completely fill. You know the tank is full if you're suddenly standing in water in the shower!

We have had good luck limiting our kitchen gray dramatically by using the outside shower for dish washing. We just place a 2'x4' plastic folding table there as part of our standard set up.
    2019 GMC 2500HD Duramax
    2017 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LawDawg View Post
    In our 315RLTS the gray water tanks simply back into the lowest drain feeding them if they completely fill. You know the tank is full if you're suddenly standing in water in the shower!

We have had good luck limiting our kitchen gray dramatically by using the outside shower for dish washing. We just place a 2'x4' plastic folding table there as part of our standard set up.
    To clarify: The gray water tanks can be "shared" ONLY if: 1) You have a closed Valtera-like shut-off valve right before the drain pipe; 2) You keep the two gray tank drains open; and, 3) MOST IMPORTANTLY! Keep the Black tank valve CLOSED or you'll contaminate the gray tanks.

One follow-up question: How do you then dispose of the dish water, if not by dumping back into the gray tank system? In our state we can't drop it on the ground.
    Pam and Doug
    2017 F350 (the Dragon) with 2015 GD Ref 337RLS (the Dragon's Tail)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123